Why am I vaping at 40 -50 Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate riddle

Dec 29, 2018
I just can't figure out why people Vape at 80 Watts +.

Is it that my Nic 5mg is too high causing harshness. I'm allergic to PG so I vape only VG with a high amount of Alcohol. Could the high Alcohol content around 10% cause harshness too.

I just started squonking again. On my Ijoy Capo I have a Vandy Maze and a Ijoy SRDA.
The Maze which is .20ohm I vape at 50w and the .13 Vandy at 40 Watts.

Just curious if it's my liquid that makes high temp vaping unpleasant.

Note: Just called the MFG and found out that the Cook's Peppermint Extract that I use is 47.5% alcohol so I'm not vaping 20% Alcohol.
are you vaping juice, or salts?

xtrasyn

Mar 13, 2018
DXB
I’ll tell you this.

I have a few big loves in my life. Apart from the usual wife and kids thing, one is vaping on my SvoeMesto prime (18W, round wire SS316-26g/10 wraps, 35mg-40PG/60VG). Another is vaping my Kennedy 25 (110W, fused clapton aliens, SS316 3x28g-38g/5 wraps, 3mg-20PG/80VG).

If we played the aliens game, or the FDA, and they would come and take all my vapes, I’d have a hard time picking which I would replace. Both are equally dear to me, both hit me in the throat equally I’d say, and they couldn’t be further apart in style and method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xtrasyn

Mar 13, 2018
DXB
It’s kind of funny though. When I go out, I always bring the Prime, as I find chucking huge clouds in public not that chique. However, after I while my mind always wanders off to the Kennedy.

After chucking a few clouds, I then long back to the prime. I tried a few juices with higher nic content thinking that that was the key here but no. I just love both equally and must have both.

I use a tank every now and then, mostly either the Kylin 2 or the Voopoo Rimfire at the moment, as some kind of ‘in between’ solution, when I know I’ll want to chuck a cloud but can’t be bothered dripping. When I travel, or need to take a long drive for example. But those I still vape at 95-105W.

Other tanks I just can’t vape that high. Mostly 50-70W for dual coil, 30-50 for single coils.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man I waded through that whole sucker to say two things:

Who cares, you vape where you enjoy vaping, congrats. Now, you are like every other sane vaper who is at THEIR range and does not need to mentally .........e about it. Come on.

For someone so "VG" conscious and how it needs to be all organic and natural, you sure due suck down a ton of alcohol and oil. That MAY be your lungs being completely intolerant of the type of eliquid that would um, cause problems in your lungs.

You know, arsenic is all natural and can be very pure and expensive and I still would not suggest vaping it. Especially at 20% or 15% or whatever.

Having some ETOH in your vape is probably fine, and vaping what you vape is probably better than smoking. PROBABLY.

But this tendency to demonize the "new" or "untested." It can be kind of a crappy theory, there is tons of "new" stuff about these days that has been show to be not only useful, but inherently safe, that does not occur in nature.

Vape what you want, but you are not going to convince me that your flavoring is safe, that homeopathy works (although placebo does) and really you are the type I would expect to see vaping UNFLAVORED, you are so paranoid. You should vape your silky smooth VG base on its own and avoid ANY danger.

I also bet if you DID that you could turn the wattage up quite a bit. Maybe give it a shot sometime.

Anna

Reactions: xtrasyn

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
I'm vaping at 25w right now. Using a single coil RTA, with 24g Kanthal at .5 ohms. I'll inhale for 2-3 seconds, but only hold the fire button for 1-2 seconds. I'll sometimes go up as high as 30w, but for some reason I've been getting dry/burnt hits lately so I'm keeping the power a bit low.

Miklos103

Dec 3, 2018
47.5% is 95 proof and wouldn't that ignite..? o_O
I vape at 115-140w and don't understand why people vape so low.... anything under 100 with the coils I use and I don't even taste the juice. I also use a mason rda with airflow wide open and juggernaut coils (2-26/.1*4/2-36) at .12ohm so I kinda need some power...
if it would register on a breathalyzer
It does. I learned the hard way.
. It reminded me of a jet chemtrail you see in the sky on a cold day.
Fixed

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm vaping at 25w right now. Using a single coil RTA, with 24g Kanthal at .5 ohms. I'll inhale for 2-3 seconds, but only hold the fire button for 1-2 seconds. I'll sometimes go up as high as 30w, but for some reason I've been getting dry/burnt hits lately so I'm keeping the power a bit low.
Some mtl rtas just have a hard time going to 30, but if it's sort of a mtl/dtl rta that's kind of made to handle those wattages, than perhaps it's just the last wick job. At least in my experiences, if I get a dry hit, usually it's under wicked and I can actually hear it. There is always a faint sizzle sound as you release the fire button and if that sizzle goes on slightly longer then usual, it's under wicked and dry hitting or very close to hitting dry. If over wicked in these wattages, most of the time it's just muted flavor rather than dry hits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: Marjia

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
True the vapour does have to be the right temperature to produce a throat hit, otherwise the priming draw would give me one. But, "harsh" isn't how i'd describe it, not at 11.5 watts !. There is no real heat at all. I refer to it more like a "texture" from which i can actually feel the vapour hitting my throat and is not in any way unpleasant. A good example of what i think you mean is how vapdivrr describes how he vapes. Double the watts i'm using, he creates a much warmer/hotter vapour even with 26g i think. I couldn't tolerate that kind of harsh vapour and i would describe it the exact same way you do.
At 11.5 watts I get seasick from taking really long drags.

I'm sure you meant 10 watts. 10A is a pretty hot vape. My 10W vape is usually around 3.5 to 4 amps.

Wire gauge, air flow, and length of hit play into wattage. Heavy wire gauges take more power to reach temperature quickly. I vape at 10W (mouth to lung / low air flow) on a 28ga single coil. It's good for Mouth to Lung type hits, similar to a cigarette. Those who vape at higher wattages tend to use atomizers with a free air flow as opposed to a cigarette filter style air flow. Looser air flow cools the coil and provides cooler vapor while you are taking a hit at higher wattage with high air flow. They also vape DTL (direct to lung), take longer hits, and get much thicker plumes of vapor.

It's just two different styles of vaping.
Nope, I meant 10 amps...most of my favorite builds are 0.4 ohms @ 4 volts...no matter the wire I always do the math before I start. 10 amps keeps me around 50% of most of my batteries CDR or even less on some.

Reactions: DaveP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread