What's the real difference between LR and SR cartomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Actually low resistance, LR, means the heating coil has a lower resistance than the "standard" resistance. Fewer Ohms which should give a warmer vapor.

Draw is different and I agree with you, the Boge cartomizer's draw is too light for me also. Someone on here told me a trick that allowed me to get some use out of the Boge's I had. Cut the end off of one of the sleeves, or condoms, and slide it down the cartomizer stopping just short of the PV. By adjusting the gap between the sleeve and the PV, you can reduce the amount of air coming into the cartomizer and get a denser vape. It is not a perfect solution, but it can help.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
[NOTE: The following was composed before I saw Hoosier's wise reply. The "Nope!" applies to the OP, not what Hoosier wrote.]

Nope! "Low resistance" has nothing to do with the airiness of the draw, per se.

Resistance (measured in ohms) of an atomizer or cartomizer is an electronics term, just like battery voltage (measured, of course, in volts). And the two go hand in hand. All other things being equal, the higher the battery voltage (e.g., 3.7V vs. 5V vs. 6V or variable voltage) the more intense the vape (especially vapor and TH). Similarly, the lower the atomizer (or cartomizer) resistance the more intense the vape.

In your example, the standard 510 atomizer/cartomizer is 2.3 ohms. The Boge 2.0 ohm carto, therefore, is lower resistance ... actually, it is at the high end of "LR" (at least for the 510). Some LR attys/cartos are as low as 1.5 ohms (or even less). Many vapers find 2.0 ohms (at least as implemented by Boge in that cartomizer) to be just about perfect on 3.7V – thus the popularity of that carto. [On a 3.2V eGo, however, many of us prefer something like the smok Tech 1.7 ohm Mega Single Coil carto (nicknamed the Resurrector or ReJuvenator by two of the suppliers, because it brings new life to the low-voltage eGo).]

For more information on LR and on volts/ohms/watts/amps, check out this article.

That's a thumbnail sketch of "LR." In addition to that property, you may experience that Boge cartomizer as having an airy draw. Subjectively, I experience it as an "easy" draw (partly, perhaps, because I don't have to pull hard on it to get a good vape, due to its resistance).

If you are not enjoying the Boge 2.0 ohm cartomizer, you might want to try a higher resistance Boge carto or the Smok Tech Dual Coil cartomizer, which may be even more popular than the Boge. Its advertised resistance is 1.5 (or 1.6) ohms, but it is not as simple as that. Each of the two coils is 3.2 ohms, making it a very flexible cartomizer that is effective at various voltages. Some vapers like it on the eGo, on 3.7V, or even 5V. [I prefer it at around 4.2-4.5V (e.g., as generated by a variable voltage mod).]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread