xc-116 ceramic wick question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfountain2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2012
United States

I just ordered some about an hour ago, along with the stainless steel rope and some ribbon wire..... My plan is to use the rope as the main wick and the silica sleeving at the top of the rope to prevent shorts, all wrapped in ribbon wire in my RSST and my AGI.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan

Well, I tried XS-116. 18 is too thick for my purposes. 116 makes about a 3mm outer diameter wick, if you leave the center hole open for better wicking. 116 also seems to keep up with a .8 ohm coil, chain vaping, so I didn't see the point of thicker one.

You may want to keep in mind, this is silica, not ceramic. Still works very well. Wicks better than usual silica, cleaner taste, and more flexible.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I'm going to try it with just the string in an AGA-T
I just ordered some about an hour ago, along with the stainless steel rope and some ribbon wire..... My plan is to use the rope as the main wick and the silica sleeving at the top of the rope to prevent shorts, all wrapped in ribbon wire in my RSST and my AGI.

ktazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
brooklyn ny
See, now, when dealing with tube mods, I would ask you a series of questions, like; "what are you looking for? portability? vape quality? ease of build? trouble free vaping? flexibility of use?" and then, based on your answers, I'd recommend something.

Over in the REOS MODS sub-forum, I wouldn't have to ask you to prioritize which good qualities to skip and which bad ones to accept. I would just say .. .

Get a REO and an RM2 atomizer, and you'll be set up with the best tasting, most trouble free, most portable/pocket friendly vape there is.

. . . . . . .Sooooooooooo, what are you looking for in a vape device/ atomizer?

portability, VV/VW and trouble free...is the REO VV/VW? wouldnt mind getting one to use just not used to the box shape coming from a 808d threadings lol

ktazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
brooklyn ny
So the ceramic from bigtexas is pretreated in a kiln? So safe for vaping? More I read the more I get confused on a lot on wicks. Only thing I read that's consistant is ss mesh wicks..

I dont feel like the bigtexvapor xc116 is treated enough...there might be residue on it that when i vape it tastes BAD... i feel throat hit but theres a weird taste to it and it got me super light headed its kinda worse than the burnt taste you usually get...

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I can't speak to the weird flavors you're getting since I haven't experienced it. There is a VV REO. I've never looked back since going mechanical. I don't vape VV anymore, cause I can't get the performance that I've grown accustomed to. The box shape was odd on day 1, day 2 it was fun . . .. . by day 4 the tube mod felt like some weird metal "sausage" in my hand. Everyone thinks the REO might seem/feel weird; but everyone (←probably not strictly true) falls in love with it almost instantly.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
BTW: as far as xc being treated "enough", I read in some of the literature that the "sizing" is red/pink in color, and an indication of proper treatment is the white color.

EDIT: I just re-read that thing, not 100% sure that its always pigmented. Here . . . . .https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFkQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3m.com%2Fmarket%2Findustrial%2Fceramics%2Fpdfs%2Fheat_clean_treat_instructions.pdf&ei=p4i2Uf6KNef0igLkv4HABA&usg=AFQjCNFGvAJvIUPyOGbihU_4E3sKo09oqw&sig2=SGhDgkCybYKFbwzF2IqWhQ

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I am still looking forward to trying it. Hope it works well, Thanks Commie
Yeah, that was my reaction too when I figured it out. I can reassure you though -- it vapes like a champ. Much better than regular silica, I've put about 30ml through the same wick, with one dry burn in the middle somewhere. Still tastes clear, like mesh.

martydmb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
wisconsin
Ordered 2ft of the xc-116 today and 15ml of "the dude" from bigtex. If (sorry for not quoting the person) this wicks like he says ill buy more. I find that with my silica (2m, 3mm) they don't wick as good as I thought with my igo-l. What's the best way to coil this? Use the drill method and slide through? How much hugging should the coil have? I'm asking because I see videos of people chain vaping with both setups. My airhole is 1.5mm and run 1.0 but want to knock it down because I'm using a mech.

Edit: anyone who uses a drill bit to coil fist what size do you use. 1/16

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
so, the xc-116 is 3mm in diameter, and frays when you cut it. It won't be passing through a 1/16 drill bit-wrapped coil. If you got the xc-132 (or 1/32 xc-116, as bigtex calls it), it is 1.5mm (and does not fray). This will slide/corkscrew into a 1/16 ID coil if you wet it and you're good. I've also stuck a 1/32" drill bit (sewing needle would do) in the wick and wrapped like that, then pull the needle.

martydmb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
wisconsin
so, the xc-116 is 3mm in diameter, and frays when you cut it. It won't be passing through a 1/16 drill bit-wrapped coil. If you got the xc-132 (or 1/32 xc-116, as bigtex calls it), it is 1.5mm (and does not fray). This will slide/corkscrew into a 1/16 ID coil if you wet it and you're good. I've also stuck a 1/32" drill bit (sewing needle would do) in the wick and wrapped like that, then pull the needle.

My bad that's the inside diameter of the xc-116.. so basically stick a 1/16 inside it and wrap around? Or does anyone has a bit size that they use to wrap a coil on?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
with the xc-116, I would use something very thin, like a 1/32 drill bit, or a sewing needle, inside and wrap directly on the wick. Don't be afraid to wrap firmly (you'll still have good wicking once you pull the needle out)

I actually sew the ends a bit if I'm making a short wick with the 116. (sew it before you cut)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread