Status
Not open for further replies.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
It really varies from business to business...

I'm afraid you'll most likely find most employers will treat vaping the same as tobacco smoking. Not that it's right... just the current state of things in a lot of cases. It's going to take more education and public awareness to remove the stigma that vaping is equated to smoking.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Get an initiative started with other vapers where you work. As a polite and thoughtful group, ya'll can come up with a proposal and meet with your boss.

We got a lot of stuff done that way last few places I worked...(nice outdoor picnic areas, etc.)

(most decent employers want to keep a happy workforce, especially their "top producers" and valuable old timers who have been around for a while at the company who are mentors and know the ropes).

Make sure you have a plan to soothe and answer any questions they might have, ie. literature, trials, etc.

Always best to be proactive, rather than wait for some kind of rule to come down the pike, and then everybody be bummed out and complaining.

Last edited:
that is funny. I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News and am writing an article on the topic: whether employers are starting to allow vaping in the workplace. I imagine big employers don't allow it and some smaller employers do. Would you be willing to talk to me about this?
IT guy here...currently in an empty server room :vapor:

Tiktik

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Pullman, WA
Can we legally vape in the building?
I'm a college student was studying late at the union building last night. I vape in the building then A guy who work there telling me "you can't smoke a electronic cigarette inside. " I asked two cops the other day and they absolutely said there's no law for that in Washington state yet.. Is that true and the next time I see him I'll vape in front of him once I found out the answer;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cryptic

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
A2, MI
I think for the most part it's still largely undefined. My friend works at the same place as I do and basically chain vapes in his office. Also walking around the building. I think he's going to get it banned and I am a lot more discreet (also work in a more open area).

There's a thread around somewhere about someone vaping in a vegan restaurant and customer complaints. Overall I'd say use tact, common sense and utmost respect for others. Otherwise I'd expect more strict rules will be defined sooner rather than later.

stlhawks

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
Missouri
that is funny. I'm a reporter for Bloomberg News and am writing an article on the topic: whether employers are starting to allow vaping in the workplace. I imagine big employers don't allow it and some smaller employers do. Would you be willing to talk to me about this?

At my Place of Business (fairly large global agricultural company) vaping is considered a tobacco product...IE it's against bylaws to do it on campus at all. Does that stop me? No way. I sneak vape, or Voop (vape while pooping).

Camden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2013
Wyoming
There's a thread around somewhere about someone vaping in a vegan restaurant and customer complaints. Overall I'd say use tact, common sense and utmost respect for others. Otherwise I'd expect more strict rules will be defined sooner rather than later.

This this this this this. While it doesn't smell as bad as cigarettes, many flavors do still smell. Perfumy odors can be just as overpowering as actual tobacco (if you've ever smelled a guy who's gone a bit overboard on the Ferragamo... dear lord!). The office is one thing; you know most of your coworkers well enough to explain it and seek permission. Doing it in a restaurant and those sorts of settings around strangers (and I know this is slightly OT) can be obnoxious. Other customers will resent you because you're clouding your neighboring tables with a perfumy haze and the staff will resent you because people will complain about it.

As to the topic at hand.... just get hired by an e-cig store :D

Duke23

Aug 3, 2013
SC, USA
I work at a car dealership and no one seems to care too much. One of the salesmen does it all the time but usually not in the showroom, mostly in his office (which he shares with 2+ others depending on the day) and when walking the stairwells. One of the lube techs does it wherever he happens to be standing in the shop, and a (former) parts guy would do it where he sat as well which is like an office with a large opening into the shop. I'm outside a lot but I usually don't do it inside when others are around unless its in the shop, it's an open space and no one likes anything that was just in your mouth to be in a big cloud around their head. It's also nice to be able to vape while driving their cars, no one's ever said anything since it doesn't leave a smell behind once the vapor dissipates.

Bottom line is use discretion and be respectful, and no harm in asking if people mind if you're in shared space... We don't want to become "as bad as those darn smokers" now do we :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread