Why did you quit smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodless2010

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2015
So I created this thread to find out why you people decided to quit smoking and move on to vaping, whether it be health concerns, cost or whatever.. Personally I quit smoking because after about a year that I smoked I just didn't enjoy it any more and I didn't like smelling like death. I don't really have plans on quitting vaping either because I enjoy it :)
And another one, did you have any problems moving on from smoking to vaping? I haven't smoked once since I started vaping and personally at first I thought that it just wouldn't be the same but it was a lot better.. I hear a lot about people complaining about how it just doesn't work for them and I feel sorry for what they are missing out on! :thumbs:

Reactions: Puff2K

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
For the last few years (before I quit smoking) I had been feeling like a reluctant smoker. Like I was just doing it b/c "it's what I do" But I certainly wasn't getting any satisfaction. It was just curbing the nic craving. Except I smoked even when I wasn't craving. I just lit up, smoked it, dropped it - just anywhere and everywhere - then lit again shortly there after. I didn't like what I was doing. But I just kept doing it. I LOVE vaping. I dig the flavors, I dig all the choices of mod, tanks, rda's, flavors, etc... I quit smoking while having a full carton of cigs in my freezer lol ! Ended up selling the cigs to a guy at work. That was almost 2 yrs ago. I quit b/c I finally had the way and means to quit ! And I don't really feel sorry for those who choose to keep smoking. They have a choice, just like we did. Yes, it was a bit of a battle to quit, a bit of a learning curve. But all and all, I don't think we (or I) had it any easier then my best friends who won't give vaping a chance. My bestest has me to guide her (and him) if they wanted. I had nobody but the sweet folks here at ECF.

Thanks for starting this thread. I really needed to talk I guess :)

Do you notice that my avatar photo matches my mood? Too funny!!! I just noticed that the other day.

Deb

bloodless2010

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2015
For the last few years (before I quit smoking) I had been feeling like a reluctant smoker. Like I was just doing it b/c "it's what I do" But I certainly wasn't getting any satisfaction. It was just curbing the nic craving. Except I smoked even when I wasn't craving. I just lit up, smoked it, dropped it - just anywhere and everywhere - then lit again shortly there after. I didn't like what I was doing. But I just kept doing it. I LOVE vaping. I dig the flavors, I dig all the choices of mod, tanks, rda's, flavors, etc... I quit smoking while having a full carton of cigs in my freezer lol ! Ended up selling the cigs to a guy at work. That was almost 2 yrs ago. I quit b/c I finally had the way and means to quit ! And I don't really feel sorry for those who choose to keep smoking. They have a choice, just like we did. Yes, it was a bit of a battle to quit, a bit of a learning curve. But all and all, I don't think we (or I) had it any easier then my best friends who won't give vaping a chance. My bestest has me to guide her (and him) if they wanted. I had nobody but the sweet folks here at ECF.

Thanks for starting this thread. I really needed to talk I guess :)

Do you notice that my avatar photo matches my mood? Too funny!!! I just noticed that the other day.

Deb
It's really nice to see a community full of people enthusiastic about vaping.. I highly doubt there is a smoking community with people enthusiastic about killing themselves slowly. It's really nice to hear other peoples stories on quitting because I understand it was hard for a lot of people, I tried to quit myself, even though I hadn't been smoking for as long as some people have, I found it hard and I noticed the addiction was only growing when it became more and more a day and I thought it was only going to get worse. Quick question; why did you keep your cigs in the freezer? seems like an odd place to keep them lol

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Freezer to keep them fresh - lol. Not that they stayed in there more then a week. I was going thru a carton every week. But I would always buy two cartons at a time. Then again, it probly didn't matter. I just got into the habit of keeping in the freezer for "supposedly" freshness.

And yea, no real community spirit for smokers lol ! You are smart in quitting before it put too much damage on your lungs. I smoked
40 yrs. Pretty much 3/4 of my life.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
I smoked 41 years and never thought I could quit. A few years ago I was told I had COPD and still I kept smoking, as my lungs got worse and worse. To my surprise, I found vaping and within a week of starting I had quit smoking. It's miraculous. I wish I had found vaping much sooner but I'm glad I found it at all.

Reactions: KattMamma

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
You n me too Puff2K. I was noticing my quit meter is showing $7 K not spent on tobacco so far. That is insane !!!! What a waste !!! To think od all the $$$ spent on killing ourselves slow but sure. So glad to hear your success with vaping.
Thank you, Steelgirl! I'm very glad of your success too. It hurts to think of all the money spent on cigarettes all my life. An addict will do what an addict will do for their fix. And I did it. :confused: But luckily, that's hopefully over for good. The only way I'd ever go back to smoking is if they ban vaping. Stay strong, and vape on!

Reactions: Steelgirl

bloodless2010

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2015
Besides the obvious health issues, I quit because I got tired of smelling like a department store fragrance dept;.... to cover the stench of tobacco!:lol:
Yeah I also liked to spray myself in a lot of deodorant I could get my hands on.. Except the fact it just seemed to make me smell of strong chemicals after awhile with a strong tobacco after-smell, disgusting!

mojofilter

Mar 10, 2015
Florida, USA
I quit after 42 years because I felt like it was time. For the last six or seven years, every night when I went to bed, the sound of my lungs wheezing would keep me awake until I fell asleep from exhaustion, and it was only getting worse. And there was the coughing and phlegm, and the smell. And the going outside when it was deathly hot or cold or raining. It was only at the beginning of this year that I heard about vaping. I mean, I must have heard of an e-cigarette, but I didn't give it any further thought until January. I looked into it a bit and figured it couldn't possibly be as bad for you as smoking, and that I ought to try it, because who knows, it might help me quit smoking. I was afraid to quit. I did it once in the '80s, and I have never been so sick in my life. Then I relapsed, and continued to smoke for fear of getting that sick again. (What I didn't know was that I came down with the flu at the same time I was going cold turkey, and was suffering the worst of both at the same time.)

So I read a bunch and watched a lot of user and review videos on YouTube about it, and decided on a vaporizer. It arrived on February 2nd. I charged it up, put some liquid in the cartridge, and haven't had a cigarette since that day. It wasn't difficult for me at all. In fact, it was unbelievably not difficult. It sure surprised me! I bought way too much liquid when I started out. I figure I'll run out of it by the end of this month, and then I will quit vaping, too. If I miss it, I can get another bottle, but I don't need to vape now. I've gone days without it, and felt fine. I don't see myself continuing with it. Vaping has been a means to an end, and I reached that end some time ago. I just can't bring myself to throw out my e-liquid because it tastes wonderful. I just feel that my lungs deserve a permanent break, so my plan is to give it to them.

TheDaughterOfTyr

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
BC, Canada
I quit smoking cigarettes (despite the fact I LOVE smoking) because of my health. Grandmother has COPD from her smoking history and I didn't want to get there myself.
I'm really stoked on the fact I smell nice all the time now and my fingers aren't yellow.
Think I might save up to get my teeth fixed with the money I save from switching to vape!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hmmm... I'd have to say that, the first time, last February, I quit because I had managed to substitute vaping for so much smoking, strictly as an experiment to see if I *could*, that it seemed utterly stupid to keep my cigarette addiction alive with just one cigarette a day; figured if I could manage just one smoke a day, for 3 days in a row, I could probably manage equally well without it, and I was right. That time, I really had no difficulties after quitting, at all.

In June of last year I had to have my appendix out, and was so wretchedly sick afterward I couldn't eat or vape, and barely drink anything, for 4 days afterward; when I was able to vape again, it tasted so godawful that I didn't even want to do it -- but I tried. 3 more days later, the most godawful cravings were kicking me in the head, and I wept, and screamed, "I didn't sign up for this!" so my husband got me some cigarettes, and I smoked. By the 3rd day back to smoking -- even though I was still trying to vape as much as I could -- I finished off an entire pack by 6pm, and I didn't get up until 11am! That scared the hell out of me, and I started trying even harder to vape more, and smoke less, and by the time another month went by, I had weaned myself down again, and managed to quit for the 2nd time. I was delighted, very happy about it, not missing cigarettes at all... until I was 10 days smoke-free, and those godawful cravings hit me up-side the head again. Fortunately I had acquired some WTA by then, and gave it a shot, rather than instantly succumbing to smoking -- and it worked; cravings vanished. Since then, over 10 months ago, I've had no difficulties whatever, and no cravings.

Andria

APF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Qualicum Beach BC
I am quite new to vaping, but not new to a cigarette habit of over 25 cigs a day for over 40 years. Vaping has allowed me to walk away from the cigs for three days now, without any cravings. Now I bet you are all thinking, 'Three days, big deal', but in my past I quit cold turkey for two years and I vividly remember the hell of that first week. The vaping experience is like night and day and I actually prefer it to smoking cigs. As a point of intrest, it was my Doctor that recommended vaping to me! Now don't that beat all? :)

Al

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
I am quite new to vaping, but not new to a cigarette habit of over 25 cigs a day for over 40 years. Vaping has allowed me to walk away from the cigs for three days now, without any cravings. Now I bet you are all thinking, 'Three days, big deal', but in my past I quit cold turkey for two years and I vividly remember the hell of that first week. The vaping experience is like night and day and I actually prefer it to smoking cigs. As a point of intrest, it was my Doctor that recommended vaping to me! Now don't that beat all? :)

Al
Hey that's wonderful! Congrats on three days! I was very stoked at the three days mark! :) now it's three months, almost.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Al

As I recall, I thought it was beyond fantastic when I went 48 hrs without a smoke, or even a CARE about a smoke -- so congrats! That's a VERY big deal!!! A year of smoke-free is made up of 365.25 individual days. :D :thumb:

Andria

APF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Qualicum Beach BC
As I recall, I thought it was beyond fantastic when I went 48 hrs without a smoke, or even a CARE about a smoke -- so congrats! That's a VERY big deal!!! A year of smoke-free is made up of 365.25 individual days. :D :thumb:

Andria

Thanks, Andria! Yes, I am still amazed with the outcome of my vaping 'journey'. No cravings, no chronic cough and no increased appetite as from non-vaping attempts of the past. In fact, today's morning coffee went down before my first vape.

I really appreciate what I have learned from the ECF forums and the kind people who make them up. Perhaps someday I'll be able to help too.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thanks, Andria! Yes, I am still amazed with the outcome of my vaping 'journey'. No cravings, no chronic cough and no increased appetite as from non-vaping attempts of the past. In fact, today's morning coffee went down before my first vape.

I really appreciate what I have learned from the ECF forums and the kind people who make them up. Perhaps someday I'll be able to help too.

I still find it completely amazing, even with the various little speedbumps I've hit along the way, but at first, I was so absolutely AMAZED and delighted, to be NOT smoking, and not caring! First time in 39 yrs THAT ever happened! Sometimes it would just hit me -- and still does! -- I DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE!!! HALLELUJAH AND PASS THE EJUICE!!! :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread