Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
Hello I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. I dont know if it has been posted before just to many threads to go through to see.

I have been reading a lot of threads since i joined. And this place has more to read then any one person has the time to go through it all. So here are my thoughts.

The one thing i see a lot of in the posts i've read is how to stealth vape, the fears the masses have and basicly the conflicting opinions about being in the closet about vaping.

IMO i think the part that causes the fear is the word "Cigarette".

Why do we have to call all items that deliver vapor an "E-Cigarette"?

Now the cig alikes i can see with that name but anything else should not be called that. I mean they dont look anything like a cig, they dont put off the smoke like a cig. What they do is vaporize liquid like a humidifier. So why cant we just call anything that isnt a cig alike just a plain old "Personal Vaporizer" period.

I think if we could all come together and change the idea that what we are using is a personal Vaporizer like a humidifier, the better off we would be. And stop calling or refering to any PV or MOD as an "E-Cigarette" because they are not a cigarette. We know they arent but the masses wont look at it that way as long as that word "cigarette" is inclusive with what we use and refer to it as. Everyone knows what a humidifier is and how it helps people. I just think Personal Vaporizer would be an easier pill for them to swallow.

Whats your thoughts?

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I think the 'damage' has been done and they will forever be known as e-cigarettes. Non-users & the media are going to keep referring to them as such and dig the hole deeper.

For simplicity I still introduce people to my gear as an e-cigarette. You say vaporizer and they think its for an illegal substance (9/10 ask me if thats what I'm doing).

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
I think the 'damage' has been done and they will forever be known as e-cigarettes. Non-users & the media are going to keep referring to them as such and dig the hole deeper.

For simplicity I still introduce people to my gear as an e-cigarette. You say vaporizer and they think its for an illegal substance (9/10 ask me if thats what I'm doing).

That debate has been going on for a long time. PV or Personal Vaporizer is a better name for it, but the early models looked like cigarettes and hence were called e-cigarettes. That name has stuck and for better or for worse, that's what it's called by the majority.

I hear where your comming from but if we want change we need to be the instraments of that change. If we just sit back and dont do anything to change this then it will never change.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I agree & like the term PV much better but I find that most people are dumb to the whole ecig/pv world. When I say PV they have no idea what what I'm talking about. Smh. Most people I know use blu or green smoke. So when I try to explain it I always have to come back to the term ecig. And then they say...well that doesn't look like any ecig I've seen. Uggggh

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think the vast majority of vapers use the cig-a-likes and will keep spreading and commonizing the term. I personally don't see a problem with using the term for a cig-a-like since that's basically what it is. But I don't use them and shy away from calling mine an e-cig as it in no way resembles one. I just say vaporizer.

Cil

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
UK
Missed a trick at the inception of PV's although they were and still are targeted at smokers changing to something that fits the harm
Reduction label, so to call them e-cigs fits the bill.

Just hate that we are grouped together, causes a lot of problems with the close minded anti
smoking brigade. Stuff 'em if they want to help then do some research.

zyglrox

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Florida
I've just been telling people that calling it an e-cig is like calling a bike a manual-motorcycle. They usually get that pretty easily... ...more easily than any basic explanation of how an e-cig works compared to a cig anyway. I only have to say one sentence this way.

I stole that comparison and altered it a little from a post in that older thread. I wish I could remember your username, whoever you are. That bike-motorcycle analogy is perfect on multiple levels.

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
I've just been telling people that calling it an e-cig is like calling a bike a manual-motorcycle.

Perfect! I usually call it a vaporizer, which always results in a blank look. Then I say, "You know what an e-cigarette is, right? That's what this is only better." You can see the lightbulb come on.

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
But thats exactly what it is a vaporizer. And though it might make explaining it troublesome I think its worth that trouble to get rid of all the hoopla around E-Cigs?

We have problems from all sides from those who dont understand and with those problems all of us are at risk of losing not those opposing us.

I just think a creative solution is neccessary. One that will make all sides happy. And we need the big wigs of the vaping community to pitch in as well if there was to be any change.

Thats why I started this thread in hopes someone would come up with a great idea that everyone could argee upon and stop all this BS the vaping community is being put through and everyone could be happy with.

Last edited:

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
I just think a creative solution is neccessary. One that will make all sides happy.

Thats why I started this thread in hopes someone would come up with a great idea that everyone could argee upon and stop all this BS the vaping community is being put through and everyone could be happy with.

I applaud your sentiment but all I can say is, "Good luck with that." I think it's on us to educate those who will listen, and ignore those whose minds are closed. The same applies to a lot of things.

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
I applaud your sentiment but all I can say is, "Good luck with that." I think it's on us to educate those who will listen, and ignore those whose minds are closed. The same applies to a lot of things.

Yes i agree its up to us individuals to educate those we encounter but its also up to the business's and forums to chip in. There is more power in numbers then small groups.

zyglrox

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Florida
I think it's a "one person at a time" deal. If we can reach a point where we are really out there... ...to the point where everyone knows at least one vaper or everyone at least knows someone who knows a vaper, I think we'll be a lot better off when it comes to finding our place within communities. I think there are enough of us out there that this will be feasible. Nobody would be on board with banning or opposing vaping if they only knew a few themselves.

We're just not all that accessible yet. It's not something that's commonplace in a lot of people's minds right now. Give it some time. If we just keep putting the good word out and showing people who we really are, what we're all about, and what vaping is doing for us, I think we'll be alright on the humanity front.

A person is more easily convinced of something by someone they know personally/have met than any detached news article. There is power in just having everyday conversations with people on the subject and taking the time to get some facts out there. Just talk to people like they are human beings. Even good vape media is just a presentation, no different from bad vape media. But talking to someone is more a visceral experience that is more memorable than all of the stuff we are bombarded with day after day. So, 'present' yourself as who you are and let people see the face of truth. It's nothing to be ashamed of, so don't act with a guilty conscience!

Of course, there will be those who will just never come around. You can lead a horse to water...

But let's not forget that this will all be meaningless if we're crushed by the monoliths that are big business and the government.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread