Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I just can't figure out why people vape at 80 Watts +.

Is it that my Nic 5mg is too high causing harshness. I'm allergic to PG so I vape only VG with a high amount of Alcohol. Could the high Alcohol content around 10% cause harshness too.

I just started squonking again. On my Ijoy Capo I have a Vandy Maze and a Ijoy SRDA.
The Maze which is .20ohm I vape at 50w and the .13 Vandy at 40 Watts.

Just curious if it's my liquid that makes high temp vaping unpleasant.

Note: Just called the MFG and found out that the Cook's Peppermint Extract that I use is 47.5% alcohol so I'm not vaping 20% Alcohol.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Because that's what you set your mod to.

Sorry, I have an unfortunate tendency to be overly literal.

It comes down to coil mass. The more wire a coil has, the more power it takes to quickly heat it to vaping temperatures. That's why I'm happily vaping at 8 watts with a weeny little coil and you're vaping at 40 watts with (presumably) a more massive coil. Someone else is using a bigger coil still, so their power setting is higher. You can have a great vape at almost any setting provided your settings suit the coil you've chosen.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I even think your wattage is high, but it comes down to coil mass and airflow. If you were building your own coils or used dual even quad coils with a lot of mass , with massive af, then one can obtain higher wattage without the harshness. My rebuildable rtas, are mtl and has
tight af with not much coil mass, so that controls power you can obtain before becoming too harsh

u

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I even think your wattage is high, but it comes down to coil mass and airflow. If you were building your own coils or used dual even quad coils with a lot of mass , with massive af, then one can obtain higher wattage without the harshness. My rebuildable rtas, are mtl and has
tight af with not much coil mass, so that controls power you can obtain before becoming too harsh

Yes, I overlooked airflow. The greater your airflow, the more power it takes to keep your coil hot enough to vape.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yes, I overlooked airflow. The greater your airflow, the more power it takes to keep your coil hot enough to vape.

And juice flow. ;) The more cold juice is being dumped on a coil, the more wattage is needed to vaporize it.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Do you like your vape? Is it the perfect temp for you? Then you're at just the right amount of power.

Why others vape at 80W is because of their preference with their particular setup, or because the coil says "best at 80-90W" and they believe it, even if they don't really like the vape.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Could the high Alcohol content around 20% cause harshness too.

Very much so. People often add a bit of alcohol to their eliquids to increase TH; 20% alcohol sounds excessive to me. Why so much? You can dilute your VG with distilled water (10-15%) or distilled water and just a few drops of alcohol --vodka or everclear (PGA) are usually recommended.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I just can't figure out why people Vape at 80 Watts +.

Is it that my Nic 5mg is too high causing harshness. I'm allergic to PG so I vape only VG with a high amount of Alcohol. Could the high Alcohol content around 20% cause harshness too.

I just started squonking again. On my Ijoy Capo I have a Vandy Maze and a Ijoy SRDA.

I don't know the answer to this, and don't vape at high wattages.

But I'm wondering what kind of juice you're using that is 40 proof? That sounds like an incredibly high alcohol percentage, since alcohol would normally only be a small percentage of a flavoring, which in total is usually only 5-20% of the juice.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I just can't figure out why people Vape at 80 Watts +.

Is it that my Nic 5mg is too high causing harshness. I'm allergic to PG so I vape only VG with a high amount of Alcohol. Could the high Alcohol content around 20% cause harshness too.

Does it matter, assuming you like it?

If you do, vape & enjoy it. It's that simple. :thumb:

jotohomomoto

Jun 19, 2014
United States
I didn't even know people put alcohol into vape juice lol.
man I was literally thinking the same thing when I scrolled to your comment. I wonder if there is any pscho-active effects or if it would register on a breathalyzer. I saw someone above mention 'throat hit', is that the only reason one seeks alcohol in their vape???

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread