What will be the ultimate undoing of The United States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
I think a lot of our problems come from the fact that family income has been stagnant while many fixed family expenses have gone way up. Families had more income a generation ago with one worker than families have now with both parents working. It creates systemic problems, both financially and socially.

This video is a worthwhile watch. The talk starts at about 5:00. She doesn't really touch on the political implications, just explains how we got where we are now, and where it could lead. Very thought-provoking.

YouTube - The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Apathy. Most people surveyed don't care or don't involve themselves in congressional activity, don't take the time to read the paper and study the candidates to see what they believe, don't vote, don't generally know what has happened in politics until someone asks them what they think about the latest issue. They have no clue and simply don't care. Other people are paid to make the laws and decisions regarding their well being.

That kind of thinking and party line voting gets us into trouble. I'm not entirely against some kind of qualification for voting. I know that withholding the right to vote is not good, but I resent the fact that half the voters don't know why they voted for the candidate they pulled the lever or blacked out the circle for. The straight ticket vote is a mixture of bad and good and is never the best vote.

There ought to be a class to take before you can vote. After all, you have to take a test to get a driver's license. That's for public safety. Voting apathetically can lead to dissolution of the American Dream. We are already seeing the edge of the cliff. I think we are closer now than we ever have been, considering that we are not the only industrial leader or the only country to turn to for certain necessities. They will wonder how we got there and blame the one who is in office.

Last edited:

FredK

Jul 17, 2010
NJ
Apathy. Most people surveyed don't care or don't involve themselves in congressional activity, don't take the time to read the paper and study the candidates to see what they believe, don't vote, don't generally know what has happened in politics until someone asks them what they think about the latest issue. They have no clue and simply don't care. Other people are paid to make the laws and decisions regarding their well being.

That kind of thinking and party line voting gets us into trouble. I'm not entirely against some kind of qualification for voting. I know that withholding the right to vote is not good, but I resent the fact that half the voters don't know why they voted for the candidate they pulled the lever or blacked out the circle for. The straight ticket vote is a mixture of bad and good and is never the best vote.

There ought to be a class to take before you can vote. After all, you have to take a test to get a driver's license. That's for public safety. Voting apathetically can lead to dissolution of the American Dream. We are already seeing the edge of the cliff. I think we are closer now than we ever have been, considering that we are not the only industrial leader or the only country to turn to for certain necessities. They will wonder how we got there and blame the one who is in office.

Totally agree about the voting issue. I simple IQ test should be required. If you score less than 100, you only get 1/2 a vote. Too many nitwits in this country, look how close Sarah Palin got to being second in command!

I think another problem is the two party system. Each party exists to perpetuate its on survival. They don't care about the people, they care about the party. Each party will do anything to make the other party look bad. It's no wonder nothing worthwhile ever gets done. Disband all parties and go to a no party system.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
I can't allow myself to be consumed with my concern for the country... It has ended up consuming days, months and years of my life, before... And being concerned never was productive. I've had to learn to live with the fact that nothing is going to change. That has served me well. So I am going to back out of this soon.

That was good thinking
If anyone wants to know everything they ever need to know ... everyone has GOT to see a movie called Idiocracy .. It'll make you laugh your balls off!!

Oh and thanks for suggesting that movie saving silveman.. Some of it had me in stitches.

ShadowWulf

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Totally agree about the voting issue. I simple IQ test should be required. If you score less than 100, you only get 1/2 a vote. Too many nitwits in this country, look how close Sarah Palin got to being second in command!

I think another problem is the two party system. Each party exists to perpetuate its on survival. They don't care about the people, they care about the party. Each party will do anything to make the other party look bad. It's no wonder nothing worthwhile ever gets done. Disband all parties and go to a no party system.

Which IQ test? Which "standard" grading system? Based on what? Measurement of...?

Wait, do you even know what IQ tests are and what they measure and in what ways?

Also, Idiocracy is an awesome film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread