where can vapers smoke on the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I was actually allowed to vape at my desk for the first month...I work in a small office and I was respectful about it. I asked everyone to tell me if it bothered them and I would stop. No one said anything...to me.

Well, one morning I received an email from my supervisor stating that she was happy that the e-cig had helped me quit smoking, but that since she wasn't that familiar with what is in the liquid, and that "some people" have complained to her that the vapor and smell was "offensive", could I please stop vaping in the office.

So now I'm back to going outside on my "smoke" breaks. I was really ...... at first, now it's just "eh, whatever".

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
I'm wondering now that e-cigs are becoming so popular are employers letting workers use them in the office. Can anyone share some examples of companies where vaping is allowed on the job? I'm just curious.

I'm somewhat new to vaping... 2nd time around vaping now after trying it myself a few years back but never really got used to it. So I'm trying not to stir the pot at work and I still go outside with the guys that do smoke at work, which I like because it gives me specific times to vape, so like I still keep my typical break times etc. I do occasionally take a puff or two at my work bench when no one is around, but I'm in a warehouse 75% of my day. Never do it at my desk in the office because im in close quarters with others and not fully sure of everyone's opinions on vaping, although those that have seen me doing it, I'm being informative to them.

A lady in the front office that smoked had a heart attack last year so she definitely stopped smoking, but she started vaping in our showroom (where no one is really ever at) and she use basically using it to ween off of nicotine. Haven't seen her use it in forever.

morebass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
north
I can't vape in front of customers, but I usually just go into my bosses office and vape in there. It Helps that I got him and a few others at work into vaping.

One of my friends works in an office and used to vape in his cubicle. He even asked HR and got the OK, but the first time someone complained he got asked to stop. The bogus health canada warnings didn't help...

StacyInOkla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Oklahoma
that is funny. I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News and am writing an article on the topic: whether employers are starting to allow vaping in the workplace. I imagine big employers don't allow it and some smaller employers do. Would you be willing to talk to me about this?

What paper do you work for?

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Larger employers typically treat vaping as smoking. But it's all over the place as for policies. Small businesses are pretty much at the discretion of the owner.

Some, primarily in the health industry, won't hire or retain you if you test positive for nicotine. Some random test.

Some, primarily hospitals and college campuses, ban it anywhere on their property, even outdoors. Some of those provide "designated smoking areas" where they also allow vaping, others don't. Some allow smoking/vaping in your car in the parking lot, others don't.

Some pass on the extra cost of insurance smoking premium and test at least once for nicotine.

Some just follow state smoking law, few of which address indoor, much less outdoor vaping. Some add vaping to state anti-smoking law due to the problem of distinguishing vapers from smokers when enforcing smoking law.

Many are still unaware of vaping and have no policy on it yet, even if they have a "campus" smoking ban.

I don't think anyone's done a scientific survey of vaping policies.

CaddyWhompus

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Newington, CT, USA
At my last job (in a warehouse) the policy for smoking cigarettes was to go out to the dock. I was the first person to ever vape at the company so I basically set the policy for myself. Since the vaporizer leaves no smell I was allowed to vape as I pleased anywhere on the premises.

I now work a desk job for an insurance company. I share an office and my co-worker who doesn't smoke said I could vape as long as it didn't bother him (which it didn't) so I can vape as I please in my office although I don't do it anywhere else in the building out of courtesy for my co-workers.

hello, I started this thread last week because I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News, a global financial news service. I'm based in Greensboro, North Carolina, where I cover the tobacco industry and thus I cover electronic cigarettes. My editors assigned me to write about vaping in the workplace so that's why I tried a thread. Would you be interested in talking to me for my article about where people vape in the workplace? I appreciate your consideration. Chris Burritt (336) 808-1348

hello, I started this thread last week because I'm writing an article for Bloomberg News, the financial news service where I work, about vaping in the workplace. Would you be willing to talk to me about your experience for the article? Your situation sounds pretty cool for you since so many can't vape in the office or it's a murky situation. I appreciate your consideration. Chris Burritt (336) 808-1348

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
My guess is that the knee-jerk reaction of most employers is to treat it like cigarette smoking.

My personal experience (with a Greensmoke) is that there's essentially no odor and if nobody can smell it or see the vape cloud there's really nothing for anybody to object to. I think if you're using a setup that produces huge clouds of vapor and you're using a really strongly flavored juice you could produce some perfumey odors that people would object to.

I would doubt that it will ever be broadly accepted to just sit at a desk and vape clouds. There's too much association with "smoking" and I think even the faint odors produced by strong flavors wouldn't fly.

I spend a lot of time in empty spaces and locations where nobody can see me and it seems pretty easy to do it without any objections from anyone.

"If you didn't get caught, how do you know you did it?"

Mobocrazy, I started the thread as fancygirl. I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News writing an article about how employers are handling vaping in the workplace. Yours is great insight and seems to capture thoughts of a lot of vapers. Would you be willing to talk to me on the phone for an interview for the article? I appreciate your consideration. Chris Burritt (336) 808-1348

mogium, I started the thread as fancygirl. I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News writing an article about how employers are handling vaping in the workplace. It sounds as though your situation worked out pretty well. Would you be willing to talk to me on the phone for an interview for the article? Maybe your boss, too? I appreciate your consideration. Chris Burritt (336) 808-1348

robo74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Harvard, IL
Like others, I am in a IT office. Its not the server room, but we still have equipment in here. We keep it cooler and the air is always flowing, and we have a window that can be opened at any time. I asked HR about it, and they said as long as others in the room are ok with it, they are. I asked my one employee and he is fine with it, so I vape at my desk. Lucky me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread