What makes the "throat hit" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Since e-liquid is primarily PG, flavoring and nicotine, there is not a whole lot of other things/chemicals that can affect throat hit other than nicotine and warmth of vaper. This is an often debated subject. You can probably do a search and find some past threads about it.

Nicotine is definitely number one on the list of things that provide throat hit. If you take a draw off a device with 36mg/ml juice and one with 11mg/ml in concentration, I guarantee the 36 will have the stronger throat hit. Another component of throat hit you will likely not experience on an average e-cig, is the heat of the vapor. Manual devices and high-voltage devices can heat the vapor more than automatic devices providing more feel in the back of the throat and into the lungs.

If you mix your own liquids, adding some acidic components like lemon juice, vinegar or high proof alcohol has been reported to provide decent throat hit, particularly for those who vape low to no nicotine fluids.

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
I don't think nicotine is a big part of it. I have some JC 24mg that gives me no TH when I use my automatic batteries in my 801. Change to my (one) manual battery, however, and I get a strong TH. I also have some Turkish-flavor 18mg that gives a great TH with both types of batteries. I also get more vapor from TW liquid, but not a greater TH. I think this is one of those "go figure" topics.

Zestok90

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Mentor, OH
Yup, There are indeed a lot of factors that play in.
I've just been spending a lot of my time researching and trying out new brands.
Right now I've been smoking e-smokeytreats 36mg Apple e-liquid.
Tons of vapor, and dang that sucker can pack a punch.
Also, directly dripping onto the atomizer seems to give a lot stronger throat hit as to just applying the juice to a cartridge, or buying pre-filled cartridges, of course this is just from my own personal experience.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Ther are many threads on this subject that actually tie into the Phillip Morris Marlboro law suits...It has to do PH content...The actual absorption of the nicotine content are closely linked to PH levels...One major supplier list Vinegar as aan ingredient which has a high acid content and would alter the PH...Nicotine is an alkaloid and can be altered dramatically with slight modification of its PH...there are some very long and detailed threads on this forum about this subject...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread