What's the deal with Glycerin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg

Newbie here, I may have jumped the gun and bought the wrong glycerin bottle.

I checked three places.
1. Target - did not have any in my local store
2. CVS - found under the "Laxatives" isle... did not say USP on label but did say it was 100$ mineral oil(whatever that means), it was a CVS branded item
3. Duane Reade - bought from them. It was behind the counter, although there's not indication that this was not available over-the-counter.

Here's what I bought:

Glycerin(Skin Protectant) USP from HUMCO
16FL OZ(473mL) 1PT $21.09

Under Active Ingredients Purpose
Glycerin 99.5% Anhydrous Skin Protectant

Question, has anyone else used this? is this the correct Glycerin form?

How is this different from PG(Propylene Glycerin) and VG(Vegetable Glycerin)?

Description
The liquid is clear(like water).

btw, on the label of the bottle, it lists this site: http://simplehomeremedies.com/products/

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
I had read a lot of post talking about the HUMCO Glycerin and a lot of people in this post are using it, so you will not have any problem with it.

Porpelin Glicon is extracted from petroleum.

VG is extracted from Vegetables. It is sweet and would dumb the taste of the eliquid, so you will have to ad a little more flavor to your eliquid or get used to it.

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
I had read a lot of post talking about the HUMCO Glycerin and a lot of people in this post are using it, so you will not have any problem with it.

Porpelin Glicon is extracted from petroleum.

VG is extracted from Vegetables. It is sweet and would dumb the taste of the eliquid, so you will have to ad a little more flavor to your eliquid or get used to it.

Is there some tutorial on how to do the mixing? I'm coming across a lot of discussions but no definitive thread on how-to mix.

Also by your description, does that mean my HUMCO Glycerin is PG? or is it in a category of it's own?

Glycerin, PG, & VG?

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
This thread should give you an idea on how to mix Howard - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/5066-eliquid-recepies.html

There's not much to it really, you need something to use as a base that makes vapour - glycerine and/or propylene glycol are fine for that; flavour and nicotine (if you want that).

I think part of my confusion has to do with wording. You say, "glycerine". I say, "glycerin". Are we talking about the same thing?

If so are you implying that Glycerin & PG are the same?

I've also read elsewhere that the use of distilled water is not necessary in the mixing. Some use it some done. For instance, in this video:

YouTube - Custom E-Liquid for E-Cigarette

She's doing a 1:1:1 ratio no?
Glyercin: Nicotine : Flavoring?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
There are a few different spellings for glycerine/glycerin/glycerol, etc. It's not the same as propylene glycol but they do the same job and can be used interchangeably.

Water or clear alcohol are sometimes added if the mix is too thick and doesn't wick from cartridges properly. It's sometimes needed if you mix with glycerine because that's gloopy. Add it last, after the other ingredients because you might not need it at all or might put too much in.

The ratio of ingredients will change depending on how strong the flavouring is and the strength of the nicotine eliquid you use.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/5712-hack-o-matic-e-liquid-calculator.html

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
Okay, glad I was able to confirm that the HUMCO Glycerin is somewhat safe to use. Least I won't be the only person trying it. I'd rather follow a group of people jumping off a bridge than doing it myself.

@ccure,

So your basically saying, it's up to the individual to play around with, whether or not to use both PG & VG, and also whether or not to add water.

Here's another question though, some suppliers have their own mixes of flavored liquids. I read somewhere in a thread that most are obtained from a manufacturer pre-mixed in a factory. Now, does that mean that some liquids arrive with PG or VG already in them? By "cutting" them even more is there any ill effects? How do we know if a liquid already has VG or PG mixed into it?

Thanks Kate, ccure, hooyah for the fast & knowledgeable responses.

I also want to add that the Glycerin bottles I found at CVS(in the laxative isle) stated that it was for oral use. But did not have USP mentioned on the label. I also noticed a large selection of Glycerin tablets, apparently for laxative use. I stood there a moment contemplating whether or not to get it. I tried to read the ingredients on the bottle, when all of a sudden this hot blonde walked by, she looked at what I was holding(the laxative bottle), and gave a half concealed smirk. I placed that bottle back where it came from and left.

I'm glad I went with the HUMCO brand. There's no indication it's for laxative use, but rather skin protection(which still leaves me quite puzzled). I know that Glycerin has over 1000 uses.

Last edited:

howard

May 11, 2009
New York

maskgeek

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Philippines
www.louhilario.com
Yesterday, I went to a drug store and asked for Glycerin, the lady said "for adults or for kids". I said "for adults". Then she handed me a box of suppositories.

Over here, it is called "Pure Glycerine".

Howard, have you tried vaping Glycerin as is. I find mine has a very waxy taste. It does produce a lot of vapor, very white. Problem is if you add it to the e juice, they loose their flavor.

Kate, can you tell me what the taste of PG and VG when vaped. I want to know the taste difference.

Last edited:

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
Yesterday, I went to a drug store and asked for Glycerin, the lady said "for adults or for kids". I said "for adults". Then she handed me a box of suppositories.

LOL, That's exactly what I didn't want the hot blonde to think when I was holding a bottle of glycerin suppositories...

maskgeek said:
Howard, have you tried vaping Glycerin as is. I find mine has a very waxy taste. Problem is if you add it to the e juice, they loose their flavor.

I haven't tried it yet. I don't think I'll be vaping it straight up like that. I'm probably going to need a pipette of some sort to make equal parts flavor + glycerin.

brobby said:
Its basically a hand held miniature fog machine...

Very astute observation.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Glycerine has loads of uses, the main thing to keep in mind is that you need food grade. USP is good but I've been told to check that it's suitable for ingesting too.

Glycerine mutes flavours, tastes a bit sweet, makes mixes thicker and produces lots of vapour. Propylene glycol is a bit thinner, not so sweet and doesn't mute flavours as much.

Also bear in mind that since glycerine is used for suppositories, if you don't like your mix you'd better not come back and complain because someone will tell you where to shove it ;)

howard

May 11, 2009
New York
With so many vapers here on this forum that mix their own juices, I really wonder if we're making an impact at the local pharmacies... I can't imagine anyone really having a use for 1 pint of Glycerin as a form of laxative.

I don't know why(perhaps I'm being paranoid), but I feel so awkward when I'm in the pharmacy looking for Glycerin, it's either people thinking I need to poop real bad or making me feel suspicious as if this is an ingredient to something deadly...:oops:

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
With so many vapers here on this forum that mix their own juices, I really wonder if we're making an impact at the local pharmacies... I can't imagine anyone really having a use for 1 pint of Glycerin as a form of laxative.

I don't know why(perhaps I'm being paranoid), but I feel so awkward when I'm in the pharmacy looking for Glycerin, it's either people thinking I need to poop real bad or making me feel suspicious as if this is an ingredient to something deadly...:oops:

haha,
Yeah I asked the pharmacists and he said "you mean suppositories?" I said no, its just glycerin in a bottle...He told me to go look by the Hair stuff, but I just left..I felt weird for asking..

If you are in the states, Michael's Arts and crafts
has 2 oz. Food grade Glycerine for about $2.00,in
their wedding cake decoration section.The usual
brand is Wilton's, and will probably alleviate some
of the reports of "waxy" taste as this was never
meant for soap use but for icing coloring.

Also, in relation to the youtube vid posted,
It's more like 40% Flavored/unflavored nic juice
-keep in mind that mixing reduces your nic mg
rating in half, roundabouts*

40% Glycerine (food grade)
5-20% Flavoring (may need to change if using unflavored PG, see *)
15-0% Distilled water (must be distilled for atomizer/pure water)

*Note-Use PG by itself if you are a ZeroNic Vaper like me,
this is available in huge quantities, for $25.00 a gallon in a
tractor/feed store.

Last edited:

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

You can also get 100% FOOD GRADE/USP GRADE glycerine at a health food store.

I have NOW Foods Vegetable Glycerine but I haven't used it yet. I only have it as backup in case I run out of PG. If you read down the page on the left side shows uses/product info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread