Where you started... To where you are now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
How has your vaping progressed from where you started, maybe that be an Ego or a cigalike to where you are now?

This goes for Health wise, Financially, Family/Friends, Workplace Etc.

I started with one of the Logic - E - Cigs to the Ego - C Twists ( few of those ) then I jumped to an Itaste SVD. After the SVD I went headfirst into the mechanical world with little to no knowledge about it.. Now I can build a variety of coils with different wicking styles, regular nano, micro, macro, super nano, twisted, some of DeedupDex' coils etc. But now I am into the subohming/cloudchasing venture and I couldn't be any happier where I am. The flavors are exploding and so is the plumes! RDA/Gennys have got to be the best thing that have happened to me and vaping put together. I have also dropped down from 18mg to 12 and my next juice reup is going to be 6mg.

My health has drastically improved and my lungs feel back to normal as they should be without cigarettes! My family is happy that Ive found an alternative and even though they may not be super stoked about me still " smoking " which it isn't obviously. Nonetheless, They are glad Im rid of the cancer sticks, and I am as well. Same thing goes for my friends, I've converted a few over to vaping as well and have made allot of friends through my vaping.

What about you?

Kuljit

Moved On
Jan 4, 2014
Halo Triton starter kit straight to MVP2 + Protank 2 and ProVari + Kayfun. I was lucky enough to find a good friend on here that is local to help me stay on track and progress fairly rapidly into the vaping world. I couldn't stop smoking, and my breathing was so incredibly poor. Now I have full contol of my breathing and am down to 6mg from 18. Brought my sister and best friend into the vaping world. Happy vaping :)

Last edited:

cclaplante

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2014
MA
I guess I started at the end of 2010 with a Greensmoke cig-a-like, but it didn't last terribly long. Same old story, you know... battery died during a long day at work and I broke down and bought a pack.

Fast-forward to last August. MA had raised the tax on a pack of smokes by a dollar for the third time in five years (Spirits $10/pack) and I decided I had enough. I fell for some gimmicky marketing and spent way too much money on a VaporX kit, as I had ulterior motives, not to be discussed here. Anyway, I managed to find ECF while waiting for my kit to arrive, and based on good reviews here ordered a sampler of juice from FreedomSmokeUSA; their American Spirit has been my ADV since day one. I didn't even crack the seal on those crappy Chinese juices that came with the kit.

The VaporX actually worked just fine for vaping e-juice, and after the first day I was sold on vaping. What I wasn't sold on, and what I didn't realize when I ordered the kit, is that VaporX uses a non-standard thread on their devices, and replacement CE style carts were something like $30 EACH. Yeah... eff that. Luckily I happened to come across an ad for a new vape shop that opened up north of the city, so I went to check it out and ended up walking out with an EVOD kit. A few ProTanks of varying version and size were as much as I splurged over the following few months. Over the winter, I tried some non-tobacco flavors that I liked, and also was introduced to "gourmet" juice.

And then, when I hit the six-month mark, something snapped. I ordered an SVD to celebrate. Then I ordered a bunch of DIY supplies and rebuilding materials. A couple weeks ago I placed an order for two mech clones and RBA's from SlowTech. Suddenly, this has become a hobby, and I really enjoy it. I'm also enjoying tasting and smelling things again after 20 years, and not coughing up half a lung in the morning.

-C

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Great stories, love it. Mine isn't all that unusual, been smoking for ever and honestly never wanted to quit. I'll say it, I loved smoking! That being said I knew how bad it was for me and all that but really it was becoming so inconvenient that it was becoming bothersome. I bought a disposable from 7-11 that was supposed to last "2 packs", took maybe ten drags on it and put it away for the night. Next morning I pulled it out again and after about ten more drags it was dead...lol. Pretty small "packs" if you ask me.

Just happened to be driving through town and noticed a B&M that just openned and was curious so I stopped in. Again, never intended to quit but wanted to try vaping so bought an Evok starter kit with spare tank and two bottles of juice (got lucky, they had lots to try and I ended up with Boba's Bounty and Havana Gold from Alien Vision which I still vape every day). Noticed after a few days that I had cut my smoking in half without even thinking about it, a week later it had cut in half again! After two weeks I decided to just try not smoking at all but told myself that it if was hard I wouldn't fight it, I'd just smoke when I wanted to. Haven't picked up a cig since even though I still have two packs in my desk drawer.

Since then it is the typical journey, have several mech mods, a Vamo, a Duke, my first Reo, my first authentic mech mod, all sorts of tanks, toppers, RDAs, RBAs, juices and now starting to DIY.

I will say that I am proud to be part of this family, have never experienced such an overwhelming willingness to reach out and help by so many others. Really is uplifting in its own way.

Thanks to you all!

dieselrick

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
Richmond Va
Here's my story. One day at work I walked outside for a smoke and looked down at it and had that infamous thought, these have gotta go. After I walked back in I started talking to my co-worker who had been using a Halo Triton for a while. Just asking the normal questions, does it really work, is it expensive, how reliable is it? Fast forward to quitting time he mentions he wants to go check out the local B&M, thought for a minute and said figured it was worth the ride. I walk in and am greeted immediately as if I was a regular. The staff was extremely helpful and willing to work with you on what you wanted. I was kinda concerned about them trying to sell me the Provari with gold tanks and all that good stuff. I picked up an EGO mini kit and some juice for somewhere around 30 bucks. Now I am still using the EVOD tanks on top of an MVP. I really wanna get into RBA's but first I want a VV/VW tube mod. Any help is appreciated for an RBA noob. Happy vaping y'all.

NahkriinKrosis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
texas
Started with an atmos Optimus 900mAh kit from groupon (with a separate agenda), came with zero nic tobacco flavor and menthol which were both atrocious. Went to the local head shop because I had seen egos and clearos and juice in there, bought some 12-18mg/ml bottles and a three pack of ce5 style clearos. Found VaporTalk and ECF the same day, and learned about Fasttech. Ordered a vamo v5 and some clearos (garbage) and went to the local vape store (we have two in Conroe less than a mile away from me) and bought my first boge punched cartos and tanks. Stuck with those on the vamo for a month and a half before ordering the Nemesis clone and Omega RDA clone, Nimbus clone, and later bought the M16 Sentinel clone. Switched up with 101 and ordered some Youde gennys, agi and aga-t2, (hate genesis style now) just got my first kayfun lite + four days past and feel like the .32 ohm with 24ga is just perfect with 12mg/ml Turkish gold/general custard blend. All took place between January 1st, 2014 and now:) happy vaping!

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Hey Dieselrick, was gonna suggest what Nahkriin picked up as your first vv/vw mod. Vamo V5 is inexpensive and will do everything you could ever want it to do. There are a ton of choices out there so start a thread asking for advice and you'll get a million answers. Have to tell people what you are after though so they know what to suggest, I bet top votes are for Vamo V5 of MVP 2. You can pick up either one for about $40.

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin
1. Started with a no-name gas station cig-a-like 3 or so years ago, didn't like it so I continued smoking.
2. Got a rechargeable "Luxury Lites" cig-a-like from a gas station 2 or so years ago, didn't like it so I kept smoking.
3. Little over a year ago a buddy at work got a Smok Zmax and said he quit smoking with it without any major problems so I picked up a Joyetech Ego-C from local B&M. Quit smoking within 2 or 3 days.
4. As a present for my quitting success after a month bought an eVic, 2 months in tried dropping from 18mg/ml to 12mg/ml and couldn't handle started smoking a few ciggies again.
5. To get myself back into the e-cig bought a satin black ProVari Mini about a year ago and went back to 18mg/ml liquid
6. Bought a Kamry K101 mech mod a while back to use my AGA-T+ with but couldn't quite get the build good on it, finally took the time at night over the course of a week or so and have gotten to be able to wrap some good coils. Been using the ProV a lot more recently and cig usage has dropped from a PAD (again) to only 4 or 5.

My buddy from work passed away Jan 1 of this year and I vowed that I would quit smoking in honor and out of respect for him. Was a really cool guy I had known since 6th grade. I had a blood clot in my leg last May or w/e (would've thought that would have scared me to quit smoking) and when things went South for him really opened my eyes and made me realize that being young doesn't mean we won't get affected by medical problems. Thankfully I pulled through and that is why I owe it to him to quit smoking. He led me to e-cigs and encouraged me to give it a shot so I'm going to go for it again this time and succeed.

That's the cliff-notes version of my journey with e-cigs.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Started with an expensive penstyle kit in '09 but never really took fully to vaping until I got into dripping. Cartos still hold a special place in my heart, but dripping is what got me off the tobacco altogether. My all day is an IGO-W at around an ohm on a K-100, and I'm down to 2mg DIY. I may quit nicotine outright soon, but I am not entirely sure I will ever stop vaping, I enjoy it where I don't believe I ever really enjoyed smoking.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
Started with a ye old 3 piece cig-a-like back in 2008, used it off and on for years. A slew of disposables in between, as well as smoking up to about half a pack a day. Waited till the tech had advanced a bit and gave it the good try in 2013 with an Ego kit. Quit smoking that same day, and haven't looked back. :) Moved to mechs and VV/VW about 2 weeks later because the Egos weren't giving me the performance I wanted. Currently using a Nemmy w/Kayfun while out in the wild or my DNA30 w/RDA of the day while at home.

RogerWilco357

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Well I started with blu discovered their juice came from Johnson Creek and bought the juice there the Tundra for my menthol and Domestic for the wife's marlboro needs..we went from blu to V2's green smoke types , Pro smokes then bought the Vea from JC's and was happy but buying carts and ok juice left me wanting more flavor and more savings ..I found this ECF site read a lot and bought the pro tanks type of setups still paying a lot for the coils and atomizers needed and they leaked just not a good thing the wife was not liking it ..Then I found the nice flex batteries with VV...finally found the Kayfun 3.1 and matched it to the Lava tube awesome then the Provari and it was A journey completed no more junky tanks and atomizers wasted money monthly ..Now i make my own coils and wick them up..I just buy juice maybe monthly 30 bucks if that bought the wire and wick in like 20 or more feet really cheap compared to the 25 dollar 5 pack coils ...Thanks to ECF and the people here I have landed in the land of savings and flavor...you can see what we have saved by looking at the banner below..
RC

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I started with an 808 from a smoke shop. The battery just didn't last long enough, so I bought more of them. At one time, I had four charging at a time. Went to the internet to buy replacement cartos and a few more batteries. Discovered this place, and did business with Mt. Baker and Smokeless Image for a while. Made the transition to 510, sold some of my 808 stuff to a friend.

Now, I have a Vamo, with VAMO and VW ego backups. I mix my own juices, and re-coil my heads.

roach52

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Dublin, Oh
Tried Blu years ago when they were in beta they were nifty but didn't do much for my cravings and gave up pretty quick. Good news is back then they were cheap, you could easily refill the cartos and the atomizer was a separate piece so they were cheap even pre-filled.

Late last year I decided to give it another go and for some reason tried blu again probably because they were at the store by me. I was not only again disappointed but they were way more expensive, half the carto's were DOA it was a waste of about $30. I figured there had to be something better and started to research again.

Got some ego's assorted tanks and some okay juice by January was hardly smoking analogs

my march found better juice and was down to 1-2 analogs most days and by the end of march had upgraded to really good juice, a VTR and iclear 30s and aerotank followed.

Now waiting on some assorted RDA's new batteries, Nemesis mod and other fun stuff to keep me interested. haven't had any more analogs in a while and don't really have a desire to go back (tried one about a week ago took two puffs and tossed it, was that bad).

I now understand all kinds of things I didnt before, how nicotine is absorbed, how it causes throat hit from different PV's, how coils work and are built, how batteries need to work in a mod, Ohm's law, resistance, volts, watts ... lol Still so much to learn though.

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
Had been considering e-cigs for some time. About a month ago I was driving by a local shopping center and decided to stop into a relatively new E-Cig store. Started talking to the guy running the shop who let me try a one with a few different liquids. Got to the price part and found that I could get the set up for about what I was paying for a box of cigars (had been smoking cigars for about 12 years). Got a Kanger set up and took it home. Used it for a couple days while still smoking a couple of the cigars a day (had been smoking about 10 Swisher Sweets, the smaller ones, per day). By the third day I was not smoking cigars at all, just vaping. On the fifth day, I picked up a cigar and lit it. Took about 3 draws, got a headache and decided it tasted like .....! Haven't had one since.
I have picked up a VV battery and a new clearomizer. Now looking at mods (looks like I will probably go with a Vamo unless someone can talk me out of it!).
Really enjoy the information and recommendations available here.

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Started with a Pigomizer out of curiousity, moved on to Ego's for the common 510 threading once I learned about that here on ECF.
    Explored a lot of different options and have basically settled with Ego's, ZMax, and a couple of Mech's, current favorite delivery device's would be RDA's (Eternity's) and IBTank's carto/tanks.

Love the ECF community!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2009
    Willamette Valley, PNW
    Cigarette tax hike in 2008/9 along with getting winded walking up stairs led me to the NJoy King early 2009.
    ECF followed along with 901's 801's 510's cartos, blue foam and, and, and.....

Today I'm dripping with an Igo-L and finding my comfort zone with carto tanks. No longer get winded on stairs or steep hills.

Still losing hair off my noggin, vaping is grand but it doesn't work miracles (-:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread