Why do some people fail at vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDaHood

Oct 16, 2011
Florida
I'm on day 29. It is a different experience to be sure, and the way you inhale is different. There has been a lot of good advice here, like drinking fluids, inhaling into the mouth first, etc. Also, try different liquids. What works for your son might be too much throat hit for you. When quitting tobacco, your throat may be more susceptible to irritation...hence coughing. Take it slow and easy and experiment to find what works for you. I have started a few cigs over the last 4 weeks and have found that I really don't enjoy the taste or the smoke anymore. Yes, the craving is still there sometimes, and vaping is not the same thing, but it gives me the experience that I need to leave the cigs alone.

Caileadair

Sep 28, 2011
Vancouver BC
Many great suggestion's here and I appreciate all the help. FYI, I have been smoking analogs for 45 years...I started when I was 12 yrs old. At least 1.5 ppd. I haven't quit analogs altogether but have cut down to about 1/2 of what I was smoking when I started vaping. Some days more, some days less. I've tried dripping, cartomizers, my son's Rio, an eGo variable voltage battery. I keep the analogs put away so I have to make a conscious choice to go and get one instead of just reaching out.

The thought that there is something else besides the nic that is causing me so much discomfort gives me a gut feeling that it may be what it is. As I mentioned before my son is a very successful vaper and hugely supportive (we share living space). He's been patient and has tried so hard to help. He has suggested that perhaps the MOAI's in the analog's. In cigs the MOAI's are non selective and they prevent the breakdown of things like serotonin and dopamine (just found that out with more research) . I had not heard of WTA and I'll surely be looking into that. I'm going to try not inhaling and holding the vapor in my mouth only before exhaling. I'm going to look at SNUS as well.

Living in Canada it can be difficult to get e juice over the border but the WTA is something I'll risk if I can only get it in the US. They can only take it away nothing else.

All you folks are great....thank you so much.

Kargin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Vancouver BC
Instead of trying to find a juice you're in love with, find one you can tolerate at least until you get off cigs. Just because you found the juice in prefilled carts harsh doesn't necessarily mean you have an issue with pg. You might just have an issue with that particular vendor.

My mom vaped 36 for the first couple weeks to get her off cigs then she dropped down to 6. But as a long time smoker that's what she needed to stop smoking. After you've been vaping for a few weeks and you got off cigs this becomes much easier as time goes by.

Make sure you don't buy your favorite brand of cigs. If your cigs taste better than vaping, you're going to smoke. I just had RYO tobacco around when I first started vaping. If I wanted a cig that bad, I'd have to roll one of those nasty things.

Swedishfish,

We have been working to find a juice that works for her, there have never been any pre-filled carts and we specifically trialed even straight pg and straight vg with nothing added and the PG is an issue. Have tried multiple different vendors as well. Hence the DIY juices we have been trying and the frustration as this point.

I think the MAOI's in tobacco may be a big part of the issue at this point, something we will need to look into.

Hyena 37

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Syracuse Ny
Cail I was in the same boat as you.... I found this menthol that was outstanding.. Menthol Extreme by Vapors Etc. I use a LR Cartomizer from Boge. The Carto and juice definately was the key for me .. As many have recommended you have to find your sweet spot .. whether it be voltage.. juice .. or cartomizer.I have been analog free for almost 10 months--20 yr smoker up to 2-1/2 packs a day.. I smell smoke now and it makes me gag.. Hang in there ..check in here and we will all help you.. I feel better than I ever have since quitting analogs...and by the way I have the vapors banner I do not work for them or know them.. what I do know is what worked for me and they have helped me along the way..... Dave

Hyena 37

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Syracuse Ny
Cail I did not finish reading all your post's If you continue to smoke analogs you will have a cough.. You need to set up a plan.. Here is the plan that I put together,,, For the first week I could have two analogs.. Mine was in the car on the way to work because that was my hardest time so one on the way to work .. One on the way home from work.. The rest of the day I used my PV... The second week I allowed myself one analog.. either to work or on the way home.. By time I hit the second week probably 3 days in I lit an analog on the way home .. took two hits and threw it out the window.I didn't even finish my two week plan. I did keep the rest of the pack because I didn't want to panic if I really wanted an analog...Third week in got home took the pack Hugged my wife and threw it in the trash...I have not looked back .Hope this helps you.. You will be so much happier when you totally kick the analogs out of your life

RobDaHood

Oct 16, 2011
Florida
I think just like medications, alcohol, food...different folks react differently. I really hope you will find something that works well for you.

I consider myself a real vaping success story. I loved smoking. Had no desire to quit, but I'm getting to the age that I realize I'm not gonna live forever and have to be more conscious about my health, which has to date been nearly perfect. So, I decided it was time to try. My only experience has been with Halo products. I will say that I consider them to be very high quality and the service has been excellent. On that note, I purchased some different menthol liquids and some Malibu cartos. Day 1 I tried the Malibu and hated them. I did however really like the menthol ice. (I have been a long term menthol smoker) A few days later I tried the Malibu again and loved it. Now I don't care for the other stuff.

Odd, but your taste change and your body's response changes as well. I did experience some throat irritation...now not so much. Today I ordered a DIY kit and a bunch of flavors. I am looking forward to the journey.

Smoked Marlboro light menthol 100's for years.
Started rolling my own a couple years ago because the new additives upset my stomach.
Switched to vaping 4 weeks ago. 18mg/ml
Now down to 12mg/ml
Going to try for 6 next week.

In other words, this is working for me...someone who really didn't want to quit cigs.
I truly hope you can find a way to make it work for you!
Don't give up.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Swedishfish,

We have been working to find a juice that works for her, there have never been any pre-filled carts and we specifically trialed even straight pg and straight vg with nothing added and the PG is an issue. Have tried multiple different vendors as well. Hence the DIY juices we have been trying and the frustration as this point.

I think the MAOI's in tobacco may be a big part of the issue at this point, something we will need to look into.

Here are a couple threads that might interest you. I know absolutely nothing about the topic so I can't comment but lots of interesting reading

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/230570-wta-e-liquid-issues.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/228147-wta-future.html

I'm sure other's do as well but Want2Vape has tobacco extracts

want2vape Premium USA E Liquid

Possibly someone else can help you with this, I don't vape tobacco juices but I really do hope you can find something that works for you. Hang in there and good luck!

Hi Caileadair - being Canadian too, I have found that there are excellent Canadian vendors that supply nic ejuice! I have had some shipped from the US and one is still sitting at customs since August - although many get through - I really enjoy the Canadian Vendors that I have dealt with. I am only on day 29 - so I am by no means an expert...this forum has got me through and answered a lot of questions (I just 'officially' joined today after creeping it for months LOL). What has worked for me is that I bought several different juices from MANY suppliers to find what I like...it's not so cost efficient...but it worked. I have narrowed a list from 4 vendors that I will stick with...but I probably have about 50 bottles of ejuice that I have given to friends to start on their vaping journey...what I hated they loved. For the record - I have, in my short month of quitting smoking - successfully converted both my sisters, one brother in law and 3 friends to vaping. And NONE of them had any desire to quit smoking :) We all got together and vaped our little hearts out and tried TONS of different flavours, strengths and mixes. All of us use the Bloog - and absolutley love it and find it VERY easy to use and friendly to the beginner.

RobDaHood

Oct 16, 2011
Florida
Here are a couple threads that might interest you. I know absolutely nothing about the topic so I can't comment but lots of interesting reading

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/230570-wta-e-liquid-issues.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/228147-wta-future.html

I'm sure other's do as well but Want2Vape has tobacco extracts

want2vape Premium USA E Liquid

Possibly someone else can help you with this, I don't vape tobacco juices but I really do hope you can find something that works for you. Hang in there and good luck!

Interesting stuff. I hadn't considered that perhaps one of the reasons this transition has been easier for me than I expected may have been that I had been stuffing my own tubes for 2 years and not smoking all the additives that the cig companies put in their products. Thanks for posting that. Was educational.

El Diablo Marrón

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Tacoma Wa,
Every now and then i cough.. just a few times a day. I figured it was due to me quiting and my lungs trying to get the crap out.
But i do cough for the first 9 drags off my Inferno every morning.. super strong TH's in the morning.

I also notice that the cartos i use make a change in how my lungs feels...the tank systems are my favorite, but i like the ones with batting in them.. but they make a cooler vapor and makes me cough sometimes.

RobDaHood

Oct 16, 2011
Florida
Every now and then i cough.. just a few times a day. I figured it was due to me quiting and my lungs trying to get the crap out.
But i do cough for the first 9 drags off my Inferno every morning.. super strong TH's in the morning.

I also notice that the cartos i use make a change in how my lungs feels...the tank systems are my favorite, but i like the ones with batting in them.. but they make a cooler vapor and makes me cough sometimes.

Yeah, I learned kinda quick not to inhale deep the first couple hits in the morning. After that it doesn't bother me unless I'm chain vaping, then my throat gets a little irritated. I just back off a bit and things are okay. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the feel of that first morning cig. But by the 2nd cup of coffee it's okay.

Many great suggestion's here and I appreciate all the help. FYI, I have been smoking analogs for 45 years...I started when I was 12 yrs old. At least 1.5 ppd. I haven't quit analogs altogether but have cut down to about 1/2 of what I was smoking when I started vaping. Some days more, some days less. I've tried dripping, cartomizers, my son's Rio, an eGo variable voltage battery. I keep the analogs put away so I have to make a conscious choice to go and get one instead of just reaching out.

The thought that there is something else besides the nic that is causing me so much discomfort gives me a gut feeling that it may be what it is. As I mentioned before my son is a very successful vaper and hugely supportive (we share living space). He's been patient and has tried so hard to help. He has suggested that perhaps the MOAI's in the analog's. In cigs the MOAI's are non selective and they prevent the breakdown of things like serotonin and dopamine (just found that out with more research) . I had not heard of WTA and I'll surely be looking into that. I'm going to try not inhaling and holding the vapor in my mouth only before exhaling. I'm going to look at SNUS as well.

Living in Canada it can be difficult to get e juice over the border but the WTA is something I'll risk if I can only get it in the US. They can only take it away nothing else.

All you folks are great....thank you so much.

All good points. One more - don't panic !

MAOIs (and maybe other tobacco alkaloids) and nicotine in (large) part work synergistcally. MAOIs seem to be unimportant for some people while for others the two are required for satiation. In this later case, nicotine alone might even ascerbate the craving. If you think this might apply, try a carto with nothing but VG in it.

WTAs are hard to get atm; snus might suffice in its place. While it is not a good idea to fret about how many analogs one might have, keep in mind that with fewer each is a better experience (not just a chore/habit). Yes, plain old habit is part of the 'addiction'.

+++

The above is on account of the OP's having explored hardware and liquids extensively; these are the things to look at first of all, and giving it at least a month.

Last edited:
There is only one way to "fail" at vaping: Give up before finding the combination of hardware and e-liquid that you like better than smoking.

EVERY aspect of vaping is completely customizable. If you can't find something you like better than smoking, you might need to invent it yourself but more likely you just need to keep looking. ;)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Some people don't pay attention to what the flavors tell them. Some people start vaping and go right for watermelon or something and blame vaping for not satisfying them, not their juice choice. Some people cannot vape food flavors right away - food flavors leave them with an analog craving as if they had just eaten. Some other people cannot vape tobacco flavors because tobacco reminds them of cigarettes and makes them want want one. Some can vape anything and feel satisfied. You have to figure out which you are. Then try plenty of juices of the type that satisfy you until you find some that make you go ahhh with their hit and aroma/flavor.

If you are having trouble then try something different. Tanks are not the be all end all of vaping methods. Tanks are a fairly new addition to vaping and a particular attraction to newbs. Try cartomizers too which are what most people are happy with. Boge are most popular - try standard and then LR Boges. Cartomizers keep your flavor totally separate so you can actually switch flavors and get full contrast.

Use suitable PG/VG juices for your vaping method.

spirou

May 5, 2009
I'm really glad you came here rather than lighting a cigarette. I hope you find your answer. Cartomizers, fluxomizers and supplies with plastic tubing or filler material make me cough. I think I'm allergic to the stuffing/filler in cartomizers and sensitive to something in the plastic tubing when it heats up from vaping. The only way I can vape cough-free and satisfied is dripping into an atomizer. It takes a little patience to learn but worth it. For me it was essential.

If the plastic tubing is leeching chemicals into your juice or filler doesn't agree with you that could be the issue. We're all guessing, each with a unique vaping experience.

Here's a thread on extracting tobacco. Since you DIY maybe it's worth a try? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/

If you decide to drip and need pointers PM me. Happy to help. Hope you find your satisfying, happy vape quickly. Be well.

hello i was just looking at your post and believe me i can't tape with a tank,seems like i can only do it by dripping but i don't know well how to do it,could you explain to me?im desperate need to quit smoking thanks.
Pierre

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Doormouse hit on something that I'd forgotten all about. During my early days of vaping, I craved just like DM mentioned and for the same reasons. So, I took my cartridge and alternated by 4 drops the fruit (apple) and the tobacco (ry4 and marbro) and discovered that I could have my after meal cig all day long. It helped me to get over those last 4 clingy cigs. The different mixes don't mix on their own, unless shaken, so they're easy to layer into a cartridge. For that reason, I kept cartridges around even after moving on to cartos and bottom feeders. I now have 3 pv's going all day, each filled with a different type of juice flavor. (tobacc, fruit or desert and a beverage). I'm still alternating my flavors, but in a funner more expensive way. (Reo Grand, Silver Bullet, eGo and sometimes Copper Q3).
Good luck OP!

semperfi1977m

Oct 17, 2011
Missouri
Hang in there OP!....if you have to have an analog here or there, dont beat yourself up over it. If you are like me, there is just nothing that can substitute real things. I can pick out decaf coffee even if someone sneaks it to me as regular. I just started vaping today, and I can tell it will never replace real tobacco in my mind, but I hope to find something that comes close enough to keep me smoke-free or smoking alot less. I see lines forming on my face...I feel my wind being affected. I see my tobacco use starting to escalate. These things I must nip in the bud before i end up one of those older folks who smokes 4-5 packs aday, cant walk to the mailbox, and looks like an old saddle.

If I have to have 1 or a few analogs a day to help the transition and prevent the craving, then so be it. Just look at it in that respect OP, if it keeps you down to a few analogs, but cant replace them 100%, you are still on a path to a healthier, longer, and more enjoyable life :)

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I really think that quitting smoking, whether via PVs or not, is just about whether you are really ready and willing to give up the analogs. I smoked for 20 years and "quit" a dozen times, but I never really wanted to and never succeeded. However, it had gotten to the point where, since my most recent "quit", I was hiding my smoking from my wife and kids (and everyone who knew my wife and kids), which meant only smoking at work, late at night when I was the only one up at home (and even then hiding in the garage) or ducking away from the family on an "errand" to sneak one somewhere. It was pretty miserable and I obviously felt like a Grade-A a$$h0l3 for all the secrecy and lying.

When I got my first gas-station e-cig, it was like a bolt of lightening. Here was something I could use in my car, at home, or anywhere else. I wasn't going to have to douse myself in Febreeze or munch on Altoids before getting home from work. I wasn't going to have to hide packs in my car or around the house. The e-cig wasn't really as good as my analogs, but it was something, and the positives definitely outweighed the negatives. I haven't had an analog since trying vaping for the first time (3 weeks).

For me, it wasn't that vaping really replaced smoking. It was like I had to quit smoking anyway, and I was lucky to find such a great alternative. I still had cravings, withdrawal, etc., but it was a lot easier having a PV at my side. I rarely think about analogs anymore, and when I do, hitting the PV for a few draws sends those thoughts away quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread