So here's where I'm at now... not ready to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks but I might be switching to SNUS there is some hope in my tobacco obsession...

In the army there are times we must observe something called light discipline (no bic lighers, matches or glowing cigarette tips)... I would chew Copenhagen to try and cope... I got the nicotine, but it wasn’t cigarettes. Soon as I could I’d light one up even though I just finished half a tin of chew. It would make me sick from nicotine overload, but I still needed the cigarette. Same after I’d smoke a pipe or stoggie. Nicotine maybe somewhat addictive, but there is something special about cigarettes where no substitute will ever be the same. One day you’ll get to a point where you’re wearing a patch, chewing a plug, head swimming from too much nicotine and you’ll still be itching to light one up.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
you don't cut deals with the devil, that's the illusion the devil creates...you don't say I'll quit in 20 years from now..you will have made it a thousand fold more difficult to quit smoking..I doubt there is an ex-smoker born who doesn't wish he had never smoked the first cigarette,and I doubt there isn't a single smoker who doesn't wish they had quit decades ago. quit while you are ahead.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I sure wish I had quit earlier.

If you don't want to vape, Swedish snus is probably your best alternative but if you want to smoke cigarettes for the inhalation effect, well, nothing is going to help.

You could try WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid) juices they contain many of the alkaloids found in cigarettes, without the dangers of smoking.

With that said, if you don't want to quit, why not just smoke, as you have repeatedly said you wanted to do? Snus, vaping (hopefully) and WTA will all be available then... Hopefully. That's the thing. If you think you will EVER want to vape, I'd suggest trying it now, before FDA rules and more taxation kicks in, causing you even LESS incentive to vape.

You know you aren't going to feel better about your smoking habit until you stop, right? That's actually what helps. Just saying vaping reeks and then snus sucks isn't going to make you feel better about you habit. Nothing will. You're not an idiot, you are just seeking justifications to smoke.

If you are a grown adult, you don't need to let us "give you permission" to smoke. That is totally your choice. If you feel you EVER want to vape, now is actually the best time to do it in terms of variety, options and price. Vaping is only going to get harder if you ask me which is why I have a mess of supplies and stored nicotine base in my freezer, and etc.

I don't justify my smoking habit anymore, I apologize for it.

Do what you will....

Anna

Last edited:
Reading this thread has terrified me! People get lung cancer at 32? I'm in my mid 30's. What if I've left it too late? What if I've already smoked the 'cig of no return'? I feel like I'm doomed.

The worst part is, the anxiety about it is making me want a smoke! Oh gawd.
I guess some people fear death while I, on the other hand do not! If you WERE that fearful of death and how you MIGHT DIE or be diagnosed? Why did you start smoking and then continue to do so? I'm not being a wise guy, just asking a question. I almost died in a car accident whereas I wasn't driving and I realized you could be the very best health wise and tomorrow is still uncertain. The good thing you have going for you is that lungs do repair themselves as long as permanent damage isn't done to them.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Let's not forget that one can't look at drug or drug-like substances in a vacuum, there's a human using it so there's always more to it. Users will build habits and experiences around it and this will program parts of your brain, the more the habits repeat the more the programming sticks. Like a morning coffee or a cigarette after dinner or while waiting for the bus. Like "that one time we were on that beach, smoked and had deep conversations about the universe and everything, I can still remember the smells and the sounds". That's true if it's ......., caffeine or nicotine. And that's why "cold turkey" methods have the worst track record of any quitting method. If you have nothing to replace the programming with you'll have a little demon on your shoulder for a very long time.

Vaping offers to kick the smoke without having to change the programming much, in my opinion that is exactly why it works so much better than other nic replacement methods. Vaping is quitting the combustion products, not the habits.

I was able to switch to vaping from one day to the other and didn't smoke a single fibre of tobacco since. Not that I expect everybody to be able to do the same or think any less of them if they can't. Addiction is rather complicated and very personal so every additional option for those who want to at least reduce harming themselves is a good thing.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I guess some people fear death while I, on the other hand do not! If you WERE that fearful of death and how you MIGHT DIE or be diagnosed? Why did you start smoking and then continue to do so? I'm not being a wise guy, just asking a question. I almost died in a car accident whereas I wasn't driving and I realized you could be the very best health wise and tomorrow is still uncertain. The good thing you have going for you is that lungs do repair themselves as long as permanent damage isn't done to them.

I'm not sure how to answer that. It's addictive I guess. I was 13yo when I started. No amount of negativity or shaming about smoking will make someone quit. The reason I tried vaping is because of the positivity around it. People would talk about all the different flavours they enjoyed, how they didn't have that lingering smell of smoke in their houses anymore and they seemed to really enjoy it. It made me excited to try it.

I have a diagnosis of anxiety so I probably overreact to these things but hearing negative stuff about vaping is really off-putting. I already have to deal with my family/friends who seem more suspicious about ecigs than the real thing (they all smoke).

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
No, I'm just trying to feel better about my tobacco habit...
You’ll find lots of indifference to your tobacco habit here, but not much support. You’re a big boy, you get to make your own choices, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread