Whats with all the Provari hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
It's not that the Provari is hated. It's the fanboi's who jump in with "Get a Provari" when all the person is looking for is a small eGo battery due to budget constraints. ;)
From reading the forums more recently, the Reonauts have surpassed the Provarinati in this realm. It seems like every beginner who doesn't even know how to turn on an eGo battery or attach a clearo is being directed to a Reo mod with an rba as the best solution.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am not a fan boy. I am aware that there are many choices that exist, and that the ProVari has it's limits. No variable wattage (so what? A sweet spot is a sweet spot, and whether it is 4.7 volts or 8 watts, the end result is the same - a tasty vape), no oled screen (would be nice, but whatever), can't fire sub ohm coils (really not a big deal since I am not a sport-vaper and i vape happily with my 3ohm sr carto), and it is on the pricy side. However, I bought my mini over a year ago, and i have used it heavily every day since it was delivered to me, and i have not had one single issue with it. If I did have a problem with it, I can get it fixed, warranty or not. It will last a lifetime and then some. Is it the most powerful and advanced pv on the market? Probably not. However, it is the one pv i can count on day in and day out. We'll worth the investment, especially considering that it works just as well today as it did before all the miles i put on it.

Completely agree with this. :thumb:

My children likely will have me laying in my coffin much like they see me alive today -- with a Provari in my hand ... and with the power button blinking away to say it's battery needs to be changed.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I'm just getting into this, (transitioning from Greensmoke products), so I didn't want to spend ~$200 on an APV right off the bat. After reading up on the less expensive models, I went with a Tesla.

I'll probably buy a Provari eventually, but I think I'll wait for the next model. I'd like to see one with VW.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From reading the forums more recently, the Reonauts have surpassed the Provarinati in this realm. It seems like every beginner who doesn't even know how to turn on an eGo battery or attach a clearo is being directed to a Reo mod with an RBA as the best solution.

Fanboi/girlism is generally not good for newbies in any discipline. More experienced people can read between the lines and figure things out for themselves. Newbs really need to be listened well to and responded to appropriately to help them, not to push the responders agenda.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
You'll likely go through two mods which will die before that actually happens.

That's a possibility.

Like I said, I'm new to this. If I love the hell out of my Tesla on VV, (rather than VW), with certain toppers, then maybe I'll look into a current Provari model.

We'll see.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
SNIP
....you're supporting some massive conglomeration in Asia that pays people 10 cents a day to eat dog food and steal other people's work...

SNIP

Seriously, if you haven't held a provari in one hand and any other mod in the other, you have no idea how much like cheap thrown together crap most things are.

Oh my goodness! This is the worst kind of racist ignorant nonsense I have read on the forum for a VERY long time :(.

keithu2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Honolulu, HI, USA
You'll likely go through two mods which will die before that actually happens.

Good point, as usual. Now I can go home and order the 'mini and other stuff that are sitting in the cart.
I've read through a lot of the threads on this topic and even if I am a newb', I think it will be right for me.

It's a lot like golf equipment. There's new stuff coming out every year, but is it really better (straighter, longer, more forgiving) than the previous model(s)? I don't know for sure, but it sure hasn't helped my game a whole lot. I have enough drivers, putters, and irons to get me on the tour, yet I'm still here. . .

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I bought a Provari and don't regret it one bit....

It does what it is supposed to do very well IMHO and is something I don't mind taking out to the desert or beach for the weekend. It serves a purpose but not the end all be all device for vaping. Would I rap a .8 ohm coil on a Kayfun and put it on it, no because that isn't what it is for. The best use for me is a nice killer 705 in a tank for long drives with constant delivery of vapor.

*steps onto soapbox*

Having been away from the ecig scene for a long time, thanks in part to one of my favorite podcasts going away (Vaporcast), Ive been vaping away in my own little part of the world on a Provari V1 with a Zatty, probably for 2 years on the Provari and 1 year on the Zatty.

I decided to pop back on to the forums and I see nothing but insulting comments toward Provari owners and Zatty owners (Koolaid drinkers) as well as just pure negativity towards Provape.

There are two legitimate things I would fault Provape for (the makers of the Provari), not having come up with a variable wattage design and not reducing the price on their current devices. They are certainly these days WAY overpriced, especially when you consider you can pick up (from what I hear anyway), a far superior device such as the Vamo for $60 from Smoktech, tho, not in a smaller form factor, more on this in a bit.

Now, I have a Vamo sitting here on my desk along with an Ithaka attached (they are beautiful I might add) but I am unable to use either because I threaded the only wire sent with the Ithaka by mistake into the screw threads and clipped it (Clouds of Vapor is sending me a replacement). And I cant really use the Vamo because I REFUSE to go back to a carto tank (my Zatty wont fit on the Vamo). So, until I get a replacement, Ill just kick back and wait.

My Provari and Zatty have served me well and Im STILL very happy with both.

My purchasing decision on the Provari was a simple one, first, it was one of the first, if not the first to offer variable voltage off a single 18650 battery. Second, it provided more accurate power control than any other mod, I tried several even a year after I got my provari and I could literally feel the temp in the vapor going up and down on a single vape as well as the battery drain causing the vape to get weaker as the battery had less and less juice.

But, even tho there are several other mods on the market that are reviewed higher than the Provari, the one thing Provape has done is allowed for different form factors. Good luck finding a decent variable wattage design that doesnt take an 18650 battery (in other words, not everyone wants to carry what looks like a pipe bomb with a science experiment (ie. tank system) attached to the top of it). Sure, there are a small number of variable voltage devices with different form factors, my thinking is, if I want variable voltage, I want the best performing and to my point of view, for variable voltage, the Provari is still the best on the market.

If we are going to treat the Provari in the same style as some in the tech industry do for companies like Apple (ie. Apple owners clearly have too much money and are willing to spend too much on a product that is far overpriced), then we need to do the same for items like the Golden Greek line of products. And, I just want to state here and now, I do not agree with faulting people for spending money on good quality products. The entire point of this entire paragraph is to state the inconsistency of this bizarre argument that just because the Provari is overpriced that their users are suckers for buying them. I would argue that the Golden Greek line of products made by Imeo are overpriced. Beautiful as they are, one cannot deny they are probably more expensive than they should be. But their users are NOT suckers for buying them. I love my Provari. To be honest, I didnt use my GGTS all that much (3 weeks maybe and then it went into a drawer) but there are people who LOVE their GGTS. And you know what? Thats absolutely fine by me. Not every device is for everyone.

And yes, I have a GGTS with the terrible AVS tank system that was later upgraded to the same virtually terrible AFS tank system (I have both). This isnt a knock on Imeo so much as a general statement that we the users are the beta testers. Dare I say, the ecig industry STARTED the kickstarter mentality we are seeing today. We buy the products and then voice our opinions on how they can be improved.

There are overpriced mods and there are underpriced mods (dare I say, at least from what I read, I think Smoktech couldve gotten away with $80-$100 for the Vamo, one such example).

Tanks are also not an exception to this. Since I havent actually used my Ithaka yet, I cant say to the performance of it but what I can say is, its probably the most expensive tank you can buy at $200. And thats not even considering the additional tank extensions that are soon to be out that increase the tank size from either 4 ml to either 6 mil or even 8 mil (from what I understand, there will be two size upgrades available). And who knows how much these will cost.

There is also the Zatty, which for whatever reason, gets the same amount of hate as the Provari. Now, I understand the hate against its creator (not saying I agree with it), alot of people were put off by the way Zen handled that whole fiasco at last years vapefest, but that doesnt change the product itself. And the Zatty is priced at $150, again, another super expensive (and I might argue, overpriced) mod on the market.

As one final statement, no areas that I can think of outside the tech industry (I include ecigs as part of the tech industry) do we look down on people who spend money on products. Ferrari is generally considered a terrible performer and way overpriced but we dont frown on people owning them.

We need to mature in this industry. Its time to grow up. We are all adults here, free to make our own decisions. We also learn from those decisions and certainly do not need the peanut gallery (everyone around us) teasing, making fun of, or generally insulting the intelligence of our purchasing decisions, nor should we be snubbing our nose at companies trying to charge a premium on their products.

This is capitalism. This folks is how it works. Companies can charge what they want and we can purchase what we want and I am glad we have the freedom to choose and companies have the freedom to create and charge what they think their work is worth.

*exits soap box*

I have a provari as well as a vamo and a k100 and I love my provari to death!

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Good point, as usual. Now I can go home and order the 'mini and other stuff that are sitting in the cart.
I've read through a lot of the threads on this topic and even if I am a newb', I think it will be right for me.

It's a lot like golf equipment. There's new stuff coming out every year, but is it really better (straighter, longer, more forgiving) than the previous model(s)? I don't know for sure, but it sure hasn't helped my game a whole lot. I have enough drivers, putters, and irons to get me on the tour, yet I'm still here. . .

You won't regret it

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Don't get me wrong, I buy things from China all the time. It's almost impossible not to. My point is that when you look at the original versus the knock off, think about what goes into that price difference.
Since you are a noob, maybe you are unaware of the fact that ecigs originally came from China. 99. something % of all ecigs STILL come from China. One could argue about what is original and what is a clone or at the very minimum inspired by something else until the cows come home - and beyond!!!
Have you ever been to Chinese factories? They are about the worst working conditions you can imagine, aside from Bangladesh.

Almost daily there are horrendous human rights violations reported on, and I'd wager the only reason 50% of their factories haven't been caught is because they do a better job of keeping people out.
I think you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Look HERE as an example of a Chinese factory. Have YOU been to a Chinese factory? Have you been to any factory? Have you ever travelled abroad or even left your state? Just wondering...

"everything is a clone of something else" are you kidding? While certain attributes of a class of products may be common, there have been hundreds of new things in vaping alone in the past few years.
Nothing new under the sun, but if it is, it's from China lol.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
It would be more challenging if you did it in rectangular coordinates instead of spherical. :)

Back in my university days, I had a professor that gave a wicked hard calculus problem on a final. Wicked hard as long as you were stuck in cartesian coordinates. Solution just fell out if you had the sense to see that spherical coordinates lended itself to the problem at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread