Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Reading a number of different threads over the last few days it really seems like many vapers tend towards one of 2 approaches to vaping, gear, juice etc.

The first is the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. These are the people who have found what works for them and will stick with it no matter what. No upgading gear just stay with what has worked.

The second camp can best be described in the words f the TV Character Red Green "If it isn't broke you are not trying." These are the fiddlers, the tweakers, the gotta have the new thing folks. Always ion search of the next vape pinnacle.

I thought it might be fun if we discuss which we are closer to and why.

For myself:
I tend to shift between the 2 groups. When I first started vaping it was constantly trying to find what works for me. So I was in the not trying camp.

Now I know what works for me RDA and dripping so I have a tendency to say nothing to fix here move along.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Camp 3. There is nothing to "upgrade" to from what I have... and there hasn't been for quite some time.

On 4/28 of 2012, I bought a REO VV Woodville. I use attys on it that I like. That was it. I haven't bought anything since then because I have seen not one thing that I consider to be an upgrade. An upgrade does not exist.

VV_REO_W.jpg

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
I like the Kiss principle. I started simple (808 cig-alikes), learned some more, upgraded to a Provari. Still simple, not thinking of upgrading that device but a REO will probably be in my future as a different type of device. Trying my hand at DIY blending...learning from the forums and eventually it will also be 'simple'. Thinking of rebuildables..confused right now but once I give it a shot it will also become simple. I'm not chasing the unattainable "perfect" just looking for something to be content with!

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    A little of both actually.
    I've known what I like for quite some time, and trust me it ain't going away in favor of the latest & greatest. That said I always try to keep up with new trends, and how they progress.

To be honest, my observation is that 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'. I think it's ironic that as new ways to vape come along they eventually go full circle ending up vaping the same as what we have always used. Even wild & crazy RDA's that use to only work on a wild & crazy mechanical PV now work better on a VV PV with a normal resistance micro coil instead of a sub ohm coils.

So you're right, nothing to fix here either ..... except that I now know that I can do the same thing several different ways. Makes it kinda nice not having to worry about something being out of stock, or no longer made, because there are alternatives that work just as well.

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Camp 3. There is nothing to "upgrade" to from what I have... and there hasn't been for quite some time.

On 4/28 of 2012, I bought a REO VV Woodville. I use attys on it that I like. That was it. I haven't bought anything since then because I have seen not one thing that I consider to be an upgrade. An upgrade does not exist.

View attachment 257905

But that is still camp 1. You found your optimal vape and are sticking with it. ;)

Paul.K

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    California
    I started out with camp #1. I just wanted my ego-t and a clearo and have a no fuss vape all day everyday. Now I have a pile of clearos, cartos and tanks that don't get used (leakers, cracked, fogged etc). Now using an RDA to drip at home and KFL, KF 3.1 on the go. Yup I'm a tinkerer and seems building coils/wicks is enough to satisfy my needs. Until the next great product comes out of course. :vapor:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    Definitely group 2. I've posted before that the OTHER reason I like vaping (and vaping gear) because I like to tinker with shiny things. I started out a bit over a month ago with two Ego C-Twists and two Kanger ProTank II's, and now I have an two RBA's, an RDA, and my first mech mod should hit my mailbox in another day or two.

I've also tried out cartomizers (they're now my backup, SMokTech lo res cartomizers sitting on my EGO C-twist) and am looking at one or two carto tanks to order and a carto punch.

Vaping is great, but it's definitely enhanced when I start fiddling with coils, wicks, and wire mesh.

Vaping, for me, pleases both the ex-smoker and the inner geek.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Group 1. With an open mind to different products if they fit my style.

I'm a simple vapor. I like things to be as simple and consistant as possible. KISS - keep it simple stupid. I prefer gear that works as advertised right out of the box, I don't feel that I should have to tinker with something for it to work properly.

I have found my ideal battery device. I have two Provari's. A standard size used mostly at home, and a Mini for out & about and for home. They are what I most desire in a APV: dependable, consistant, predictable, and durable. I have confidence that in the unlikely event that my Provari's might need servicing, Provape will always be there to repair them and return them good as new within a week. Having had a couple of Chinese-made mods fall apart within a few weeks and not having any recourse, I'll think thrice before purchasing another one.

IBTanked pyrex cartotanks have been my primary juice attachment for 1.5 years. Along with Ikenvape cartomizers, they provide the best consistant flavor i have found yet. They are not inconsistant or fussy like clearomizers or RBAs can be and don't require tinkering. They take a little longer than a clearo to set up, but they are worth it. Having said that, this past summer my daughter and myself auditioned several types of clearomizers for her first vaping setup. Our favorites were the Protank and iClear 30. I have been using a couple of iClear 30 clearomizers since and have found them to be only a notch below my cartotanks.

I do keep my eyes and mind open to new or different products. ECF friends encouraged me to try a Reo bottom feeder. I couldn't afford one, but did get a Vapage VMod bottom feeder mod. Although I do enjoy using it, I didn't care for the restriction of not being able to change flavors easily due to the tank being inside the mod. I have given RBAs an opportunity to impress me. When performing optimally, they are the best vape I've experienced. But they have been inconsistant and fussy, requiring tinkering to get them working again. Didn't I already say I don't like tinkering.

I've read with passive interest about the Diver and Killer submersable atomizers for tanks, but thus far I've not seen universal acceptance that they are worth their higher cost over cartomizers. Given some time these might improve enough and drop in price for me to invest in a couple.

AGA T2 on Provari's.jpg

Last edited:
    When i initially started, I promised myself i would buy an ego and thats it. I ended up buying a k100, loved it, got a pro tank and a RBA. Promised myself that would be it. Now I'm planning on getting a chi you and a zmax, even though the k100 works great. Im just curious as to how great the rest of the gear and juice is out there.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I am 100% in the stick with what works camp when it comes to juice delivery.
    But actually, it's really just the "I'm too lazy for any of that crap" camp.

If I have to tinker with something, I'd rather just throw it in the trash.

Dripping with standard 510 atomizers is the pinnacle of vaping for me, and has been for a long time now.
    And I don't see how anything will change that.

Now that I have maximized ease of use and consistency, I am shooting for the smallest variable voltage setup possible.
    So I guess I'm still open to new battery devices, like maybe the Little Sister instead of my Ego Twists.

I guess that actually makes me a hybrid of sorts.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    I guess I'm a bit of both. I really like my Buzz Pro VV and I even still use my eGos a bit. I mainly use Smoktech AROs but I'm ordering a RDA (IGO-L) tomorrow night as soon as I get paid. I've also thought about trying out some more glass clearos like the Davide, and the mini PT II. I also plan to get another VV mod but maybe not for another month or 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread