Status
Not open for further replies.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Love the pictures Werkit! I'm glad you an Vaporer had a productive season, despite this weather!

I am looking for seeds for next year and wondering whether there are any tobacco seeds left that have not been re-engineered by BT... or Monsanto.:ohmy:
Lots of sites to research from a Google of: organic heirloom tobacco seeds - Google Search
I thought I would query your thoughts and experience.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
For good or bad mine are all still growing. lol
The Cubans have huge leaves now and are abt 5' tall. Both plants just started to bloom abt 2 weeks ago so I topped them. I've only collected 5 yellow brown leaves from them. The Rustica is continuing to bloom so I didn't want a cross. Although, I'm not sure it would have hurt since I wasn't looking for pure strains if I planted the seeds next yr.

The Rustica's leaves are much smaller and even when topped they kept producing new flower heads. I let some go and topped the others. The tallest Rustica is abt 4', most abt 3'. They needed more sunlight. The angle and sunlight exposure showed that very quickly. Ones that got the most sun due to trees overhang and such did much better.

The Virginia I restarted after vacation (mid July?) never really did all that well. It was the sunniest spot, the driest too. So, I'd have to say they did what they did from a combination of factors. They were watered 2x a week and Miracle Grow was added. They are abt 1' tall, very bushy and all the leaves are yellowing on them. They have shown no sign of flowering.
I promised pictures and won't let you down. I took them and just have had to much going on to upload them. When I do, I'll have the dates on them. Got some nice pics of the Rustica flowers and seeds in a pod the was opening.

Better game plan for next yr though. lol I haven't used any yet so I can get the final weights of leaf, leaf & stalk of each variety. For an unprepped hay field, 1st yr, horribly hot & dry.......I'm not disappointed at all.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I chopped all of my plants down and tossed the leaves. They grew well, but were over run by worms. Given this was only my second year growing, I was still trying to go organic. Organic won't work with baccy, due to the worms. Anyway, I was out of town for a month and the folks whose land I was growing on, agreed to harvest the leaves while I was gone. However, they didn't separate them, so I had a huge bag of leaves of all different types of baccys mixed. It's not their fault. I just can't tend to baccy plants unless they are: 1. Grown on the land where I live 2. Treated with Sevin for the worms. I have been far too busy this spring and summer to do these baccy plants right anyway. However, I do have LOTS of seed! The plants were beautiful and got HUGE! At this point, I am not sure whether I will grow again next year or not. I've got far too much shade where I live to do baccy right.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Sorry to hear that WerkIt. The Cubans do very well in shade and mine are still going strong. Removing a few leaves that are browning now as the cold nights set in. They still have 80% of their leaves! They both maxed at abt 5ft and the leaves just get bigger. I caught them in time and topped them from seeding. One is still trying to seed and I may let it go now that ts so late in the year.
The Rusticas are over 1/2 stripped now and going fast. None made it past the 4' mark. One Cuban plant has produced more than 4 Rusticas.
The "late plants"(Virginia I think) didn't do well at all. just small bushes 1' tall in direct sun and little care from me.
I attribute their failing if you call it that, to poor soil, very dry, lack of care, extremely late start and anything else a 1st yr grower could do to them.

It's hard not to test some, but I'm holding out for a final dry weight total. I'm not going to include stalk. I've read its used too in some snuff making, but I'd like to stick with just the leaves.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry to hear that WerkIt.

Oh I don't mind. I am in this for the long term. I got seed this year, but not last. I know I prefer los while making my own portions out of los using coffee filters. I know I can't escape Sevin dust for caterpillars. In other words, I have learned how to do this to get what I need, on the off chance the government got any more stupid than they already are with respect to tobacco policy. So, provided I can actually manage to stay in town next year, and did decide to grow again, I should have all the info I need to get a harvest consistently, year after year. That's all I wanted out of this.

The Cubans do very well in shade and mine are still going strong. Removing a few leaves that are browning now as the cold nights set in.

Congrats! Don't you love knowing you can make your own?

They both maxed at abt 5ft and the leaves just get bigger.

Awesome, that's probably as tall as they are supposed to get.

One is still trying to seed and I may let it go now that ts so late in the year.

You'll have enough seed to last a life time if you do.

The Rusticas are over 1/2 stripped now and going fast. None made it past the 4' mark.

That's the norm for Rustica isn't it?

It's hard not to test some, but I'm holding out for a final dry weight total..

I chopped up a little of the Virginia Gold, as well as the Yellow Orinoco, cut them with scissors, then injected them into tubes just to taste them. They were both almost sickeningly sweet, but given they weren't cured, and Virginias are known for sweetness, the lack of curing meant the sugars weren't converted anyway.

I'm not going to include stalk. I've read its used too in some snuff making, but I'd like to stick with just the leaves.

I would do the same.

Have you seen the crop on the Snus forums by justintemplar? If he makes his crop into snus, he should have several YEARS worth of los. This link is to page 3, which shows his plants at maximum height, or close enough, as well as drying/curing under the eaves of his house. He grew a Virginia hybrid called DelGold:

JT's P.A.C.T. Garden

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Well, I like you am in it to be self sufficient if needed and if it goes well be that way anyhow. Flavoring isn't a problem.
I need to do another few shots.
I didn't have worm issues and never put anything on mine. I had a few leaves develop holes or edge issues, but the rest were and still are perfect. You'll see in the pics.

Yes on the heights. I expected no more from the Cubans or Rustica. I'm sure the late ones I started were the Chobies Gold Award winning blah blah...season good for Alaska zones. Heck, if you read his ad , they should plant & grow themselves. lol
I can't gripe abt them as they had a great germination rate, but I kept loosing them due to lack of proper lighting and they would be spindly then die from condensation drops, air, rot you name it. No matter how much I babied the 1st three tries I lost them. I finally got the few going mid July (1" tall). As I stated earlier, I put these on higher ground, full sun, much naturally drier soil and hit them with Miracle Grow as I did the others. They just never took off. My guess is just severely stunted from poor soil and dryness. Toss in a big dose of noobness too! It was a hot dry summer. They didn't die though! Abt 1' tall and kinda bushy. This tells me they might have been trying to keep less leaf exposed to drying. I never weeded other than abt 6" around each plant.
So, all that being said I have to take a lot of the blame. I was just surprised at the lack of height. I would have expected taller spindly small leaves. But, what do I know? It's my 1st yr and I've learned so much and I do have a good amount of leaf from very little work.

Some leaves dried greenish and green/yellow. I was hoping for brown or sun cured bleached yellow. So, I experimented with a few. Rewetting and letting them stay in the sun helped them go yellow. The same procedure in a darker area they went on to brown. Woo Hoo..........
I tossed a few non dried kinda green ones in the large ziplock bag with the dry ones, leaving it open, but it folded over at the top. Bad bad........they changed fast, but the moisture and lack of air nearly molded them! Wetting is fine, but they will need air. Period. Makes one appreciate the humidity controlled areas they dry tobacco leaf in and why.
Making snus, the process would remove or breakdown the chlorophyll and greenness.

I'll go check out those links. Tnx!

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
"After the harvest" will be a good feature of its own. Since the beginning (back to when I ordered my still un-planted seeds) my mind keeps going back to the harvest and the steps taken to properly dry, store and process. Actually, that's my main concern. It'd be bad to have a good harvest, then fumble the rest. Looking forward to the future updates, guys. Hey V, glad you're still kickin' :).

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Heck, if you read his ad , they should plant & grow themselves. lol

Well tobacco grows all over the earth. It's not a particularly difficult plant to grow, like salvia divinorum or moth orchids.

I can't gripe abt them as they had a great germination rate, but I kept loosing them due to lack of proper lighting

I use a compact flourescent bulb which gives the equivalent of 150 watts for seed starting. It's not a 'grow' light either, but works just the same AND doesn't up the power bill to much.

and they would be spindly then die from condensation drops, air, rot you name it.

Did you stop humidity once they sprouted?

and hit them with Miracle Grow as I did the others.

I can't provide the link and don't even remember where I read it, but I did read that Miracle Grow is not recommended as fertilizer for tobacco plants. It had something to do with the form of nitrogen, because it would increase nitrosamine levels in the leaf. A Google search might provide the details I can't recall.

So, all that being said I have to take a lot of the blame.

Naa, it's part of the learning process and sometimes things just happen and we never know why. Just keep going and don't worry about that stuff. If you keep at it, you get the secrets you are looking for anyway.

Some leaves dried greenish and green/yellow. I was hoping for brown or sun cured bleached yellow. So, I experimented with a few. Rewetting and letting them stay in the sun helped them go yellow. The same procedure in a darker area they went on to brown. Woo Hoo...........

That's it exactly. The leaf turns different colors, depending on the humidity level in the air. If humidity is low, the leaf dries green. If the humidity is high, the leaf dries yellow, then brown. It's my understanding that here in the south, the crops were timed such that harvest would occur in late July or August, then the leaves were off to color cure in the humid dog days of the summer, which gives the right color, or necessary chemical change, to the leaves. You essentially raised the humidity level of the leaves which had dried green, which allowed them to complete the stage to yellow then brown.

the moisture and lack of air nearly molded them! Wetting is fine, but they will need air. Period.

EXACTLY!

Well I am busy prepping for some wintersowing here. I won't wintersow tobacco seeds, for obvious reasons. I have been collecting two liter soda bottles and presently have 10 with labels removed. I am using a tool to punch both drainage holes in the bottom of the bottles, and ventilation holes in the tops of the bottles. I probably won't plant the bottles until mid-January. I was going to plant them at the winter solstice, but it was only two years ago we had 70 degree temps on Xmas eve and I don't need seeds germinating that early (although they might survive regardless). If we do get snow here, it is usually the first week of January, so it should be plenty cold to break the seed coats then. Once the bottles are planted, outdoors they go to stay until spring, at which point, I should have many, many strong seedlings ready for the ground. Wintersowing works particularly well for perennials, because the seeds, by nature, need and get cold prior to sprouting, Supposedly, wintersown seedlings make for much tougher plants than store bought plants, which are babied with perfect conditions. Here's what I will start mid-January:

Basket of Gold - short, low-growing with gold blooms, although it must not bloom until year 2. These seeds can also be direct sown outdoors where you want them in the fall, because they still get the cold period.

Candytuft - low-growing evergreen which blooms white and spreads in wide clumps.

Excelsior hybrids foxglove - these bloom the first year from seed. I won't plant all 20,000 (!) seeds though

Perennial foxglove (mortensis) - this is shade or part shade only and really for a friend who can only grow shade only plants in her yard.

Gayfeather - native perennial which won't bloom until year 2, being busy growing the corm in year 1. This is the white, not purple blooming variety.

Shasta daisy - A typical, somewhat generic daisy.

Exhibition shasta daisy - crazy, fluffy looking white flower.

Sometimes I wonder if this seed $h!t is as addictive as nicotine. On the other hand, starting seeds in the dead of the cold is my way of telling winter where to stick it. (And let's not even get into the annuals I will start in the spring.)

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Hey, My starts did great this spring!

Congrats!

I'm not sure where to put them all. Is there a problem with planting them near veggies?

It should be fine, depending on what chemicals you treat the baccy with to kill the caterpillars that eat the leaves. Baccy is of the same family as tomatos. (And seriously, forget growing 'organic' tobacco, because that only means your plants get eaten instead of smoked or pasteurized.)

I mean other than their size that would take over my garden.

Leave plenty of room or your veggies might be in the shade.

Where are you guys?

I had no plans to grow this year, because I had too much traveling to do. Good thing I didn't grow this year, since my car was totaled right before my scheduled trips began. I do have 60 cans of los on the way from premiumsnus, however. Will be nice to snus some licorice again.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks Werkit!
I was wondering what was doing the nibbling. I didn't expect anything to eat them.

It's either the caterpillars of the hawk moth or the cabbage moth. I can't remember which. They will strip the plant clean if you don't control it.

I'll try 7 dust or spray first.

I heard sevin dust works.

I'm just growing for kicks anyway.

Learn it now. It might come in handy some day.

Do I need to mulch under them? .

I never did and don't know of anyone who has. However, depending on where you live, it might be a good idea. Tobacco is a big drinker and mulch will help seal moisture in the ground. I would pose the question here to be sure there would be no unwanted side effects from mulching.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Ehhh, it's ok now, although I've tired of cussing out insurance companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread