• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Tanks to recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Update on BCC coil rebuild from above.

Following the method in this good video using cotton wick rebuild - completely resolves the silica wick technique issues.
Link: Evod coil with cotton - YouTube
View attachment 283409

Result/Pros :
1) incredible quiet intense flavour/vapour with zero leakage. Reason being, the cotton expands and seal up the gap.
2) Strangely quiet vape with no more famous bottom coil 'Rattling snake' sound produced by silica.
3) Can chain-vape at high voltage like crazy without burn taste.
4) Can keep removing the cotton and replace with new ones. Typically last one week per wick til the coil give way.
5) Definite advantage over top coil clearomisers as there is no way you can used cotton for them, LOL.

Cons: Makes you put aside all the top coils and silica wicks :p.

Steps :
1) Get any good grade white cotton wick. can be from super market used for make up (mine shown above after rebuilt). One whole packet can last you ages costing $1+ only. I've been using mine straight from package (some boil it, up to you) also for my rba, with no funny smell whatsever.

2) Grab a small portion and roll into a approx 3mm size stick as shown in picture. Beauty of cotton wick, you can change the diameter easily by just adding cotton and molding into shape unlike silica which can break and splitter with no way of join back.

3) Wrap your Kanthal/nichrome wire (I used 30awg) around a mini watchmaker screw driver (u can also use a cotton bud tube). I normally use around 8 wraps to give about 1.7-1-9 ohms. As usual, Before you use the wire, use a torch to red-burn the wire about three times to reduce shorting as it builds up oxide on the wire (I always used this method as normally practiced and never get shorting)

4) Insert a watch-maker together together with the coil and secure positive/negative terminals as per normal.
Ref: [vape] Micro Coil and Cotton Protank/Evod Head Rebuild - YouTube

5) Remove the screwdriver and twist/push in the cotton. The right diameter is when you push/pull into the coil, there is only slight resistance. I just rolled into cotton wick of approx 3mm diameter with a single roll.

6) Simply trim off both ends til a small bud exposed, cap the stem back and you are good to go.

Notes:
Tried mine at 10watts on Evic still 'no feeling' for the wick.
Seems like you can really go sub-ohm (with higher diameter wires of course) as shown in another micro-coil video. Cotton rocks!
I usually rebuild used > 1.5 - 2.4 ohms with 30awg, less complications as I find 30awg best overall diameter for normal rebuilb -
RDAs/Top coils/BCC/Genesis.

For sub-ohm vaping, you'll need to use lower gauge Kanthal, such as 26-28awg to maintain lower vapour temp.
Ref - Nichrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Temp versus diameter.
This explains why some users whom used the common low diameter wires such as 32/34 awg will never understand sub-ohm vaping, cuz if you used a 32awg to build 0.5ohms for instance, you'll go Holland simply vape fire with burnt smell, LOL.

heh! GREAT post. I've recently gotten into recoiling for my evods, and I've been thinking of using cotton instead of silica. For some weird reason, I've been reading that cotton gets burnt far easier than silica though, and that's the only thing keeping me from messing around with it. Other than that I hear it wicks far better. Now you've tempted me more.... :confused:

DragonSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For protank coil heads with narrower slot without the V-Groove which you can't use a precision screwdriver,
you can also use a syringe tip*. this also allows you to build a 'Nano' coil.

One caveat: as the diameter for the coil is only 1mm, it'll leak without extra layer on top. but very easy, once the cotton wick is inserted through, you'll just need to foldback to add one extra layer as shown in this video:

*Buy the 35mm needle Syringes (1mm dia) which is widely available in Unity pharmacies at < $1 a piece. the needle costs only 60cents for a set of 5, while the syringe costs only 30cents. Get 5 syringe+needle set = $2.22 (with GST), LOL.

DragonSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
HEHEHEH so after reading this thread I ran out and bought a bag of organic cotton. Just finished recoiling a head with cotton wick and vaping on it right now. Clouds, clouds everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to hear you tried finally..!!:vapor::vapor::vapor::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread