Who doesn't clean their atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

playerags

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Brussels, Wisconsin
I have read several posts on here about people who clean their atomizers and they only average 2 weeks before they die.
I have never cleaned my atomizer and it's been going about six weeks. Still works well.
I would like to know if their are other people out there who don't maintain their attys and how long they last .

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
My first e-cig was an njoy npro and I cleaned it once with my Shark steamer. I used it everyday until I got my DSE901 which was probably for 2 1/2 months and it still works fine. I have never cleaned the atty on the 901 and have used it everyday for about 2 months and it works fine too. I probably don't vape as much as some others do since I still smoke, I would guess I use it the equivalent of 10 cigs a day? (I hope I haven't jinxed my attys now!!)

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I have 901s, and I've tried cleaning every couple of days and not cleaning for extended periods - I haven't seen a difference.

I did have a couple that decreased in vapor that I soaked in acid - that helped bring them back. I think they gummed up from all the different juices I was trying. Since then, I've found my one or two favorite juices and stuck with them, no cleaning and my usual atomizer is still going strong weeks later.

I don't think cleaning does much, honestly - and I KNOW they can last a long time without it.

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
I have 901s, and I've tried cleaning every couple of days and not cleaning for extended periods - I haven't seen a difference.

I did have a couple that decreased in vapor that I soaked in acid - that helped bring them back. I think they gummed up from all the different juices I was trying. Since then, I've found my one or two favorite juices and stuck with them, no cleaning and my usual atomizer is still going strong weeks later.

I don't think cleaning does much, honestly - and I KNOW they can last a long time without it.

Wish that was the case with me MoonMan.
Tried everything to get them to work at full force like they do for about a day :( I use an ultra sound cleaning method for my contact lenses and was wondering if that might help.. Anyone tried this method?
All my Ats taste like burning metal after cleaning and give very poor vapor.
:evil: Im starting to remember how easy it was just to flick a lighter and inhale.
I use a Janty kissbox and a Janty Dura-c and Johnson Creek Smoke Juice. (or not as is often the case)

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
We are really trying to get to the bottom of how it is that some people have atomizers that last for months, some people swear it's because of their cleaning method but there are some who report atomizers lasting months with no cleaning at all.....it's a complete mystery. In my 5 months of vaping I have only had 'one' that lasted over two weeks and that was only for a couple more days.

makdevo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Portland Oregon
I have one njoy atty connected to a usb passthru powered by a external pwr sply. I drip it daily, morning, afternoon, evening when I am home.

Never cleaned it, only "drain it" overnight. I have been using it since Feb 09. Always works!

801 attys, different story. I lost one after one day, measures 75 ohms. I suspect bad solder. I can't blame use for that kind of failure. Poor quality.

I have lost several 801 attys since March, all measure high resistance now. All have been replaced.

I try not to rotate, I want to "see" a failure rate so I can begin to trouble shoot.

I only use 2 types, Npro and 801:

Npro, drip only(carts are too small). My "drip station" runs 5 volts at 1amp. This combo is great, nice warm vapor, full juice taste, easy to change flavors. I am working on a mod for a manual switch. Still using vacuum type usb passthru.

801, use 3.7 volt batteries with mods or with USB, rarely use "cig battery". Drain over night, clean connections with microfibre cloth. Try not to drop them. Never let them run dry. For weeks now I am using manual switch type units. Got tired of battery cut off.

Still trying to figure this stuff out.

makdevo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Portland Oregon
Here is my take:
Keep in mind the atty is nothing more than a filament connected across a power source (a simple coil)

Lets examine the failure mode for a filament. There are only 2.
Shorted or Open. Open can mean high resistance. In this case 5 ohms or above will no longer heat properly. The most common is open or high resistance, chances are this is most often the case.

Of course there can be other issues like "clogged" or "flooded". Cleaning will help these issues. Nothing will help coil failure execept to replace the coil. For an 801 I don't see how that is possible. I can't get them apart and back together.

Regarding carbon build up. The atty coil is intact and measures proper resistance, but the carbon coating on the filament prevents heat transfer. Under these circumstances, keep heating it and it will either open or start to burn off the coating. If you can't remove the coating the atty is defective. I have not experienced this type of failure yet. Mine are always resistance failures. Up to 75 ohms (should be between 3 - 4 ohms cold)

When my atty acts up. The first thing I do is let it cool and check the coil resistance. Too high and there is nothing I can do, it is defective, must be replaced. No guess work, just replace and continue.

Any one else see where I am wrong?

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
I don't clean mine but do ocassionally let them drain overnight. I used 1 janty atomizer 2 mos. every day, heavy vaping all day long. It's resting now because I got some from beci and wanted to give them a try. I do drop mine from time to time (by accident not as part of "cleaning") and so far they seem to have suffered little. 1 from beci died after about 2 weeks. Oh, these are for the pentstyle by the way.

I essentially cannot clean my atty. I vape (mostly) a DSE601 pipe, and the atty in not accessible. In it's defense, it hasn't missed a lick. Goes about 2 days on a batt charge. It sounds like the atty's in the "cigarettes" are far less reliable. I don't know how good they are about warranty support, but it does have a years warranty. I guess I should count my blessings.

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
To all of you saying you don't clean, do you mean that you don't even 'rest' it and let it drain out? or do you mean that you just don't boil/steam/pepsi bath/acid bath/denture clean/ultrasonic clean, etc?
I have been using the same Njoy Ncig since Feb. I don't clean it , but when it is not in my hand I store it atomizer end down so the eliquid runs toward the cartridge. It seems to be working ok for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread