What makes a post Sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Aside from obvious or nonsensical things like wet paint, bubble gum, and glue, I'd like to get some ideas from our readers on what they think constitutes a Sticky Thread? Are there any criteria or prerequisites that should be followed/acquired before a normal thread can be considered a Sticky?

First off, what is the difference between a "Normal" thread and a "Sticky" thread?

In a normal thread (post), a question is asked, or a topic is brought up that someone needs a response to, or believes is interesting or important enough for public discussion. When an answer is found, or the subject discussed fully, the thread becomes inactive (or dies) and moves down the list being replaced by new questions and topics of discussion, unless of course, someone makes a new comment on it and "bumps" the thread back up to the top of the forum list again.

Stickies, on the other hand, remain at the beginning of a forum. They are locked or "Stuck" permanently at the top of the list.

The question I put to the HHV Army is: What makes them so important to be stuck up at the top of the forum?

Your thoughts, please.

Responses will be helpful in creating new Stickies in the future.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Stickies are generally information that needs to stay "current". Things that need to stay on the front page and not be in danger of becoming pushed to the second page of the forum.

It was debated that the Order Number thread be a non stickie or a stickie. It was felt that the thread would remain active enough that it would always be near the top of the normal thread section. But since it was started basically as a stickie, it has remained there.

The goal is to not have too many stickies. It would get confusing as to what is important Since the HHV forum is so new, we all are still feeling our way in this new endeavor. Everyone is included in the process as everything will get debated and discussed in the thread. There is nothing happening in PM's or behind the scenes. :)

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Stickies are generally information that needs to stay "current". Things that need to stay on the front page and not be in danger of becoming pushed to the second page of the forum.

It was debated that the Order Number thread be a non stickie or a stickie. It was felt that the thread would remain active enough that it would always be near the top of the normal thread section. But since it was started basically as a stickie, it has remained there.

The goal is to not have too many stickies. It would get confusing as to what is important Since the HHV forum is so new, we all are still feeling our way in this new endeavor. Everyone is included in the process as everything will get debated and discussed in the thread. There is nothing happening in PM's or behind the scenes. :)

Thanks for your input, Robin. Yes, I'm aware of the debate over what should, or should not be a sticky. I'll be bringing up some comments that were mentioned in that debate so that those people do not have to repeat what they wrote earlier on THE BIG THREAD. I'll try to consolidate everyones thoughts here in this thread.

Another Thread Announcement

Now that Xfoo has the juice review threads set up it's time to move to the next order of business. One of the things that was brought up during our discussion of the review threads was the management of Stickies. I think the best way to approach this is to start a debate on what deserves to be a sticky and what does not. Again, we will never achieve consensus so be prepared to be on the wrong side of the argument if it ends up that way. Don't get your feelings hurt. But everyone's two cents is welcomed. Before we get deep into this debate, I am asking if there is a volunteer to collect the comments and formulate our final criteria. It aint gonna be me. And we're in no hurry. Any volunteers?

Guess, I'm the one. I have some down time coming up at the end of the month, so I should have plenty of time to work on this.

Edit: Notice I have my suit on, so I mean business!!! ;)
Actually, that's what I look like in my Second Life

Last edited:

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Here's what XfooYen had to say about it...

Here's my take. The Order# and Shipping Times doesn't need to be a sticky. It's OK as a regular thread. Not the most critical information really and I doubt it would get lost in the threads.

The Welcome sticky should be renamed to "Welcome! Introduce Yourself", otherwise it should be locked. I think a sticky allowing new lurkers a common place to say hi is a good thing.

The Sticky gt started about the name changes I would change the title to "Where is Gandalf?" since that's the question most people ask.

I'm not sure if the Steeping sticky needs to be there since there is a regular thread about steeping. Steeping is good advice but I don't feel it is of "sticky" importance. Right now it seems like we have two resources for steeping. A little confusing.

So to sum it up: Rename the Welcome sticky, rename the juice renaming sticky, move the orders and shipping to the regular threads, move the steeping to the regular threads (and combine the two steeping threads), lock all stickies except for the Welcome/Intro one.

Just my take.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
And this was GT's reply to XfooYen:

Agree with this point

I like this idea. I'd leave it sticky for now, and if it never gets used, I'd unsticky it and let it die.

I also like this. I'd call it "Where is Gandalf, et al" because people do ask about other juice names. I also think eventually (a month or two) this could be unstickied. New people won't know anything but the new names at that point. I would disagree that I started this thread, cause I didn't. :)

This is the only one I'd argue about keeping as a sticky. I think it needs to stay.

I'm undecided if the "juice of the year" post should stay stickied. And what about the review threads? Seems they might should be.

All this said, until we get past the first page of threads, what's sticky and what isn't is moot.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Finally, I believe this sums up the debate on THE BIG THREAD. If there was more, let me know and I'll bring it forward to this thread. I'll go through this and try to pick out items that could be used as criteria for future stickies. :)

More ideas are always welcome. :D

Am I correct in thinking that the point of a sticky is to prevent stuff from getting lost in the pages of a forum? If so, the order numbers thread doesn't need it since people will be updating it every day.

I agree, where in the world is Gandalf, oh I mean "Where is Gandalf, and other name changes" or something to that effect sounds great. And no I guess GT didn't start that thread, apparently he started the "Everyone must own a Provari" mystery thread, according to someone. ;)

Question, if and when Heather and Adam win the vendor award for this year :)D) do we unsticky the old one or let them accumulate to show off all of the championship trophies?

I like the idea of accumulating them. :D. You know restaurants keep all the years on their walls. At least we don't have to dust them. ;)

Dang that Xfoo has a razor sharp wit. :D

Chak...you there? I want to sign you up for a job. Talk to me. :)

Off to bed... :closedeyes:zzzZZZZZ

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
hmmmm ..... when we get tired of answering a question maybe its time to wonder if it should be stickied

first question in decision is it important to the army and vaping in general

second question in decision is this must know info for a vaper that is not stickied in the main threads

just my :2c:

Thanks TGCR, good points.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I don't know of anything else we currently need as a sticky. I will say, it is annoying when there are too many stickies - see the DIY forum for an example of too many stickies. LOL!

Agree BVuggs. Which is why Chak is doing this thread. We really want to minimize the stickies we have. So easy to get carried away with them.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I don't know of anything else we currently need as a sticky. I will say, it is annoying when there are too many stickies - see the DIY forum for an example of too many stickies. LOL!

I agree too. A new person coming to the forum should not have to scroll down too far, if at all, to get into the regular threads.
Yes, Bronze, that's why we're doing this. What about a FAQ sticky? Personally, I don't mind answering questions newcomers ask, it's actually kinda fun, and I know from personal experience I'll avoid FAQ's unless as a last resort. I think it gives a forum a more personalised touch if someone is answering your question one by one. I so hate those answering machines on the phone that say, "Press 1 for ..., For ... press 2, press 3 for ..." drives me up a wall. Even worse in Thai. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I agree too. A new person coming to the forum should not have to scroll down too far, if at all, to get into the regular threads.
Yes, Bronze, that's why we're doing this. What about a FAQ sticky? Personally, I don't mind answering questions newcomers ask, it's actually kinda fun, and I know from personal experience I'll avoid FAQ's unless as a last resort. I think it gives a forum a more personalised touch if someone is answering your question one by one. I so hate those answering machines on the phone that say, "Press 1 for ..., For ... press 2, press 3 for ..." drives me up a wall. Even worse in Thai. :facepalm:

Chak...I personally don't care what we make stickies. I like minimizing them though. And who makes a thread sticky or not? I'm guessing one of us mods.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Chak...I personally don't care what we make stickies. I like minimizing them though. And who makes a thread sticky or not? I'm guessing one of us mods.

Mods are the only ones that can make a thread a sticky. They can change titles on any thread or sticky and they can Un-Sticky a sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread