Which Coils do I need.....help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends,
My cheap e-pen came and I'm in love with vaping.:wub: Hubby is letting me order Kroma A Mod with Zenith Tank Starter Kit by Innokin I want to buy extra coils while I can but I'm clueless. This goes to the Innokin coils, I assume I need to use their brand. Innokin I hate paying for shipping so I have to do some add-ons that I will need anyway so I best get the right stuff. :w00t: If there is anything else I need please let me know. Oh, I'm not sure if this has a replaceable battery or not, if so what one do I need. LOL yes I'm excited. Thanks bunches.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Kroma A battery mod uses a non-removable internal battery. The charger is built into the mod and will come with a micro USB cord to charge it. If you don't have one, you may need to get a USB wall adaptor. It's not recommended to use the USB port on a computer to charge it.

I don't have the Zenith tank so I can't assist you on choosing which coils to get.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
More I'm looking I'm thinking I'll go with an extra tank that comes with coils that way I'm killing two birds one stone. I can have two different flavors loaded depending which I'm in the mood for.
If you like the draw on pen the 1.6 or .8 coils will both work for you. The 1.6 coils draw is slightly tighter. Good to hear you're having a good vaping experience.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You need the Innokin Zenith replacement coils, yes, using authentic Innokin zenith replacements is your best bet.
They come in a box of 5 individual ‘coils’ in either 1.6Ω or .8Ω.

I like them both with a slight edge going to the 1.6Ω.
I’d suggest trying both resistances, you never know which you’ll like best until you try them.

The .8Ω will provide slightly warmer vapor, slightly more vapor, use slightly more liquid and slightly reduce between recharge cycle battery life (vape time) at their recommended power ranges.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
a bit off topic, sorry can't really help much as i've not used this but I know from listening to phil talk about the zenith, I like that the coil itself is the 510 connector, so everytime you change the coil you're getting a new 510 connection (that's kind of nice)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If you don't have one, you may need to get a USB wall adaptor. It's not recommended to use the USB port on a computer to charge it.

May I inquire why? USB off a computer is 0.5 amps max. Will take forever to charge but will be your safest USB solution. Wall wart chargers can range from 0.5 amps to as high as 5 amps which the later is scary dangerous. 2 amps is the usual norm nowadays for phone chargers, and even those should be carefully monitored to see if their device is heating up. Not something I would recommend. Personally, I would not use anything over 1 amp on any vape internal battery device and without confirming how hot the device is getting.

When I see a USB socket for the intent of charging, should the unit not come with a dedicated charger I automatically assume the device should be charged through a 0.5 amp USB output of a computer, which is the standard spec for USB 2.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
These are the coils you will want for the Zenith tank: Zenith Replacement Coils Kanthal - 5-Pack

You have to choose either 0.8 ohms or 1.6 ohms; the kit will come with one of each so you can try them both and pick your favorite but if you're buying extras at the same time, you won't know which you like until they get there.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The charging circuit is (or should be, from an engineering standpoint) limiting the current, not the wall power supply. In theory it doesn't matter if it can supply 200A if the charging circuit only pulls 1A. The other way round is worse, if your wall adapter can supply 0.5A but your circuit draws 5A, the cheap wall adapters usually don't limit current (which a charging circuit is naturally able to, otherwise how would it do CC-CV).
As witnessed by smartypants who connected their cordless drill to a 12V 2A wall power supply when their batteries ran low and started drilling...

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The charging circuit is (or should be, from an engineering standpoint) limiting the current, not the wall power supply. In theory it doesn't matter if it can supply 200A if the charging circuit only pulls 1A. The other way round is worse, if your wall adapter can supply 0.5A but your circuit draws 5A, the cheap wall adapters usually don't limit current (which a charging circuit is naturally able to, otherwise how would it do CC-CV).
As witnessed by smartypants who connected their cordless drill to a 12V 2A wall power supply when their batteries ran low and started drilling...

In theory there should be a charging circuit, and if there is, how much do we trust it? Pre iPhone 8 that is rated for 1 amp charging will heat up when plugged into a Samsung 2 amp wall wart. I’ve experienced a mod that claims 2 amp quick charging heat up to scary levels when connected to a 2 amp charger. Circuits can get overloaded just as easy as a battery.

Mooch has provided a table of max charging rates for many popular cells as stated by the manufactures specs. We are not privy to this information with an internal battery. So again, if a device employs a USB port for the purpose of charging, but with no dedicated charger then it should comply to the USB spec of 5 volts, 0.5 amps. Phone chargers are made specific for that phone and even those manufactures do not recommended using a competitors charger – especially one that has a higher output.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
how much do we trust it?
With an internal battery there's not much choice. That's why I personally don't buy them and rather charge in an external charger that has the power supply built in.
Pre iPhone 8 that is rated for 1 amp charging will heat up when plugged into a Samsung 2 amp wall wart
That's a whole other can of worms ("smart" chargers), that's why, as you pointed out, manufacturers don't recommend competitor's chargers.

With vape devices we don't know if and how the device talks to the power supply, so a device that wants to charge with 2A could very well start to draw that from a 0.5A craptacular power supply. With those numbers that may work (if the power supply isn't really really crappy) but in the near future, with newer batteries, there may be much higher currents drawn and a 0.5A power supply will go up in smoke in a jiffy. That makes me uncomfortable with recommending underbuilt power supplies. Imo it shouldn't be generally accepted as good practice.
but with no dedicated charger then it should comply to the USB spec of 5 volts, 0.5 amps
That goes right back to your trust question - can we trust vape devices with compliance? Paired with some random 3rd party wall adapter bought from a guy at a red light?

There's certainly some work cut out for the vape industry...

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Sorry, don’t see how that is so. Batteries are going to draw, assuming no regulated circuit is involved, based on their voltage. USB off a computer is 2.5 watts total (volts x current). Current draw from a battery at 3 volts, which is around your usual cut off, would only be 0.8 amps (2.5w/3v). Your average computer should be able to handle that providing its USB hub(s) was not loaded down with other peripherals - and if the later was the case, the hub will just start cutting off USB ports. If your PSU was that poor that could not handle that type of load, you would not be able to boot.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I wasn't talking about a computer's USB (the biggest failure I've ever seen there was a fuse not resetting if there was a short in a connected device) but about the wall adapters most people are using. Most of those don't have a fuse or any plan for over current, they fail by going up in smoke.
I wasn't arguing against charging from a computer but against using underbuilt wall adapters (like lackluster 2A charging circuit on a 0.5A wall adapter).

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Oh ok. My original post in this thread was about charging off a computer so I made assumptions. :cool:

@GreenFuzzer – I know this conversation is not based on coils but hopefully you got something out of it. When charging your device, be it off a computer or your phone charger, keep a close eye on it – if it starts getting hot, stop charging immediately. Enjoy the new Kroma! :thumb:

Reactions: untar

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Also make sure that your USB ports are free of lint, dust and corrosion, on both ends.
Luckily most vape device USBs are so flimsy they break before it comes to that stage
4Head.png

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My point of not using a computer port was what @untar explained. And also should a short or other "failure" occur (it happens), the power device will likely fry as well as the charger in the mod. A wall wort is cheaper to replace than a computer. Get my drift?

Not to be a fear mongerer, but short circuits occuring when charging internal LiPo batteries can be quite dramatic.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
And why did that device fail within that video? Possible device failure or user neglect by plugging into a wall charger that was over rated for the device? We will never know cause that info was never shared and I doubt it will ever be.

If a short circuit happens we have absolutely no control over it. Our family cottage burnt to the ground due to a short circuit – no mod, computer or cell phone charger was involved. My point was not to mitigate damage caused from a short circuit, but to mitigate a short circuit from using a charger that is over rated for the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread