What is swedish snus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrotcake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
USA
Regular ejuice did not work for me and gave me bad withdrawal. During searching I came across WTA which I have coming and hope works. But I also came across swedish snus.

What is it? Is it just regular snus? Why the swedish variety? And is it simply used in ejuice and left to steep? And can you buy swedish snus ejuice premade? Why is swedish snus safer than per se camel snus? I don't understand the swedish part. Let alone are people making it at home or premade? Or are people simply using it in their mouth like dip while vaping?

Sorry I couldn't find anything while searching swedish snus. Must be hidden in those giant veteran threads.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Thanks I learned all about snus and where to get it. Now I need to know how it relates to vaping.

It relates to vaping because it is oral tobacco, smokeless and generally considered "healthier" than smoking. It's still tobacco. It's still very bad for you. However, in Sweden the stuff is as popular as coffee in America and yet their oral cancer rates are still pretty low. One of my very dearest friends was born and raised and spent the first 25 years of his life in Sweden and he has talked to me about just how popular snus is there.

I don't encourage it's use, but anything that gets you to quit smoking is good.

I would, however, rather point you in the direction of a more powerful mod and stronger juice. Have you tried that before you have the need to reach out to tobacco alternatives?

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
@dietsalem - Before anyone goes off on a "snus is bad" tangent, they might want to check out the medical research. CASAA has a decent bit of it here...Smoke-free Tobacco

There is no evidence that snus is hazardous. Only a very slight increase in pancreatic cancer is possibly attributed to the use of snus. Smokers have a might greater risk for it. Plenty of research and many, many decades of snus use give it far more credibility in the arena of safety data than ecigs currently have. Even oral cancer cannot be linked to snus only tobacco users. The health risks of american oral tobacco is heavily over emphasized. Swedish snus is prepared differently, and is even safer. Read the studies and reports of how many cancers or deaths have been directly linked to snus over the last couple hundred years, and then decide if discouraging it's use is really the right way to go.

carrotcake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
USA
What's a mod? Stronger juice isn't going to cut it. There's something missing and I think it's WTA.

I never thought that snus may be safer than smoking. That might be my last resort if I can't switch from analogs to wta.

I swear that people are making juice out of snus or something like that. Are you sure they are just using snus regularly? I've read they add it to juice aka home made wta juice.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
I quit smoking a few years ago with Swedish snus, and really like it. Even though I now vape, too, I continue to use snus sometimes for three reasons:

1) It's real, whole tobacco (the whole WTA thing)... Plants are complicated, living organisms, and the current scientific mania for "isolating" the active ingredient and synthesizing it as though it were the same as the whole is insane, whether one is talking about broccoli or tobacco.

2) It's really, really simple. You don't need batteries, mods, chargers, drip tips or USB pass-through adapters...

3) It's entirely discreet. When in public, there is no explaining to do.

The reason Swedish snus is different than the fake American stuff is that Swedish snus has a tradition, and there are laws regulating the purity and integrity of the product (something like the Germans and their beer). So they don't put tons of additives, preservatives, processed sugars et al in it.

There is lots of information online, including the snuson forums if you want to learn more about it.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
carrotcake, almost everyone in this sub-forum and the vast majority of folks using snus in any way, are using it the way it was intended to be used. Some folks have tried making eliquid out of it, but with the fine grind of the tobacco and the flavorings it is a PITA to strain enough to get clean liquid that won't gunk up an atomizer. Many of us vape but also use snus to get the WTA's.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
It relates to vaping because it is oral tobacco, smokeless and generally considered "healthier" than smoking. It's still tobacco. It's still very bad for you. However, in Sweden the stuff is as popular as coffee in America and yet their oral cancer rates are still pretty low. One of my very dearest friends was born and raised and spent the first 25 years of his life in Sweden and he has talked to me about just how popular snus is there.

I don't encourage it's use, but anything that gets you to quit smoking is good.

I would, however, rather point you in the direction of a more powerful mod and stronger juice. Have you tried that before you have the need to reach out to tobacco alternatives?

Well, that has to be one of the more ignorant misinformed post in the smokeless section for some time. But then after decades of brainwashing about the dangers of ST it has to be expected.

Snus has at least the same low risk factor as vaping. In the long run it could very well be shown to have a lower overall risk. If there is any difference either way it would be so small as to not likely show up in population studies. That is of course if nothing bad shows up with long term vaping. That's the science talking which comes from decades of studies on Swedish snus. No oral cancer, and the few studies (I think only one) that had shown a small increase in pancreatic cancer have be soundly debunked.

Snus, american or Swedish, has nothing to do with vaping. I really don't recommend steeping snus and vaping it. It has been tried in the past but it's a foolish way to use it and the effectiveness would be very low. Certainly much lower then when used as intended. Snus is an oral smokeless type tobacco that is placed under the upper lip where the nicotine, and the other goodies absent in e-liquid are absorbed through the mucus membrane.

If the OP can get through any prejudices he (she) may very well find what those of us who hang out in the smokeless section have found, that snus is a very satisfying way of using tobacco and getting the goods missing from vaping standard e-liquid.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Well, that has to be one of the more ignorant misinformed post in the smokeless section for some time. But then after decades of brainwashing about the dangers of ST it has to be expected.

Snus has at least the same low risk factor as vaping. In the long run it could very well be shown to have a lower overall risk. If there is any difference either way it would be so small as to not likely show up in population studies. That is of course if nothing bad shows up with long term vaping. That's the science talking which comes from decades of studies on Swedish snus. No oral cancer, and the few studies (I think only one) that had shown a small increase in pancreatic cancer have be soundly debunked.

Snus, american or Swedish, has nothing to do with vaping. I really don't recommend steeping snus and vaping it. It has been tried in the past but it's a foolish way to use it and the effectiveness would be very low. Certainly much lower then when used as intended. Snus is an oral smokeless type tobacco that is placed under the upper lip where the nicotine, and the other goodies absent in e-liquid are absorbed through the mucus membrane.

If the OP can get through any prejudices he (she) may very well find what those of us who hang out in the smokeless section have found, that snus is a very satisfying way of using tobacco and getting the goods missing from vaping standard e-liquid.

That's funny, when I saw that post, I thought it looked like a wabbit! LOL

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Ansah, a knowledgeable lurker, welcome! :toast: I agree with your take on Swed snus and American SNUS however Camel apparently is pasteurized and is tolerable in a pinch. I was a bit skeptical about the sweetness so I only use it when I forget my pocket can. You should stop in on occasion to the "What's under" thread. We always like getting more snus friends to come around.

Diet, as pointed out, you're being victimized by the propaganda machine from the "quit or die" crowd. If you're going to go on the basis of known, scientific proof, snus is by far the safest of all tobacco products at around 98-99% safer than smoking. E cigs may be as safe or safer, but understanding the safety scientifically is a long way off. Most tobacco use where you eliminate smoke is in that 95%+ safer category.

As for vaping snus, I have attempted to use a vaporizer (the type normally used for the other stuff) and snus with little to no success. The best way to use it is how it's been used for hundreds of years. Plus, it's the only way if you learn to enjoy it in its natural setting, under your upper lip.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've gotta stop just going to my favorite threads and start looking at the entire section. I'm sorry to have arrived so late to this thread but luckily the other regulars here have already given some good information. I consider stubby as our resident guru. I get sick of people saying " get a bigger mod and higher strength liquid". That doesn't work for everyone. I was using a mod with stacked batteries running 6 and 7.4v with 32mg liquid and was still struggling. One of the people that used to be on the smokeless forum went as far as using 75mg unflavored if I remember correctly. If it's the other alkaloids that you're missing then no amount of plain nic will do the job. The WTA liquid very well may do the job for you. Snus will definitely give you the whole spectrum of alkaloids since it's real tobacco. Unfortunately there has been a lot of brainwashing thru the years when it comes to the safety level of smokeless tobacco. It's kind of the same way as they teach the kids in school that nicotine is the thing in cigarettes that is addictive and harmful when in fact it's the combustion and additives that are in fact the harmful items.

kristin

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    casaa.org
    If you think about it, snus (and a lot of other smoke-free tobacco) doesn't have any greater health risks than regular Coca Cola. Both contain a stimulant that may cause dependency and temporary increased heart rate and blood pressure; and both aren't great for your teeth and gums if you don't practice good oral hygiene. Other than that...pfft. (The increased risk of pancreatic cancer has pretty much been debunked as a real health risk, IMO.)

It makes me crazy that people are so biased against low risk tobacco and nicotine use. We don't tell people, "Don't start drinking coffee if you aren't already dependent upon caffeine" or "Don't start eating ice cream if you're not already fat" or "Don't drink alcohol if you're not already an alcoholic." It's ridiculous on so many levels. The health risks are so low that they are comparable to a lot of other things we consume and do and if it wasn't for the high health risks of smoking (that smoke-free and nicotine gets unfairly lumped in with) no one would be saying "don't do it" - anymore than they do with coffee or sugar or all sorts of things they tell us we don't have to avoid 100%. If cigarettes had never been invented, no one would really have a problem with smoke-free tobacco today.

Sorry. Read too many ANTZ lies already this morning and it made me crabby. lol

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    www.aromaejuice.com
    If you think about it, snus (and a lot of other smoke-free tobacco) doesn't have any greater health risks than regular Coca Cola. Both contain a stimulant that may cause dependency and temporary increased heart rate and blood pressure; and both aren't great for your teeth and gums if you don't practice good oral hygiene. Other than that...pfft. (The increased risk of pancreatic cancer has pretty much been debunked as a real health risk, IMO.)

It makes me crazy that people are so biased against low risk tobacco and nicotine use. We don't tell people, "Don't start drinking coffee if you aren't already dependent upon caffeine" or "Don't start eating ice cream if you're not already fat" or "Don't drink alcohol if you're not already an alcoholic." It's ridiculous on so many levels. The health risks are so low that they are comparable to a lot of other things we consume and do and if it wasn't for the high health risks of smoking (that smoke-free and nicotine gets unfairly lumped in with) no one would be saying "don't do it" - anymore than they do with coffee or sugar or all sorts of things they tell us we don't have to avoid 100%. If cigarettes had never been invented, no one would really have a problem with smoke-free tobacco today.

Sorry. Read too many ANTZ lies already this morning and it made me crabby. lol

Great post....!!!

I'm curious to get your input on snuff?

Is snuff safer than snus?

I think snuff works pretty well once I learned how to ingest it properly.

Granted there is a stigma with snuff but it works well for me and I enjoy it on several occasions.

kristin

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    casaa.org
    I honestly think the differences of "safety" between smoke-free tobacco products is hardly enough to cause concern. It's like asking if it's safer to drive in rain vs. snow compared to driving completely inebriated.

I've read snuff can be hard on the sinuses, but other than that, I don't know particulars. Some studies show that dry powdered snuff has up to 60 times more TSNAs than moist snus, but TSNA levels in smokeless in relation to actual cancer risk is hotly debated. If you buy the theory that higher TSNAs translate to higher cancer risk, than you may want to avoid dry snuff too often.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread