what material do you like best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
yes sorry, this was the rebuildables thread i just assumed you are rebuilding. if you are using your factory coils, I say cotton.
No worries and thank you. I hope to be making my own coils very soon. Figured id learn to thread on my old coils first. Baby steps :) so much to learn. Where do you get kanthal? Is it normally available in stores or only online? And is there specific guages?

xamxela

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Valparaiso
Depending on what resistance you're looking for you'll need different wire size. if you're going to be building a coil and plan on using it on a regulated device like an ego or vamo, you'll need higher resistance. Generally they won't fire anything below 1.2 ohms, but work best with 1.5~2 ohm range. You'll want 32 gauge.

As far as wicking goes, I've only tried silica, stainless steel mesh and cotton balls. cotton is the definite winner because of ease of use and great flavor.

speshiok46

Jul 11, 2013
NJ, USA
Kanthal A1 & Cotton! I prefer cotton yarn over cotton balls. You can find medium width cotton yarn at Walmart, Michaels, or AC Moore. It's usually called Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream and should be under $2 for ~100 yards. Tastes better than silica, IMO, and about 30 times cheaper! Before you pull out the old wick, I'd recommend having the resistance wire ready in hand. The factory coils aren't that great and will probably get too warped by pulling out the wick, from my experience anyway. Cotton yarn should be your best bet for rebuilding heads, I'm assuming BCC's and/or Vivi Nova's. I'd say get three 100 foot spools of wire, 28, 30, and 32 gauge. It should cost you well under $20 and should last you for years.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
WARNING WARNING!
Once you open your wallet for vaping accessories, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CLOSE IT AGAIN
;)

OMG that is so darn true!!! and I have just begun the process of learning to rebuild! lol no one told me about all the e cig options and how it very possibly could become a hobby! lol... i used to bead my own jewelry and now- this! :) it sure is fun though and tomorrow I will have 6 weeks analog free!... :)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Kanthal A1 & Cotton! I prefer cotton yarn over cotton balls. You can find medium width cotton yarn at Walmart, Michaels, or AC Moore. It's usually called Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream and should be under $2 for ~100 yards. Tastes better than silica, IMO, and about 30 times cheaper! Before you pull out the old wick, I'd recommend having the resistance wire ready in hand. The factory coils aren't that great and will probably get too warped by pulling out the wick, from my experience anyway. Cotton yarn should be your best bet for rebuilding heads, I'm assuming BCC's and/or Vivi Nova's. I'd say get three 100 foot spools of wire, 28, 30, and 32 gauge. It should cost you well under $20 and should last you for years.

thank you so much for that info- i am saving this for sure! i appreciate your help!

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
And more mods, and more batteries, and more delivery devices.... and it keeps going and going lol

i love it-your counters say since you stopped smoking analogs you have spent more than what you spent as a smoker- exactly $520.68 more! lol BUT YOU ARE HEALTHIER! and Happier I am sure because now you do not smoke and have found a hobby that will totally and completely occupy any spare time you have. if you are like me it will also occupy time you don't have too! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread