Which Pod system to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorekl

Apr 23, 2020
Hey guys. So, I'm a current pod system smoker, and I've been using a smok nord as my actual pod system, but with so many new ones on the market, I'm looking forward to acquire a new one. I've seen many reviews and lists about new pod systems and am in doubt of which one to buy. So far, my picks are the smok Nord 2, Lost Orion Plus or Smok RP80.
I like pods with loose airflow, to make big clouds and feel the nicsalt taste. I currently use a 0.6ohm mesh coil and do like it. Just feels like it run off too quick sometimes, I might use a wrong pg/vg proportion sometimes but always try to use as close to 50/50.
Let me know your experiences and what you think!
Thanks.

Reactions: stols001

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
i'm leaning strongly toward the Vaporesso Target PM80-SE. Mostly because it uses a separate battery, also because of it's design.
Based on reviews of the original PM80, both it or the SE should give you the airflow you like. According to the product website, there are compatible coils with Ohms both lower & higher than the .6 you're using, so you could go for big clouds or more battery life between charges.

FIRST: I have 3 PM80's and two of them died within 2 months of use. Won't power on unless charge cable is plugged in and turns off when charge cable is unplugged. Won't retain settings. Love the design and the vapes, clouds are good.
Second: Leaks! All 3 leak into the well. Looks to me like it's leaking from the coil rubber grommet. Each tank refill requires mopping up the leaked juice. This may also be the cause of trouble retainng settings & power on since the leaks could be seeping into the sealed electronics chamber.
Vaporesso support has yet to respond.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
FIRST: I have 3 PM80's and two of them died within 2 months of use. Won't power on unless charge cable is plugged in and turns off when charge cable is unplugged. Won't retain settings. Love the design and the vapes, clouds are good.
Second: Leaks! All 3 leak into the well. Looks to me like it's leaking from the coil rubber grommet. Each tank refill requires mopping up the leaked juice. This may also be the cause of trouble retainng settings & power on since the leaks could be seeping into the sealed electronics chamber.
Vaporesso support has yet to respond.
Thank you for that information! Now I'm rethinking my choice. I did a little checking and leaking is clearly a problem with the PM80 for many people. This video shows how to prevent it:

It basically comes down to making sure the coil and the fill port cap are inserted just right, and that the coil's rubber grommet is in good shape, which you identified.
Even if being careful about those things, though, the bottom filling of it seems difficult, and the SE version looks like it will use the same pods. :(

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
For me, the thing about the pod mods is that they're cheap, so they act like it.
Right now, I'm enjoying voopoo, and the Air is good and light and tasty.
No leaks with it. Its big brother, the X, has the same positives, but occasionaly leaks from the bottom of the coil. Not sure why one does and the other doesn't.

Lorekl

Apr 23, 2020
Hey guys. So, I'm a current pod system smoker, and I've been using a smok nord as my actual pod system, but with so many new ones on the market, I'm looking forward to acquire a new one. I've seen many reviews and lists about new pod systems and am in doubt of which one to buy. So far, my picks are the Smok Nord 2, Lost Orion Plus or Smok RPM80.
I like pods with loose airflow, to make big clouds and feel the nicsalt taste. I currently use a 0.6ohm mesh coil and do like it. Just feels like it run off too quick sometimes, I might use a wrong pg/vg proportion sometimes but always try to use as close to 50/50.
Thanks.

i'm leaning strongly toward the Vaporesso Target PM80-SE. Mostly because it uses a separate battery, also because of it's design.
Based on reviews of the original PM80, both it or the SE should give you the airflow you like. According to the product website, there are compatible coils with Ohms both lower & higher than the .6 you're using, so you could go for big clouds or more battery life between charges.

My advice to you is to lean in a different direction. I now have 3 PM80's. Two leaked so badly that juice got into the case and was till seeping out the following day. Of course those two PM80's showed the same defects, leaking juice; can't power up with fire button, would only power on with charge cable connected. I like the design and performance, when they work, but there are obvious QA issues. Vaporesso has not helped other than to refer me to a delaer. BTW, I have 3 other Vaporesso products, some for years, and they still work just fine.

Thank you for that information! Now I'm rethinking my choice. I did a little checking and leaking is clearly a problem with the PM80 for many people. This video shows how to prevent it:

It basically comes down to making sure the coil and the fill port cap are inserted just right, and that the coil's rubber grommet is in good shape, which you identified.
Even if being careful about those things, though, the bottom filling of it seems difficult, and the SE version looks like it will use the same pods. :(

Vaporesso_Chelsea

Good design, good performance, not worth much if it only lasts a few weeks. More like an overpriced disposable. Really disappointed, I own other Vaporesso devices that have worked great for years. So, how about letting me return the two that failed for your QA/Engineering folks to examine. I would consider a replacement of two PM80 SE only because of my prior experiences with very good products from Vaporesso.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hey guys. So, I'm a current pod system smoker, and I've been using a smok nord as my actual pod system, but with so many new ones on the market, I'm looking forward to acquire a new one. I've seen many reviews and lists about new pod systems and am in doubt of which one to buy. So far, my picks are the Smok Nord 2, Lost Orion Plus or Smok RP80.
Thanks.

I've been reseaching about the liquid I should mix for my girlfriend- I bought her the smok nord kit, and she currently vapes on 0.6 ohm coils. Majority of the sources I found suggested 60/40 and 70/30 VG/PG for that coil, so I mixed 2 liquids for her, one 60.5/39.5 and the other 65/35 VG/PG. Freebase nic, first 8mg second 11mg/ml. So far she's quite happy and vapor production from higher VG is also much better on that coil compared to 50/50 she started with (had to add some vg to her tank and mix well as she complained that 50/50 was too harsh).
That's the result of my research anyway, and I checked multiple sources. Maybe someone else here has more experience with that pod and can recmmend you a different ratio.
Oh and one more thing: few sources mentioned that they don't recommend nic salts for 0.6 ohm coil as far as I can recall, not sure why though.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Oh and one more thing: few sources mentioned that they don't recommend nic salts for 0.6 ohm coil as far as I can recall, not sure why though.
They say that based on assumptions from a few years ago. Originally, most devices used coils with ohms greater than 1, and were used for mtl. Several years ago, dtl took over in popularity, and used much lower ohm coils- generally far less than 1 ohm (hence the term sub-ohm). Of course, dtl also generally uses higher wattages, and each hit consumes far more eliquid. Whereas it was common for mtl'ers to use 12-24mg nic, dtl'ers commonly use 3-6mg nic.

Nic salts gained popularity because pod systems delivered very little vapor, and had a hard time delivering enough nic without harshness. Salts are much smoother, so pod makers could increase nic up to 50mg to compensate. When they tell you not to use salts with sub-ohm coils, they're assuming that because you're using salts, you're using high nic....and that you're doing dtl.

All of those lines are blurred now. For instance, I do mtl, but prefer 0.58 ohm coils in my rta's. I don't use salts because 14mg freebase satisfies me. However, for my pods, I do use salts around 30mg, because they deliver a smaller hit. Some that do dtl also use salts, because they want the flavor with little or no throat hit.

Anyway, your mod, atty, coils, equipment don't know or care whether you're using salts or not. The key is to have enough nic to satisfy you, balanced with how big your hits are, how you vape, and how much you vape.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
They say that based on assumptions from a few years ago. Originally, most devices used coils with ohms greater than 1, and were used for mtl. Several years ago, dtl took over in popularity, and used much lower ohm coils- generally far less than 1 ohm (hence the term sub-ohm). Of course, dtl also generally uses higher wattages, and each hit consumes far more eliquid. Whereas it was common for mtl'ers to use 12-24mg nic, dtl'ers commonly use 3-6mg nic.

Nic salts gained popularity because pod systems delivered very little vapor, and had a hard time delivering enough nic without harshness. Salts are much smoother, so pod makers could increase nic up to 50mg to compensate. When they tell you not to use salts with sub-ohm coils, they're assuming that because you're using salts, you're using high nic....and that you're doing dtl.

All of those lines are blurred now. For instance, I do mtl, but prefer 0.58 ohm coils in my rta's. I don't use salts because 14mg freebase satisfies me. However, for my pods, I do use salts around 30mg, because they deliver a smaller hit. Some that do dtl also use salts, because they want the flavor with little or no throat hit.

Anyway, your mod, atty, coils, equipment don't know or care whether you're using salts or not. The key is to have enough nic to satisfy you, balanced with how big your hits are, how you vape, and how much you vape.

Thanks for the explanatory answer. What got me confused while I was researching the topic was a few people mentioning (I can't remember what site it was, or maybe it was in the comments under youtube videos) that nic salts are not good for sub-ohm because the temperature at which the vapor is created is too high. So that made me think that nic salts are probably unstable in high temp... but then I haven't seen it anywhere else, however there was more contradictory information, some sites said don't use nic salts for sub-ohm coils, then I saw few video's on youtube where guys were blasting 50mg nic salts on rda, then a tutorial where guy said to use only low nicotine nic salts for sub-ohm vaping. If you're completely fresh to nic salts and to vaping in general, it's all very confusing.

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
I would go with something that has rba option and external battery.

Educate yourself a bit more on nicotine and nicotine poisoning before believing in everything you see or read.

Stay safe.

That's one of the reasons why I'm here, if I believed everything I've read or saw on youtube I wouldn't be here asking more questions. Nothing beats experience and practice, and there are plenty of knowledgeable people down here. You can educate yourself for eternity but nothing is better than advice and guidance from someone who's been doing it for years and tested everything in real life scenario.
As to nicotine poisoning I doubt I could ever cause myself any serious harm through actual vaping, I just feel when I had enough and neither myself or my gf use crazy strengths in the liquids. The main danger for myself that I see is spilling the nic base (7.2%) on my skin when I mix my liquids. Or get a splashback into my eye. But I wear gloves + glasses and have experience in lab experiments and safety so I think I'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread