Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I think I am one of the few that prefers Nichrome. I get a harsher flavor with kanthal, though I have used it for over a year now. I switched to nichrome recently. I use both 30g and 32g. The thing is I find it easier to wrap and it does not want to spring back straight as much (plus it is easier to get now then kanthal due to demand). Also, it has a lower resistance per inch... So I use more coils to get to the resistance that is usable... 30g 5/6-7/8 wraps to get a 1.3-1.6Ω coil, and 32g 7/8 wrap will give me a 2Ω. I use the 32g on VV devices, and the 30g on mech or non-varivolt like the orion.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
been using 34g Nichrome 80 for the longest time and had no issue. Started using some 32g Kanthal A-1 for a couple reasons, I started preferring lower resistance (the 32g part) and I was curious to see what all the hype was about regarding "A-1".....

I'm not sure I could honestly tell you a real difference. Maybe......and I mean a slight maybe my old nichrome had a weirder taste during break in whereas the A-1 seems to be clean tasting right from the start......most of this is related to wire prep tho.

If yer super sensitive to taste it might bug you, I've heard others say the exact opposite from me....:confused:

My final thought: wire is wire, just get something and vape it:p......I firmly believe that what wire you use isn't even remotely as important in terms of performance as properly oxidizing a wick......

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
You know, I voted for Kanthal originally, but i'm thinking it's gotta be nichrome now. I've discovered it can be strange to wrap at first but it actually holds shape better for me, and also I gotta agree with JollyRogers. The reason I hadn't been using my DUD much lately is it got to the point that between hotspots and the harsh throat hit I was getting it was very off puting. Now that I got a nichrome coil setup nicely, it is very smooth to use and I can actually enjoy it again, because no matter what I did (aside from turning my PV's down to like 3.3volts or like 6 watts which obviously would be in NO way satisfying) I couldn't get rid of that harsh, burnt taste. Now it's rockin' solid!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Dang - I am only one that ordered 33 A1 Kanthal - does it even exist? Was this a bad buy? Is it not good for coils? HELP

Check the sticky at the top of this forum. According to that, you should have the equivalent to 34 gauge nichrome 80 (what I use,) and it should work just fine for most things. I find it to be just fine for vivi nova heads.

One can go with a lower gauge on devices that have more room for the coil. Lower gauge will require more turns in the coil to get the same resistance.

For really tight spots, one may want a higher gauge, which would require less turns to get the same resistance.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Torched 32 awg nichrome, 6 turn, 2.0 ohm coil formed around my 2mm philips screwdriver threaded with twisted cotton ball wick placed in my $10 phoenix klone imbued with 0 nic 70/30 PG/VG DIY peanut butter cup on my 3.7v Prodigy... whew!

Vapes great, tastes great, and -after the clouds part- looks badass (the setup, that is)!

@damthisisfun: You should be just fine, that's good wire right thar! ;)

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
For really tight spots, one may want a higher gauge, which would require less turns to get the same resistance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. I just got a vivi nova - havent even tried it yet. I mostly use CE5s which I was going to try and rebuild this weekend. Was also thinking of getting some CE3 bottom coils - some folks rate em as great. I have a couple of 1100 mah Kgos and a 3-6 volt YJ mod. Hope I bought the right gauge - but then again it is pretty cheap I could get 32 and 34 - any suggestions for these clearos?

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
33awg will be just fine. If you find that you can't fit enough twists in the space to get the Ohms you want you can always go up to 34 or higher. The higher the number the smaller diameter the wire and the higher the resistance per length of wire. The caveat is that the smaller the wire the more fragile it is and the faster it will burn out. So you have to decide what is more important to you coil life or a Ohm preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread