What is that perfume taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
Your senses of smell and taste are very intertwined. And everyone has different taste buds. The perfume probably enhances the flavor for some people -- they smell it/they taste it. For me, I refer to those flavors as "skunk juice."

And, if you don't like them, stay away from Top Vapor's Fresh Pear (Mad vape sells it.) You might as well vape Chanel No. 5.

LOL!!! Skunk Juice! Now that's quite a visual!!!

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
There are lots of chemicals used in the perfume industry, and there are lots of different perfumes and colognes. One person's idea of a 'perfume' odor can be very different from another's. There is also a lot of overlap between the chemicals that flavor different foods.

As for my personal knowledge, I have used DK (never again) and I know what you are talking about although I wouldn't call it perfume-like. I have used some LorAnn's flavors and many Perfumer's Apprentice flavors and have not had any perfume taste. I have a feeling it is just a couple of cheap chemicals that DK and other companies use in their 'bases' for some of their flavorings.

I can also tell you TV uses LorAnn's a lot, while Ms. T uses LorAnn, Bickford, Faerie's Finest, and Capella's. I have not heard of the perfume problem from people who mix their own liquid.

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
Thanks PureVapor!

Do you know which flavoring DIYFlavorShack uses? Yes, there are a lot of great reviews of TV and I was looking thru their website, but I'm looking for more of a tobacco flavor rather than a beverage/candy/coffee flavor.

And it seems that only the tobacco flavors might have this issue.

I do have a couple of tobacco flavors on order from DIY (Dawn). I did email her and she said she doesn't use Dekang but her tobacco flavor juice is china made. She said that with her other flavorings she does use her US based juice.

me who

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
East Coast, Maryland
All of the juice I bought from NuVape had this problem, and I threw it all away.

Same experience, OMG that stuff was nasty, I couldn't even give it away, had to dump it.

NONE of the juice I've gotten from MyFreedomSmokes has this taste.

Again same here, and so I've stayed with MFS.

I think that florally, perfumish taste is most closely represented in the bottles of DK coffee i have.

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
You know it might be kind of a hassle but maybe there should be a social club or juice exchange JUST for people who are experiencing this. That way we could trade "nasties" and see if we really are all tasting the same thing ?

Like PureVapor says...there is just such and overlap. But then you have people like me who LIKE flower flavors and even I know what your talking about. I got some eggnog cartos from V4L last year and I swear you could smell them through the mailing envelope....NASTY! V4L claimed it was some issue at the Chinese factory with the soap they were washing the mixing utensils with and not rinsing properly. But it kept happening....their flavors are notorious for this. I have quit since dealing with them at all so I don't know what the status is of the problem from their viewpoint. But there are other companies that have exclusive flavors made in Chine. Like Nhaler....anybody ever have any problems with Drew's stuff? I've had a couple Greencig flavors and have not detected any hint of perfume. But then there is alotof complaining on Greencig carts nt having enough flavor....so what to do?????

me who

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
East Coast, Maryland
we could trade "nasties" and see if we really are all tasting the same thing ?

That's what I did with mine, I tried to trick my GF and said hey I just got these in, try em out and tell me what you think.

Outcome:
Nastiness confirmed by angry GF.
I had to give up a new atty because I couldn't get the nastiness out of her rig.

Yep, it was that bad.

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Y'know, I've noticed that the device I use does make a difference in the tastes of all my juices, particularly the menthols. I barely taste any menthol on my 401, I get a strong taste initially on my Kr808 then it wanes to the undertaste (don't know the right word, but the menthols I like so far seem to have a sweet vanilla-like aftertaste). If I use the PT, POW!! Menthol all the way. Just another observation... haven't really tested out the "perfumy" ones on all devices -- usually after that taste hits me, I'm just done! :)

For the record, I have tried one Vermont Vapor (no PG) liquid (Vanilla, 0mg). No perfume taste, just a "sour-ish" aftertaste after vaping it awhile -- like all day. Even if I've used it as a mix in some DIY, I can taste it. Some days I don't notice it at all... it's probably me!

I keep coming back to this thread -- it may seem pointless to some, but I am glad it's here. i don't feel so alone...

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
rdk1216, I also had the same results from NHaler. I had ordered the HV 555 and Kent. Both had that perfumey taste.

Pokeygizmo, I'm hoping if we all share results, we'll end up with a list of vendors that will be the "preferred" ones to order from.

lorikay13, I think the best thing to do might to split up the vendors amongst us and then we each order a flavor or two from a vendor and then post back our findings.

I do have an order of 555, Dhill and Flue cured from DIYFlavorshack on the way. I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow.

We know that a lot of us have already commented on TV's juices and no one seems to have the perfumey taste from there, so TV is already on the list.

The ones left are Mrs Ts, and tobacco flavors from MFS. So, far all the comments form MFS are for "non tobacco" flavors, so I'd love to learn if there is perfumey taste in the tobacco flavors from them.

Mrs. Ts I doesn't even have tobacco flavors - and same goes for TV.

So our choices are pretty limited. :(

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Hi everyone!

A lot of good points here. First I want to clarify that when I used the term "pointless" I was refering to our inability to make a scientific analysis regarding chemicals. Certainly there is a point if we help each other find the juices we like. This is a good start!

Regarding vendors.....we need to be careful with this topic. Many of you have mentioned Nhaler. Drew...who owns Nhaler....puts an extreme amount of effort into his custom blended and flavored juices. All the juices you have mentioned have been imported and are NOT the flavors that Drew makes himself. Nhaler carries a complete line of tobacco and menthol flavored juices made by Drew using all pharmicuetical grade ingredients. I encourage you to try THOSE before making a decision about his store. He also carries an excellent line called Lung Juice which he also makes. It contains over a dozen different herbs along with nicotine and flavorings. I have personally tried them all and love them! And I don't usually use fruit flavors.

Drew is just one of many fine suppliers you can find here that carry BOTH imported and domestically or custom made juices. Read carefully and if you have questions ask before you buy. If you think a specific chemical or ingredient is responsible for an unpleasant flavor...ask! And educate yourself about what flavorings (ie:the actual chemicals used to make flavors) are really made out of.

Tasty Vapor DOES carry tobacco flavor and in fact Geoff makes it himself. I have never tried it but have heard good things about it. I believe he starts with fresh tobacco leaves. btw...Tasty Vapor sells WAY more than just the custom flavors you see pictures of. Look at the drop down menu for a list of flavorings and Geoff will custom mix anything you want, up to three different flavors in one juice! But no samples so pick wisely ;)
There are several reviews about this flavor on utube.

Again..educate yourself so you know what your getting and rather it's what you want.

Buy samples! If a vendor doesn't sell samples then send them a polite note letting them know that you would like to try their product and to please email you if they decide to offer samples in the future. Vermont Vapor is one vendor who offers samples of all their flavors, a 100% VG juice and the juice is made here by them. They also sell yummy Maple candy. :)

Drew at Nhaler sells samples. MFS (Myfreedomsmokes) sells samples, and many others. Viking Vapor,Vapor Station,(Eric at VS will usually throw in a small sample for you if you ask and he has it. It may not be the nic content you want but the flavor will be the same. His juice is imported but it is from a plant in India that makes food flavorings...I personally LOVE his stuff...try the Rosewater...really!). Johnson Creek sells sampler packs and many fine accesorries you can't get anywhere else.
Here is a nice thread about samples and DIY

SO.....in my opinion we need to concentrate on the individual flavor itself and rather it is foriegn or domestic. Not so much the supplier it came from. Hope this gives you some help. And the point about devices...excellent! Something to consider when trading juices....if you can find someone who uses the same ecig then you could just trade cartidges instead of dealing with mailing bottles.

rdk1216

Mar 27, 2010
Sorry if I offended. I didn't mean to single out NHaler as a vendor... I should clarify myself: I've only been at this for 4 weeks after 20+ years of smoking analogs. I know my taste buds are kinda messed up still. I haven't tried many different juices, yet. I'm just trying one vendor at a time, as I can't afford to spend $$$ on a bunch of flavors at once. That what I meant by "maybe it's just me..."

Hope you can overlook me - I'm a newbie still trying to get my 15 posts so I can have a banner. lol!

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
oh hey...no offense at all! I could see that many of the posters here are new and that is why I made such a detailed reply. This is what it's all about...to help and educate each other so we can enjoy our new habit :)

We were all new once. And pretty much all of us learned what we know right here. As Drew at Nhaler likes to say...."I'm the nicest guy in the world!"....well he is a nice guy. And so is pretty much all the people who run the stores listed on this site. Don't ever be afraid to talk to them. If you have questions or concerns...ask them! If your not happy with the answer...well you still learned something!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!!!!! Welcome to e-cigs:D

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
lorikay13,

I saw your post two days and decided to abandon this thread. To come out of the left field about how 'we have to be careful with the vendors' was a little over the top for me. I didn't want to start a big argument and I still don't. But after two days of mulling over this, I feel I need to put forth some points:

1. This thread was never meant to bash vendors. No where on this thread was a vendor mentioned without a specific flavor that was received from him/her. It's always been a vendor/flavor combo.

2. The onus needs to be on the vendor to put forth the information as to where their juices originate from? It shouldn't be on us to have to email them to find out. It's their business, they need to do a better job of it.

3. Yes, a lot of 'em offer samples but they are not cheap. Expect to drop between $30 - $50. I don't have that kind of money when I can't pinpoint where a particular flavor is originating from.

4. You are right about TV having a tobacco juice and good job finding the only positive review for it. There is a thread here on ECF where everyone thinks it tastes like hay/barn/grass. He has great reviews for this flavored juices and I will try those in due time.

I don't mean to offend you or anyone else or the vendors. However, to come around and start offering advise on how WE need to educate ourselves was a little too much for me. Vendors need to be more forthcoming on where they are getting their stuff and/or possibly offer a return policy otherwise it's time to move on to another vendor.

Thanks for listening/reading. And now lets continue with this thread:

Got my juices from DIYFlavorShack. I had ordered 555, DHill and Flue Cured. NOT ONE HAD A PERFUME TASTE TO IT!! :thumb:

And I got 5 extra juices from her! Couldn't believe it! Now that's what I call customer service and customer retention. I didn't get the same service from any of the other vendors.

I personally didn't like the 555. It was a little dry for my tastes; it's like vaping on roasted peanuts without any kind of sweetness to it. Almost like vaping on dry peanut air, if that makes any sense. But I thought Dhill and Flue Cured was OK.

I love the caramel popcorn! :rolleyes: I do have Peach, Watermelon, Pineapple to try, but I'm not a fruity flavor type of person so those will wait.

Also, on the Smooth 8 from Halo. I left it alone for a couple of days and came back to it. I have been vaping it all day and am starting to like how it tastes! Still a little too much on the "peppery" side but nonetheless it's growing on me and I think I'll continue to vape it.

I do have an order coming from Mrs Ts. Keep you guys posted.

Thanks

Last edited:

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Just to chime in regarding vendors-

My intent wasn't to negatively review the vendors, in fact, ALL of them I have purchased from have surpassed ANY customer service from ANY other facet of my life that I have had the fortune/misfortune to deal with. They all have been absolutely amazing and the world should learn from them...

I have simply learned that one cannot comment regarding a flavor by name only as each vendors' recipes are different (even though they may be named the same). It was merely a way to definitively pinpoint the flavor juice that was "off" for me. And I fully acknowledge that after 20+ years of smoking that MY tastebuds are certifiably OFF and UNRELIABLE :)!

No "bashing" intended and certainly none taken from any other posts. My sincerest apologies if anyone took my post otherwise.

I truly "love" all the vendors I have dealt with -- if you should happen to read this, just wanted all you guys and gals to know it's not you, it's ME and my 'buds (and maybe a stray funky flavoring here and there ;0!)

lulubell360

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Gulf Shores, AL
I am tempted to buy some analogs till my juice comes in the mail from ecsi (aka Jane's Kick) because this other c..p I have is not giving me a hit what so ever. I am a single parent w/2 kids & cant afford to run around trying this & that. I also found out my mvp is actually a 901. Anyway I think I am barely getting nicotine right now so I am extremely aggrivated!

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
Hey Dk2, I'm not sure. It maybe some ingredient in the base itself to which they add the flavoring. I have only experienced the tobacco flavors and they all have 'em, as you kinow :) But it's strange that it's also in their caramel flavored one.

I'd just as well stay from Dekang and not throw any more money down the drain.

lulubell360, I know exactly how you feel. I actually did that last weekend - went out and got me a box of Mboro lights - that's what I normally smoke. And believe me, it tasted like S**T! I took maybe 3 or 4 drags from it and pitched it.

It's like we are stuck in the middle. We can't go back to analogs and don't get the fullfilment from e-cigs. Drove me insane till I finally started to vape more on the smooth 8 from Halo and the DIY juices.

Since everyone's taste is different, it's really difficult to recommend flavors. I have never tried Jane's Kick but have seen good reviews of it. Hopefully it will satisfy you. Please do let us know what you think of it when you get it.

I'm waitnig on my Ms Ts order - can't wait!! :p

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
Oh I know the kick juice is good it's the best I've had so far I'm just waiting on the mail. Now granted I've only tried 3 places so far. Ms T's is one I'm going to try in the near future myself

oh that's good; I'll have to give that a try some time. Also Vapor Station is another good one I heard of; I was PM'ing back and forth with another member and she was raving a lot about this juice. It's India based (the flavoring) and then it gets mixed here. So, I'll have to try it some time as well.

I do have Ms T's en route; hope to have it by the weekend and will post a review of it. I have the Kahlua and Cream, Espresso and Bannana Fosters coming in :p Can't wait!!!

What flavor of Jane's are you getting? Do post what you thought of it flavor wise.

I have been vaping the smooth 8 the last two day and it's started to grow on me. I went back to the 555 from DIYFlavorShack this evening and liked it better than before! Go figure :confused:

Seems any juice we get, the taste changes in a day or so; or maybe it's just my taste buds! :shock: = LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread