The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So here's where I'm at now... not ready to quit

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nicotineisbomb, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    As long as I never have to say something is 'dope'.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  3. nicotineisbomb

nicotineisbomb Senior Member

Nov 24, 2017
    F
    Funny that you mention that, all the 14 year olds in my town call vaping "dope" when they actually don't need it, which makes me mad. I smoke cigarettes and I'm about the only one left in my age group because everyone else is scared of the health risks, looks like I can be called the lone ranger now...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Lone ranger? Ummmm....ok, we'll go with Lone Ranger. Although, there might be a few more accurate descriptions..... Lone Ranger it is. :blink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Sounds like you have some pretty smart friends.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Just Me

Just Me Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    Best wishes with your choice, bro.

• Like Like x 3
  7. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If everyone around you, your Family, your Friends, your Co-Works, People on an e-Cigarette Form, even the 14 year olds who say things are 'Dope', are telling you the Same Thing, the chances of them ALL being Wrong is about Zilch.

Just say'n.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. nicotineisbomb

nicotineisbomb Senior Member

Nov 24, 2017
    I know cigarettes are bad for my health, but if I enjoy them then so be it right? I mean, you can die anyday from anything.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Now who does he remind us of?????

Nic,
    Just why are you here? Are you that bored?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Your Rationalizing. Stop It. If you want to Smoke, Smoke.

But for God's sake, put on your Big Boy Pants and quit looking for something or someone to Validate your Rationalizations.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    outahere-Decaprio.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 90VG

90VG Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2016
    5000' in Nevada
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Yes, you can die from anything. The current front runner is dying from boredom with this thread and your drivel.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    No, you can't die anytime from anything. Ask several unsuccessful suicides about that, and you will realize dying is actually a lot harder than you think. You don't get to use the null hypothesis to prove that smoking is safe.

We all die one day is quite a different proposition than smoking will eventually lead to horrible health problems and kill me slowly, with suffering over time. While we all die one day, we actually do have some choices about the manner and type of one's death.

I will say this, my dad quit and for YEARS afterward he'd want to smoke on a plane, as he was a nervous flyer, and would think, "This may be my last opportunity to smoke." The difference being, he didn't smoke.

Until he took it up again in retirement, and had a heart attack and quit again then.

I simply don't accept "We can die at any time" as a rationalization not to smoke. At your age, unless you are doing other bad stuff for your health, the likelihood of your sudden death is pretty low, sometimes even if you work at it.

I know plenty of people who WISHED they had died, though, before halting their addiction (to whatever). Might want to reconsider.

With that said, smoke all you want, just state openly that you want to smoke, so you are going to do it. That would actually be the accurate statement.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    It is obvious your main goal is to ignore sound advice & medical fact.

No one needs another guinea pig to validate the dangers & results of smoking, no one here can stop you,
    get on down with your bad self.

Kinda hard to understand why you'd waste your time on a vaping forum, bored?, too much time on your hands?, looking for some validation?

Get a job or two, move out, pay your own way in life, be sure to get & maintain really good health insurance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. vapdivrr

vapdivrr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    But you will suffer greatly first, and it will slow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  17. dom qp

dom qp Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Momma' neva ain't raise no quitter.

In all honesty, lad, what you're saying makes no sense at all.

Sounds like you're not vaping because you think it can also kill you. Meanwhile cigarettes are the cause for tightness and shortness of breath.

If both are going to kill you, why would you pick the one that will cause you physical distress?

I think the key component most of us are missing in this discussion is that you're still very much a kid. We expect adults to be logical and have a certain level of understanding as to the importance of long term habits. You're not there yet, and you won't be until you've lived life.

Wait until you've been in the position where seeing your parents grow old and ill you realize you'll need to be in good health to take care of them. Wait until you've seen the look of worry on your spouse's face after you've coughed up a lung; even more if you have kids together. Wait until an expensive habit is keeping you from going on vacation, saving for retirement, or getting the materials you need to finish a home reno. Wait until you walk into the office and notice the disgust in the faces of your coworkers as they smell the ash coming off your jacket and hands.

There are a lot of reasons to not smoke cigarettes that aren't obvious to you right now. If you want to smoke cigarettes go ahead, just don't be too proud to admit you were wrong when the time comes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    This is gonna be the first time I've ever said this to a teenager.

Do what your friends are doing.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SgtDubie

SgtDubie Full Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Lake Francis, Mb, Can
    After high school I joined the army and stayed for sixteen years. I spent over a decade and a half doing things that would put me at significant risk of dying at at any moment, including extremely dangerous job related activities, several unhealthy lifestyle choices such as excessive drinking, getting into fights and increasing the pack a day habit I picked up in sixth grade to a two pack a day habit. Point is I’m still here and mostly in one piece aside from some joints in poor condition for my age, a few broken teeth, hearing aids and a 24/7 tinnitus problem...

Still, I’ve known from a very young age smoking was stupid, was destroying my body and I needed to stop. The only problem is, I never could or at least didn’t really want to... sure, at first it seemed like I could put them down any time... by high school I would risk shoplifting cigarettes when the jerk at the gas station wouldn’t sell to minors... sometimes I’d be sitting around after smoking the last cigarette and unable to get into town for more until morning, knowing how disgusting and low it was, mining my ashtrays for butts with one or two puffs left in them. Don’t say you wouldn’t go there, the addiction creeps up on you.

If it wasn’t for vaping and a several years of duel using and cutting back, I wouldn’t have been able to smoke my last cigarette the day my son was born and say to myself ‘you know what? I’m just not going to buy another pack’. I haven’t missed them much and my boy won’t grow up in a house and car constantly being filled with cigarette smoke like I did.

So, if your going to smoke, smoke. You are a big boy and no one can stop you. But don’t kid yourself. You are probably not going to ‘die anytime’ no matter how hard you try, short of skydiving without a parachute or maybe testing how bulletproof your skull is with your .45. And even if you do, it’ll likely be a quicker and less miserable death than rotting away for years until your heart and lungs finally wear out. The longer you smoke, the more it’ll become a part of who you are and the harder it’ll be to quit.

Touching on the part of who you are thing, I think that is he hardest hurdle, at least in my mind. It becomes so ingrained into your personality that quitting seems to be denying who you are down to the very core... but after 25 years of being a heavy smoker and now not smoking, I feel much better then I ever remember before. I do have an unfortunate 6ml+ a day sub-ohm vaping habit I have no immediate intention of giving up... though funny thing is I don’t seem to crave a vape the same way I did cigarettes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ripply

Ripply Full Member

Jan 27, 2018
    U.K.
    Reading this thread has terrified me! People get lung cancer at 32? I'm in my mid 30's. What if I've left it too late? What if I've already smoked the 'cig of no return'? I feel like I'm doomed.

The worst part is, the anxiety about it is making me want a smoke! Oh gawd.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.