RDA Why does the flavor suck on my RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got this Stillare rda and I can barely taste anything in it. I thought maybe I was getting vaper's tongue, but I let my gf try it and she said the same thing. The coil is lighting up evenly, it's about as close to the edge of the deck as I can get it without touching anything, I don't fully open my airholes, I'm not vaping super crazy low or high ( I keep it between 0.8 and 1.1 ohms) and I just don't get it. Her Volcano tank tastes better than my RDA, which is ridiculous.

Here are some pics. This is a 1 ohm coil wrapped on a 2mm screwdriver, wicked with organic cotton:

IMG_20141001_230841.jpg IMG_20141001_230948.jpg IMG_20141001_230812.jpg

Any advice? Need any more pics? This is highly annoying and is making me go back to cigs. I understand that the Stillare is more of a cloud machine than for flavor but it's kind of ridiculous when a BCC tank is giving better flavor.

jimkipila

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
Pontiac, mi
Looks like a nice build. Hmm. Try a little less cotton? Maybe some different juice? I don't get .... for flavor out of my stillare either to be honest. 1ohm dual coil on a mech mod heats up insanely slow. Might not be able to taste a lot if it's that cool and slow?

Try putting it on a VW mod
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lowered the coil and took a couple hits in different positions. Not a hell of a lot of difference, really. Ive tried less cotton than that and it gets burnt. Maybe Ill give it another shot with a little less once this is dry. Ive got 4 different DIY juices, they're all pretty muted compared to my gf's pen. No regulated device to try it on, just my Nemmy. Maybe this thing just sucks more than I thought?

The vapor is fine, TH is what it should be. This is a single coil BTW. Maybe I should do a dual at around 0.6-0.7? I'm not trying to really up my juice usage as I'm pretty broke, but if it keeps me off cigs it'll be worth it. Sad thing is that it's more expensive than the RYO I smoked for $7 per carton.

As soon as I have some spare cash I'm getting a new top cap for my TOBH (and some fatter O-rings so I don't lose it again) and a cheap Magma clone. Maybe that'll help.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I lowered the coil and took a couple hits in different positions. Not a hell of a lot of difference, really. Ive tried less cotton than that and it gets burnt. Maybe Ill give it another shot with a little less once this is dry. Ive got 4 different DIY juices, they're all pretty muted compared to my gf's pen. No regulated device to try it on, just my Nemmy. Maybe this thing just sucks more than I thought?

The vapor is fine, TH is what it should be. This is a single coil BTW. Maybe I should do a dual at around 0.6-0.7? I'm not trying to really up my juice usage as I'm pretty broke, but if it keeps me off cigs it'll be worth it. Sad thing is that it's more expensive than the RYO I smoked for $7 per carton.

As soon as I have some spare cash I'm getting a new top cap for my TOBH (and some fatter O-rings so I don't lose it again) and a cheap Magma clone. Maybe that'll help.

No; raise the coil not lower it;

adding a second coil won't help until you get the first coil right.

once you figure it out the first time it'll become easier; you'll figure it out.

just imagine the airflow

So as I was fiddling with placement I managed to snap the leg off. Rebuilt it with a 1.1 ohm 1.4mm single coil. I played around and got it about as optimal as I can, which still isn't great (or even what I'd consider good) but it works.

I've got 2 different batteries, both 18650 - one 30 (or is it 20?) amp MNKE and one 10 amp red Efest. I don't really wanna get below about 0.6 or so, as the math I did says that about 0.4 ohms would push my Efest near its' 10 amp limit and as I said, I'm not a cloud chaser by any means. Since I only have 1 working atomizer and those 2 batteries, I stay in the limits of the Efest since its limit is lower.

I may hit up my local B&M and see if they can tell me anything. If a picture is worth a thousand words, seeing it in real life is worth shutting up and listening to someome who knows more than I, lol.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I don't own a Stillare, but from the pics I've seen, this is intended as a dual coil atomizer, meaning that it has airflow on both sides. I don't see from pics that it is configurable for single coil operation. I could be wrong....

That being the case, your drawing in air from the other side where there's no coil. Try covering it and see if the flavor improves.

I definitely don't need it at 0.5 ohm. Thats way too hot for my tastes. I sat & tried to do dual coils for about an hour today and the cheap-... screws on my Angelcigs clone kept breaking my wire. I won't be buying from them again.

I did manage to get a single on there at 0.9 ohm and taped off the second hole. That helped, but it's still not great. My local B&M has a Magma clone though, so I'm just gonna snatch that up.

Make an authentic that doesn't cost $50-100 for the simplest machine I've ever seen and has the features I want and I'll buy it. Some of us are poor.

I personally think spending $300 on a tube with a spring, a battery and a simple RDA is outrageous. There is no reason in the world to charge that much, especially when most equipment isn't even really that different from one another.

xcrazydx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
United States
Make an authentic that doesn't cost $50-100 for the simplest machine I've ever seen and has the features I want and I'll buy it. Some of us are poor.

I personally think spending $300 on a tube with a spring, a battery and a simple RDA is outrageous. There is no reason in the world to charge that much, especially when most equipment isn't even really that different from one another.

Cool, keep buying junk Chinese stuff.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I did, and the flavor is a little better now. I honestly don't see how it wasn't lined up before, it looked to me like it was, but I did it anyway just a tiny bit at a time, took a hit, nudged it a bit more, took a hit, etc. I got it just to the point where it was getting a little harsh then nudged it back down. I still don't think I'm satisfied with this RDA, but I think I've got it about optimal. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread