Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I always build with Clapton wire, I make my own 26g kanthol wrapped with 34-36g nichrome, I wrap enough wire for 3 sets of coils, wrap them up and put them in a little baggie, honestly I change my coils once every 2 months, when I need to rework (with rayon) about once every week to week and a half I just burn the coils off and “strum” them like a guitar wire across the coil with some tweezers while there hot.

I had an old ECF veteran have me try the rayon when I was getting dry hits with cotton pads, cotton bacon, and just about every other kind of cotton I could get my hands on, first wicking with rayon and have never had a problem again, i still have the organic cotton pads and cotton bacon I’m my rebuild kit all these years later lol never to be used again, when building with the rayon I just have a feel for the thickness I need and just pull off some until I feel it’s right, pull through the coil with a small amount of resistance and trim the ends about 3/8” on either end and tuck the ends under, never have a problem whatsoever. But like others have said, try a few options and go with what you like and works for you, after all it’s only about your preference nobody else’s!

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
Little progression. Second wick collapses a bit once I start to adjust it, but I guess perfection comes with time.

How does the the cotton look?
Looks good! Although I’ve learned never to go by look lol fire it up and see how it vapes!

Reactions: stols001

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
Looks good! Although I’ve learned never to go by look lol fire it up and see how it vapes!
Yup :D Gotta wait that a 26g wire arrives. As a noobie I had no idea what to use. So :D The wire on that pic is basically useless if I understood, according to my setup. Useless for lighting it up, useful for practising.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not a cotton person so I can't give you pointers on how it may VAPE but I can tell you that looks about five hundred times better than my wicking attempts with cotton, so I'd imagine it's gonna vape pretty great, also you appear to have found your hidden ECF superpower, building and wicking.

Mine is DIY and I keep reminding myself of that when I'm dealing with a new rebuildable. LOL.

Anna

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017
Never said anything about building fancy coils, thats why i posted a link for awesome premades.

Ive only been vaping for 10 months, which is long enough to realize that clapton/framed staple whatevers last waaay longer and produce a better quality vapor.

If you have enough free time and patience to mess around with building simple coils when there are much better alternatives thats fine but i would never reccomed that to someone just starting out..

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Never said anything about building fancy coils, thats why i posted a link for awesome premades.

Ive only been vaping for 10 months, which is long enough to realize that clapton/framed staple whatevers last waaay longer and produce a better quality vapor.

If you have enough free time and patience to mess around with building simple coils when there are much better alternatives thats fine but i would never reccomed that to someone just starting out..
That's actually a pretty hilarious post. Thank you.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I’ve been looking at premade wire, I make my own regular Clapton’s but I’m looking at those spoils of premade alien wire and stapled Clapton’s etc. I may pick up a few rolls to try them out but...

Basically wire wise when I first started I was making regular old coils with 26 and 24g kanthol, i feel I get more flavor from the Clapton’s so there in all my rda’s But in tanks I only use single wire coils

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018

We'll see. As I started to play around I realized that my gut feeling was right, when it comes to building coils. I like to get my hands and mind on something. It has been always a way of relaxation to me. It has the "same feeling" as you roll a cigarette versus pull out a one from pack. Some sort of ritual type of thing that makes my mind calm. But as I said, we'll see. Right now, Im not that legit to say what is the best option for me, as I lack experience, but I will keep my mind open for different options.

And I do appreciate your information, gotta try those prebuilds aswell.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I don't know if anyone else mentioned this or not but there were a lot of leaking problems with the kylin when it came out. Mine was horrible. If you want a good rta that doesn't leak then I'd take a look at a geekvape zeus or an augvape intake.

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
    I don't know if anyone else mentioned this or not but there were a lot of leaking problems with the kylin when it came out. Mine was horrible. If you want a good rta that doesn't leak then I'd take a look at a geekvape zeus or an augvape intake.
    Read about those too but heard lot of good aswell. So I decided to give it a try as I drowned in the middle of all these tanks and options. Kylin somehow popped out. I don't know why the glass cannot be a "screw it on its place" type of thing but, we'll see. As I will probably vape only at home with it, little leak shouldn't be big of a problem. Hopefully, it won't leak, atleast alot. Gotta give it a try and switch it on to something if doesn't satisfy.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    Solid info. Thank you. Will buy 26g + Need to try what wattage fits the best.
    Once you get more confident in building coils think about making that 26 gauge into a clapton. Super easy to make and well worth the time wrapping the wire. The mod registers the core wire but the wraps are juice channels. Its a more substantial vape compared to a single wire build. 26/34 clapton, you can also use 36 or 38 gauge but they are finicky and don't take much to break in mid flight...34 is best to use . Read up on rayon and its vaping qualities compared to cotton. Once you get tired of sitting down every couple days to rewick cotton you'll maybe give rayon a go then realize a easy week+ is normal for rayon builds.
    A good clapton build is mighty thirsty and buying juice can become expensive.

• Useful

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
    Once you get more confident in building coils think about making that 26 gauge into a clapton. Super easy to make and well worth the time wrapping the wire. The mod registers the core wire but the wraps are juice channels. Its a more substantial vape compared to a single wire build. 26/34 clapton, you can also use 36 or 38 gauge but they are finicky and don't take much to break in mid flight...34 is best to use . Read up on rayon and its vaping qualities compared to cotton. Once you get tired of sitting down every couple days to rewick cotton you'll maybe give rayon a go then realize a easy week+ is normal for rayon builds.
    A good clapton build is mighty thirsty and buying juice can become expensive.
    Great post. I will. 26ga works great as a dual with 7-8 wraps each. Happy about that. I tried actually find some rayon but I will probably have to order it from ebay. Anyways, thanks for the post. Another solid package of info.

rookiedaboogie

Aug 7, 2018
    Greetings from island! It's a bit cloudy here but as we vapers know, that's not a bad thing.

Thanks again to everybody who helped me out. The setup works great, taste is great, clouds fills up the horizon once blown out. No complains. (Atleast now on :D) No leaking, cotton seems to wick well. 26ga lights up smoothly. Hakuna matata. Life's good.

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_083116.jpg
      IMG_20180816_083116.jpg
      3.5 MB · Views: 11
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread