What will another round of tariffs due to the Vape industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The only way to be sure your vaping can continue through government meddling is to buy more hardware than you think you'll ever need, learn to recoil RBA's, and learn to make your own juice. Most flavors will be around through the FDA scare. Stockpile and freeze some 100mg nic just in case. Learn to be satisfied with lower nic juice to make your nic stash extend. Cutting the nic in half makes your stash last twice as long.
I'd rather double my nic stash personally.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Not $200B in tariffs, but tariffs on $200B worth of goods.

What vape goods come from China? Mods, tanks, and other atties. These are "durable goods". You buy them once and they last a while. Let's say the average life of a Chinese vape rig is one year, and the price increases from $65 to $100. That increases to cost of vaping by a whopping ten cents a day. I don't think this is terribly significant, and it certainly wouldn't prevent me from vaping.

Yes on $200bn worth of goods. My fingers got the better of me typing that ha ha. It all depends on what is included. It could be on items directly related to Vaping or not. Bottles, Batteries, Chemicals and so on. It could be on electronics used to produce vape juice processing equipment printing materials and such.... It could be on the shipping containers product is shipped in, Ships, Trucks and parts.....it just doesn't end and all those pennies start to add up over time...... I wonder if Trumps "Make America Great Again" hats and t-shirts made in China are included? hmmmmmmmmm (I don't actually know if they are made in China but I've been watching too much Fox news lately and anything is possible) ha ha ha ha I am going to flip over to the History channel now and see how many aliens have landed since yesterday.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep I'm feeling like I would like a bit more nic. I always feel like that in times of uncertainty though.

I also can't really say the amount of snus (and I can't afford to yet) I want to buy, just so I know I will have it.

This really... I mean, it really drives home what a boon vaping is to ex smokers. I KNOW I would resume smoking if I did not have what I need. I KNOW I WOULD. It's just so sad that something that is so beneficial for those that need it is being attacked on so many fronts. I mean.... This is yes, something I enjoy, I like having some nice vapes, and flavors and etc.

But in genuine truth I'd vape an unflavored Juul for the rest of my life at vastly inflated cost, if that's what it took to keep me from smoking. I still think teen vaping should just be ignored but it's the "need it" part that just gets me. You don't see people on dialysis being denied a "part" of their treatment etc. Sigh.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd rather double my nic stash personally.

Good point. I have two liters in the freezer now. It wouldn't hurt to have one or two more. At my normal 3mg strength and about 10ml a day I can get about 7 to 9 years of DIY juice from a liter, so maybe I'm good.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good point. I have two liters in the freezer now. It wouldn't hurt to have one or two more. At my normal 3mg strength and about 10ml a day I can get about 7 to 9 years of DIY juice from a liter, so maybe I'm good.
@mikepetro has a doomsday calculator posted here somewhere. My link is at home on the computer.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Simplified answer: Markets will always adjust and commerce will always continue. Economic studies (objective ones, that is) show that there is little real impact of a tariff on either importers or exporters in the economic long run.*

It the economic short run,* the net importer enjoys a benefit of less price competition when the net exporter is unable or unwilling to lower prices.

*There is no chronological definition of which "run" is short and which is long. In the short run, market actors can only make decisions based on transaction price. In the long run, actors can change the allocation of inputs (land, capital, labor and raw materials). Input reallocation only occurs if the trade regime is perceived to be permanent.

International trade is a LOT more complicated than this 101 byte.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wonder how the wage rate gap will affect prices when we bring jobs back to the U.S.? I'm all for U.S. jobs coming back, but it will be a shock to see prices double and triple at Walmart. The links below are from 2017.

'Made in China' isn't so cheap anymore, and that could spell headache for Beijing

Turns out that "made in China" is not so cheap anymore as labor costs have risen rapidly in the country's vast manufacturing sector.

Chinese factory workers are now getting paid more than ever: Average hourly wages hit $3.60 last year, spiking 64 percent from 2011, according to market research firm Euromonitor. That's more than five times hourly manufacturing wages in India, and is more on par with countries such as Portugal and South Africa.

U.S. Factory Worker Salary
  1. United States
  2. Job
  3. Factory Worker
Factory Worker Salary
$12.91
Avg. Hourly Rate
Show Salary
Average additional compensation for this job:
Bonus
$800
Profit Sharing
$1,965

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Factories aren't what they used to be. Far fewer people needed to manufacture goods anymore. More robotics and fewer people

I agree with that. I like to watch "How it's made". There's a few workers feeding and maintaining machines and robotic devices. There's lots of computer driven routers, saws, and material handling.

I like the description, "The factory of the future will only employ two workers, a man and a dog. The dog's job is to keep the man away from the equipment and the man's job will be to feed the dog".

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I'm personally not worried about this at all and I think it's better in the long run for the country.

Things were insanely expensive when I first began vaping. I remember when 30 ml of commercial "premium" juice cost me $25-$30.

I spend way less on vaping now than I did just a few short years ago.

Even if a few items would become slightly more expensive, then that doesn't concern me at all, because my overall vaping costs will still be way less than it was before.

I'm more concerned about politicians, big tobacco, the FDA and others who would try to get vaping banned and eliminate all of my favorite flavors, using the "think about the kids" stupid and disingenuous talking point.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Well I'd be more concerned with the FDA "looking" to ban flavoring release from a few days ago. To bad they aren't "looking" at the actual stats, which show a decline in smoking and vaping by teens or that teens showed if they chose to try flavors would be tobacco or single malt scotch.

Honestly tariffs shouldn't be that bad, as the prices most shops (around me anyways) charge double to triple the price of FT. Not going to get into authentic pricing, it's all over the place. Most places around me charge msrp on popular stuff, then after a couple months drop the price but it's still not close to online.

Now don't get me wrong I know they have overhead and have to make a profit but.........When they sell an RDA for $30 and it's only $6 on FT, that's gouging a bit, especially when I know they are buying straight from FT, as I've seen the packages come in. There's room to absorb some cost, now if they choose to or not is up to the shop.

In the end I think we as consumers will just see less sales or discounts online. In stores it's a toss up, good stores will stay close to same pricing and other stores will just raise the price to whatever, like they do now. I'm for the tariffs, yeah it sucks as a penny pinching consumer but it opens the door for US companies (small generally) to be able to compete or maybe I'm just being optimistic.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Most Favored Nation was always just about bringing the US down a peg or two. Did anyone really believe it would truly lead to China's assimilation into the world economy, or it's absorption of it?

Yes, retailer margins went from the traditional doubling to triple and quadruple. But then we had trans-nationals like Microsoft as an example. Everybody plays the wage differentials these days. And we learned to enjoy the needle substituting one compulsion for another.

We've been asleep at the wheel for a very long time.

Good luck. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
It's somewhat odd. My informal survey…China sources factored in prospective tariffs by raising their prices, in weeks, often disproportionately and higher than anticipated applicable assessments. This in the face of reducing demand into which they had been discounting. Now the dreaded threat of flavoring bans and nada.

Mystifying. Like their general and sudden dismissal of mech mods.

Is China reactive, or proactive?

Good luck. :)

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Honestly, I don't believe these tariffs are our biggest concern long term.

What will kill us as vapers will be once the FDA starts to regulate EVERYTHING we use. Mods, devices, consumables (coils and juices). For 'approved' products, the companies will need to make the additional $$$ needed for the approval process. I'm sure nicotine will be regulated and taxed, just like tobacco currently is. Hardware will likely be taxed as well.

Once this all becomes regulated, it may be more expensive to vape than smoke. Many industries survive just fine on self-regulation. Once the govt jumps in and starts regulating, all bets are off. We may even lose access to open type systems, only be able to buy nicotine at low concentrations and amounts, etc.

I've got enough hardware to last me until the end of my life. I probably also have at least 20 year supply of nicotine if I stay at 3mg DTL. As soon as the weather cools down, I will be buying a few more liters of nicotine for the freezer though. Probably a liter of freebase, and a liter of salts. Going to do that twice/year whether I need it or not. Figure we probably won't have the ability to do this more than a few years at best.

I'm very happy with the quality of my current vape. I still eyeball new gear out of shinyitis though.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, I'm ready to vape for life I think.

Price hikes are so odd. I do think some vendors go, "There will be a hike, I am going to sneak another 10% in there folks won't notice." It's either that or they are worried their sales will go DOWN and well, they proactively raise prices for that possibility.

I have no clue though, I'm not an economist THANK GOD because a) I would be miserable and b) I don't think I'd have too many clients.

I am far more annoyed with the FDA than tariffs right now though. My current annoyance is BOUNDLESS. LOL I got to tell my little brother on the phone that I was getting ready to Joan of Arc it. He laughed. He knows me, and that means he KNOWS there is a 50/50 shot. Etc.

Just sharpening mah sword, but I owned horses growing up so that part will be ZERO problems..
Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread