retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Generally, it depends on the resistance you're using. If the head or coil is rated at 1.8 Ohms, you'd add 2 to that for your voltage and then adjust accordingly for taste. Depends on the juice, too. I found that lower voltages work better for some juices, and higher voltages for others. Whatever works for you, works. There's really no "concrete" rule for it as long as you aren't pushing more power than the coil can handle.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Generally, it depends on the resistance you're using. If the head or coil is rated at 1.8 Ohms, you'd add 2 to that for your voltage and then adjust accordingly for taste. Depends on the juice, too. I found that lower voltages work better for some juices, and higher voltages for others. Whatever works for you, works. There's really no "concrete" rule for it as long as you aren't pushing more power than the coil can handle.

The +2 rule is generally a pretty good one when you're starting out. You can also use this chart:

VAPING POWER CHART! Found Via... | GrimmGreenIndustries

I quite often vape 2.0 ohm cartos at 4.5V, which, according to the chart, is too high - but I haven't popped a coil yet. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. Start low and work your way up.

Hope that helps.

JJ

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I've just got a vision spinner, and I don't know what voltage to run it at.

How do you decide on a voltage?

Is there a rule of thumb?

I just bump it up to the highest it will go without tasting burnt :vapor:

As others have mentioned start by turning voltage down and go up slowly until you hit your "sweet spot". You'll find diff juices taste better at diff voltages. As for the ohms of your juice delivery system (holds and vaporizes the juice) I've found they are generally not as advertised ohms wise. Unless you have a digital multi tester we really don't know the true ohms.
With my Spinner and a 1.8 ohms JDS I usually fire from 4- 4.3 volts BUT I enjoy a warm vape.
Best of Luck.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Rule of thumb? Voltage = square-root of (desired watts * coil ohms). Use your computer calculator.

Suggest somewhere around 7 or 8 watts if know don't know your personal preference. This is for single coils. For dual coils...double the ohms 1st then calc.

Example: 8 watts * 2.0 ohms = 16. Square root of 16 is 4 volts. That may be too hot for your preference or particular juice, or just fine. Up to you. And the 2.0 ohms is the ACTUAL measured value, not the theoretical value.

So basically, you end up adjusting it +/- anyway. lol. The ohms even change as the coil gets used.

I'm still going to invent that color coded e-cig....you know...the warmer/cooler dial. No #'s allowed. ;)

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Geeez! The OP is using a Spinner. Don't confuse him with that stuff! :laugh:

I know you're joking, but :facepalm:

1) Spinner people = smart.
2) E-cig people = smart.
3) Square root is on all computer calculators and is 3rd grade math.

Quit assuming the audience is stupid or that a simple square-root is over everyone's head! Besides....I REALLY, REALLY, hate vaping charts. It's all a simple formula. The whole chart is generated with a simple formula. So.... Grrrrrrr. Who wants to carry a chart around? Not me! Did I mention I hate vaping charts? :D

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
FL
As others have mentioned start by turning voltage down and go up slowly until you hit your "sweet spot". You'll find diff juices taste better at diff voltages. As for the ohms of your juice delivery system (holds and vaporizes the juice) I've found they are generally not as advertised ohms wise. Unless you have a digital multi tester we really don't know the true ohms.
With my Spinner and a 1.8 ohms JDS I usually fire from 4- 4.3 volts BUT I enjoy a warm vape.
Best of Luck.

Or just get a device that gives you the ohm reading on your delivery system. Vamos do this, as does the Vape-Pro, Provari, Evic, iTaste, etc.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
Some people aren't fantastic at finding square roots. A much simpler formula is just to double the ohm and then you've got your max voltage. Then adjust to a setting anywhere at or below that level to find your sweet spot. A little less math... still just as satisfying.

Thank you, thank you! Now that's a formula that will stay in my fuddled little brain. (Not to dis any of the other answers to the question in any way - great info, but sometimes the KISS formula is what I really, really need!)

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Some people aren't fantastic at finding square roots. A much simpler formula is just to double the ohm and then you've got your max voltage. Then adjust to a setting anywhere at or below that level to find your sweet spot. A little less math... still just as satisfying.

Unfortunately, the "double it" rule doesn't work particularly well for low resistances or dual coils. Even though I posted the link to the vaping chart, I agree with AttyPops - one of the best things a new vaper can do is to familiarise him/herself with Ohm's Law.

Whilst charts are flawed, they do give a visual representation of what is happening when you change resistances or voltages independently of each other - and sometimes this is useful in getting people over the hump.

JJ

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010

So I should vape a 3 ohm coil at 6 volts? NOT!!!! (5 volts).
The problem with that is....it doesn't work. Well, kinda works, within a very narrow range. But it's still....meh.

I'm bad at finding square roots too. That's why I use a calculator on my computer. Then I might do something real complex....like surf the internet.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hey OP drop all of the above garbage. Formula my rear. Set it on 3.3 and vape then turn it up a little vape again keep doing this until it tastes a little burnt then back it down to the best flavor. Adjust to your taste buds not some stupid number.

We already said that....IN THE POST WITH THE NUMBERS!

However, the OP specifically asked what the rule of thumb was........

You guys need to read the posts........:facepalm:

It isn't a debate on how to do it. It's an answer to the OP's question. Do it however you want.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread