Who Watches the Watchmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Yes it's an amazing book. Haven't seem the film though, I didn't realise it was out yet. I didn't have high hopes though, I'd heard Alan Moore had disowned it and they changed the ending.

it's not out yet, but i don't plan on seeing it.if any of the released footage and trailers/teasers/tv promos show even the slightest indication of what the film will be like, it's going to be god awful.

alan moore disowned it before he even knew they changed the ending. and i don't blame him for it. judging from hollywood's track record of slaughtering his work (v for vendetta, league of extraordinary gentlemen) and from what's been released so far, he seems to have made the only logical decision.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I just try to enjoy the costumes and gadgets, the action, etc, and ignore how much better the original was.

i enjoy all that from the original. no need for a big screen adaptation to get any of that, regardless of cool factor.

glad to see there are others here that dig this stuff though.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I've only seen one trailer, but it looks fantastic to me. Just speaking about the visual, of course.

the visuals is what's getting me. it's all cool and awesome and cool and rad and whatever, but that stuff gets really old really fast if 300 was any indication.

and the whole fanboy argument that all the panels from the book are being redone shot for shot (with the aid of repetitive slow motion speed ramping of course) in the movie. but, my thing is, i've found that the best place to look for a perfect shot for shot duplication of the panels is, well, looking at the original panels in the flippin book.

maybe i'm getting old.

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
I always watch film adaptations of comic books, even when I suspect they'll be gash, just for the snapshot moments. Judge Dredd is a perfect example.
Sly Stallone? Gaaahh!
He took his hat off! Gaaaaaahhhhhh!
Mean Machine Angel, however, is the most perfectly realised comic book character I've ever seen on the big screen. Redeemed the entire steaming pile of puke (and he got what, two minutes on screen?)

Emp

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
Didn't he do Pan's Labryinth as well? I know it's not a comic but I was frustrated with the movie because I wanted the little girl to die so bad for her stupidity and Del Toro finally obliged at the end.

I was disappointed that I had to wait for the end for that to happen.
Everything else about that movie was good though.

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
doesn't that quote go "and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout save us, and i'll look down and whisper no."

Wow, you chaps have your Watchmen quotes memorised much better than I do. The Rorschach line that really grabbed me as a young goth:

'None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.'

...or words to that effect

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Wow, you chaps have your Watchmen quotes memorised much better than I do. The Rorschach line that really grabbed me as a young goth:

'None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.'

...or words to that effect

yeah he's a bit of a nietzsche-ish fellow in all his quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread