The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

what material do you like best?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by vjdossey, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vjdossey

vjdossey Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    i am trying to learn how to reuse the coils in my used coil heads and was wondering what is the best material to use? :confused:

2. E_DeCastro

E_DeCastro Moved On ECF Veteran

Nov 1, 2009
    SOCAL, USA
    kanthal (or nichrome) and cotton

3. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    Isnt the kanthal used to make the coil? Im using old coils already in coil heads and removing original wicks.

4. E_DeCastro

Nov 1, 2009
    SOCAL, USA
    yes sorry, this was the rebuildables thread i just assumed you are rebuilding. if you are using your factory coils, I say cotton.

5. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    No worries and thank you. I hope to be making my own coils very soon. Figured id learn to thread on my old coils first. Baby steps :) so much to learn. Where do you get kanthal? Is it normally available in stores or only online? And is there specific guages?

6. E_DeCastro

Nov 1, 2009
    SOCAL, USA
  7. xamxela

xamxela Full Member Verified Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Valparaiso
    Depending on what resistance you're looking for you'll need different wire size. if you're going to be building a coil and plan on using it on a regulated device like an ego or vamo, you'll need higher resistance. Generally they won't fire anything below 1.2 ohms, but work best with 1.5~2 ohm range. You'll want 32 gauge.

As far as wicking goes, I've only tried silica, stainless steel mesh and cotton balls. cotton is the definite winner because of ease of use and great flavor.

8. BobC

BobC Reformed Squonker Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    WARNING WARNING!
    Once you open your wallet for vaping accessories, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CLOSE IT AGAIN
    ;)

9. speshiok46

speshiok46 Senior Member

Jul 11, 2013
    NJ, USA
    Kanthal A1 & Cotton! I prefer cotton yarn over cotton balls. You can find medium width cotton yarn at Walmart, Michaels, or AC Moore. It's usually called Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream and should be under $2 for ~100 yards. Tastes better than silica, IMO, and about 30 times cheaper! Before you pull out the old wick, I'd recommend having the resistance wire ready in hand. The factory coils aren't that great and will probably get too warped by pulling out the wick, from my experience anyway. Cotton yarn should be your best bet for rebuilding heads, I'm assuming BCC's and/or Vivi Nova's. I'd say get three 100 foot spools of wire, 28, 30, and 32 gauge. It should cost you well under $20 and should last you for years.

10. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    OMG that is so darn true!!! and I have just begun the process of learning to rebuild! lol no one told me about all the e cig options and how it very possibly could become a hobby! lol... i used to bead my own jewelry and now- this! :) it sure is fun though and tomorrow I will have 6 weeks analog free!... :)

11. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    thank you so much for that info- i am saving this for sure! i appreciate your help!

12. Relaxed5311

Relaxed5311 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Des Moines, IA, USA
    And more mods, and more batteries, and more delivery devices.... and it keeps going and going lol

13. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    i love it-your counters say since you stopped smoking analogs you have spent more than what you spent as a smoker- exactly $520.68 more! lol BUT YOU ARE HEALTHIER! and Happier I am sure because now you do not smoke and have found a hobby that will totally and completely occupy any spare time you have. if you are like me it will also occupy time you don't have too! lol

14. Relaxed5311

Relaxed5311 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Des Moines, IA, USA
    Yeah my counter is off by about 7 or 8 hundred too lol.

sent using Tapatalk

15. vjdossey

Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    I finally got some of the yarn everyone talks about. Have re wicked a CE5 and a T3S and they both are working great :)

16. shroom

shroom Moved On

May 24, 2013
    Brooklyn
    I think I've got a couple of grand over. In five months of vaping I have two Squapes coming and that-> *******************************************

17. MorningStar1999

MorningStar1999 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Cotton has been my go to since I gave it a whirl. Ekowool just doesn't really compare sadly.

The cotton I picked up at Walgreen's, just a bag of the organic cotton balls.

My kanthal I buy from TEMCo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.