Status
Not open for further replies.

carrotcake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
USA
Thank you so much everyone.

So snus is "safe" at least compared to cigarettes. ejuice doesn't work for me period. I tried it a whole day once and felt horrific until I broke down at night and smoked half a pack and finally felt right. I would have NEVER thought snus would be safer. I actually thought cigarettes were safer.

So to summarize:

I found real swedish snus here in the usa, got some General. It's cheap. What's the benefit of ordering from say Northerner.com? Is my area just good because tons of stores have real made in sweden snus?

vaping it doesn't work.

Snus + wta juice is much safer than cigarettes and hopefully I can finally quit.

I have no intention of ever quitting nicotine.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Coming fra country where "everyone" use snus, I think it's quite safe, on par with e-cigs for sure. :)

Personally I can't stand it.

Beautiful country....I was working both in Oslo and Mora back in 08' and enjoyed the regions.

I was thrown back when I purchased a pack of traditional cigarettes (cost was around $11.00 USD in Oslo).

I did not use anything else and lacked the knowledge regarding other alternatives.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Great post....!!!

I'm curious to get your input on snuff?

Is snuff safer than snus?

I think snuff works pretty well once I learned how to ingest it properly.

Granted there is a stigma with snuff but it works well for me and I enjoy it on several occasions.
When I think of Snuff, this is what pops into my head.
170px-Schnupfer_corrected.jpg

I used nasal snuff for a couple of weeks, and abandoned it as a wretched, vile experiment.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I'm curious to get your input on snuff?

Is snuff safer than snus?

I think snuff works pretty well once I learned how to ingest it properly.

Granted there is a stigma with snuff but it works well for me and I enjoy it on several occasions.

There are very little in the way of studies on snuff (I assume you mean nasal snuff) but from what can be had out there the risk is very small for any serious harm. Some people claim it is the least risky of all tobacco products, but the studies aren't really there to make the claim.

The american snuff tends to be higher in TSNA then others. I highly recommend snuff from the UK. Togue has said there TSNA levels are 2 something parts per million which is comparable to snus. Even less when you consider the amount used is less. There is only so much 'bacco I can stuff up my nose.

Snuff is the tobacco of the gods, though the gods are a bit messy.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Last edited:

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Yep, that about sums it up. without the LOL. Now I'm finding myself looking at vintage snuff boxes on eBay. Even put one on my watch list; even though the thought of doing snuff again makes my gag reflex start reminding me that it's there. View attachment 197188

Its funny I tried some free snus from a american company (very well known) and I was very ill and gagging after 4 minutes of using it.

I don't think I will ever use snus again. However Snuff is nice to have. I have a ok assortment.

Hell N Handbasket hooked me up with some great stuff and taught me proper usage

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
When I think of Snuff, this is what pops into my head.
170px-Schnupfer_corrected.jpg

I used nasal snuff for a couple of weeks, and abandoned it as a wretched, vile experiment.

It's important to have the pinky pointed upwards. Without that you are not really a snuffer, or at least a proper english snuffer.

Hmm I used to love ....... so maybe snuff is more my style vs snus. But I just got done researching snus and finding local General. Is nasal snuff available in the usa?

Snus and snuff are not mutually exclusive. A good many snus users also use snuff. The two seem to go together very well. Snuff is a nice compliment to snus.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Snuff has the same nicotine peaks as a hit of of smoking tobacco. Quick to high and quick to go. Same. Snus is slow like vape and slow to go. Snuff is messy....but it's my favorite. Because snus is convenient I do it as well. Now I'm actually preferring Makla and Chema. I don't know enough about them except they aren't salty lie snus nor are they flavorful. They are supposed to be for chew but I put it in a tea bag and use it lie snus. They are basically the same thing. They do not make salivate. Nt real pretty but works well and not very noticeable while in the mouth....just a little bitter. I use loose and pouch it myself anyway in tea bag material so it's pretty much the same deal. Whatever agent that is used to make the mouth a good PH for absorbing the goods might be questionable. It's not salt. I only use lightly so I'm not too worried about it plus I have almost a years worth of snus in freezer. Maybe by then I'll be used to the salt.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've ordered snuff from snuffstore uk a few times. It usually takes around six days to get it. I've also ordered from toque, mr snuff, and I think one or two others. Some local stores might carry some of the american scotch snuffs or even some Ozona brand snuffs. I also ordered once directly from Wilson of Sharrow. They make some of my favorite snuffs.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Snuff has the same nicotine peaks as a hit of of smoking tobacco. Quick to high and quick to go. Same. Snus is slow like vape and slow to go. Snuff is messy....but it's my favorite. Because snus is convenient I do it as well. Now I'm actually preferring Makla and Chema. I don't know enough about them except they aren't salty lie snus nor are they flavorful. They are supposed to be for chew but I put it in a tea bag and use it lie snus. They are basically the same thing. They do not make salivate. Nt real pretty but works well and not very noticeable while in the mouth....just a little bitter. I use loose and pouch it myself anyway in tea bag material so it's pretty much the same deal. Whatever agent that is used to make the mouth a good PH for absorbing the goods might be questionable. It's not salt. I only use lightly so I'm not too worried about it plus I have almost a years worth of snus in freezer. Maybe by then I'll be used to the salt.

Here's some interesting info I found on Makla.

If you are living in the EU more likely you did try at least once the famous "Makla" made in Belgium.
    The taste is absolutely awful unless you try the Makla El Kantara variety (menthol taste) but the nicotine kick is fantastic. At the beginning it's pretty harsh on gums but once you get used you do start to love it.
    Unfortunately there is a total lack of information about this product, very popular in northern Africa.
    What I know is that the tobacco used to produce it is "nicotiana rustica", a tobacco crop with very high nicotine content that can be found even in the russian papirosy, a kind of cheap cigarette with a long cardboard mouthpiece.
    After some researches, I did find this page
    http://www.bat-science.com/groupms/sites/bat_7awfh3.nsf/vwPagesWebLive/DO7AXL9M/$FILE/medMD7DTDGU.pdf
    As you can see, the TSNA level in Makla tobacco is even lower than the swedish snus one, but makla has a sensibly higher content in nitrite, chromium, etc.
    PH level is 10.5-10.9! Anything above 8-8.5 is pretty hard on your gums.

and here's what I found out about chema, unfortunately the pages that are linked are all in French:

Chema is actually real name for Algerian oral tobacco, makla was originally just brand name for Bentchicou family products during colonial times and they came so popular that 'makla' is synonyme for chema. Owner of Sifaco in Belgium, Mr. Bentchicou was manager of Algerian tobacco monopoly after nationalization until 1980, when things went sour and he emigrated. France was obvious choice but also having tobacco monopoly at the time, he settled in Belgium. algerazur.canalblog.com/archives/2010/02/15/16876873.html and here latribune-online.com/suplements/soci_t_p/11867.html - See more at: Chema - Snuffhouse

Interesting stuff. I'll pass on Chema and Makla in the immediate future. It sounds a bit too hardcore for me. :D

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Thanks for sharing that info. I meant to mention also that as far as snuff boxes go, the antique ones are great for show but may not seal well. I have a Patrick Collins snuff box that I got a few years ago and it still seals like new. I think they call it a triple tech. You can pinch, pour, or use the little spoon that came with it.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Thanks for sharing that info. I meant to mention also that as far as snuff boxes go, the antique ones are great for show but may not seal well. I have a Patrick Collins snuff box that I got a few years ago and it still seals like new. I think they call it a triple tech. You can pinch, pour, or use the little spoon that came with it.

I like the plastic snuff boxes from Mr. Snuff for everyday use. They are relatively inexpensive and they work very well. You can do a pinch, pour, or spoon it, though it doesn't come with a spoon. I use the smaller Snuffhouse snuff box rather they the slightly larger Mr. snuff boxes. I haven't tried the Patrick Collins box but they do look nice. The tribletech is a bit expensive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread