What will another round of tariffs due to the Vape industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
It appears that the USA is about to drop additional tariffs on $200bn of Chinese goods. This is going to be quite a mess for the small vape shops when the new price hikes hit. As I own a small business which imports products I can only imagine how the small guys are feeling right now.

I have not seen the list of goods being hit yet but it should be available by Monday.

Will the consumers still vape if there is a significant price hike?

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Current vapers will. New vapers will think twice even though it is generally still cheaper than smoking. Retailers will both decrease profit margins and only partially pass the full cost on to the consumer to try and maintain sales volume.

Overall? A lose lose situation as that vape gear will never return to the US for manufacturing.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping will become more expensive either way. If it's made in the USA labor costs will more than offset shipping costs, especially with the low shipping costs and the free shipping deals from China.

NAFTA was good for prices, but had for American labor. It did what it was designed to do: Kill Unions in America. Union wage increases elevated salaries across the U.S. Employers were concerned that their workers would unionize, so they matched union wages in many cases to prevent their workforce from joining. My employer did that numerous times. As a tech rep/field engineer my salary was kept in line with union pay grades and the company was constantly sending HR down to tell us how good we had it without having to pay union dues.

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I think most vapers will keep vaping through price escalations. I remember as a smoker people saying if cigarettes hit $X per pack they would quit, none that I know did, myself included. When i quit cigarettes on the North Slope were $10.00 a pack, I paid without hesitation.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know I will still spend money on vaping but I will be paying more for less items that is just a fact, because if anything I want to be decreasing my vaping budget not increasing it, although I will say part of my spending in the past was in preparation for These Days and etc.

It will be a struggle for small businesses I would think. It would also be an incentive for them to step up their game with new vapers and not sell new vapers purely juice and vape hogging items that may not ultimately be necessary for new vapers and may turn them away.

It will be a hard choice kinda deciding between US vendors and well, Chinese ones, because the US vendors will still be more expensive, although a fair subset of my vaping money has always gone toward US RESELLERS if not manufacturers, especially if you include DIY.

I think this, plus upcoming bans on vaping things are going to make the future look a bit dire for a bit. I hope it will bounce back and markets often DO recover from things such as this, but I would not care to be a vape shop emporium owner just now, really not even a little bit. I hope quality o service will rise, and we may see less overall vendors, but quality vendors will still hopefully have options.

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
It appears that the USA is about to drop an additional 200bn $'s in tariffs on china. This is going to be quite a mess for the small Vape shops when the new price hikes hit. As I own a small business which imports products I can only imagine how the small guys are feeling right now.

I have not seen the list of goods being hit yet but it should be available by Monday.

Hope such an opportunity motivates more intra-state entrepreneurs. I understand appeals courts have ruled such production is not subject to federal regulation, e.g. gun manufacturing, CA, 9th no less!). And consumers would be well served by more authentic ingenuity and diversity.

They can't put this genie back in the bottle. It just spreads.

Good luck. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It appears that the USA is about to drop an additional 200bn $'s in tariffs on china.
Not $200B in tariffs, but tariffs on $200B worth of goods.

What vape goods come from China? Mods, tanks, and other atties. These are "durable goods". You buy them once and they last a while. Let's say the average life of a Chinese vape rig is one year, and the price increases from $65 to $100. That increases to cost of vaping by a whopping ten cents a day. I don't think this is terribly significant, and it certainly wouldn't prevent me from vaping.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Since the list is not yet published, hard to tell.
I doubt vaping gear would be on anyone's list as there is no domestic manufacturing to my knowledge, unless it would fall under some mega category.
Nevertheless, tariffs are the least of our problems coming out of Washington at this point in time.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The only way to be sure your vaping can continue through government meddling is to buy more hardware than you think you'll ever need, learn to recoil RBA's, and learn to make your own juice. Most flavors will be around through the FDA scare. Stockpile and freeze some 100mg nic just in case. Learn to be satisfied with lower nic juice to make your nic stash extend. Cutting the nic in half makes your stash last twice as long.

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Interesting replies. I am very curious to see how this whole deal plays out in the end. My business will be or might be affected by what is going on so it's been frustrating with all the uncertainty. I have recently tried to expand sales outside of the USA but with all this talk back and forth I have had to put the brakes on HARD!
Has anyone found the list of products affected under this next batch of Tariffs?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not $200B in tariffs, but tariffs on $200B worth of goods.

Exactly. To those of us who lived through the 70s that's just business as usual. Following the Vietnam war prices escalated so much that we learned to live with price hikes and shortages as normal occurences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread