Why few TV commercials about E-Cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
tobacco cigarettes used to advertise all the time before they were banned from advertising on TV's and radios in the U.S. in 1971. Why haven't e-cig companies advertised in the media yet? I'm sick and tired of these anti-smoking commercials with the guy and his amputated leg and the woman with the hole in her throat. Those ads aren't effective, only disturbing and annoying. We need to give smokers a viable alternative, not scare them into trying to quit cold turkey.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
They're pretty limited as to what they can say about the product. They can't make any health benefit claims. There are a few radio commercials I've heard, and I think I remember someone posting a few months ago that they saw a TV ad for one of the subscription kit companies (the kind of e-cig outfit that charges you monthly and sends your refills for whatever device they sold you)

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
When I interviewed Jason Healy from Blu Cigs I asked him if they were going to start advertising on some of the major TV networks. He said some of the networks wouldn't allow e-cigarette commercials to be aired. Found that interesting.

That's what I was just about to say. I bet Lorillard will line someone's pocket to get their products on the air.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Eventually, we will see Blu e-cigs advertized on TV ...
However, not on CBS but Cable TV stations.

The major stations ... IE CBS won't air these commercials
for 2 primary reasons.

1. The public at large would go nuts if cigarette look-a-likes
were being advertized.

2. BP advertizes their FDA Approved gums, patches, and pills
and would threaten to pull their ads (money trail)

Don't look for ads on CBS ... Cable TV is another animal.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Right...what are they going to say on TV?
Well, the ones I saw stressed, "You can smoke anywhere." That seemed to be about the only advantage they can advertise but then we all know that's not exactly true either. Oh, and there's the idea that they are "Enjoyable." Hmmm.....

Okay, so they can say- "Not approved by the FDA," "Not proven to be effective." Etc, etc....hard to promote something and make an appeal when e-cigs are so limited in what can be stressed about them.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Other than the FDCA's longstanding ban on making therapeutic marketing claims for products that FDA hasn't approved as a drug or drug device, there are currently no federal laws regulating e-cigarette advertising.

But some electronic media outlets may have adopted a policy to not advertise e-cigarettes, which could probably be successfully challenged by an e-cigarette company in court (if an e-cigarette company chose to do so).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Since ecigs were classified as tobacco products, doesn't that prevent them from being advertised in public media? I remember seeing an ecig advertisement a year or two ago on TV. I think it was for Blu. That may have been before they were classified as tobacco products by the FDA.

I didn't know that they weren't restricted in media advertising. That's interesting.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Since ecigs were classified as tobacco products, doesn't that prevent them from being advertised in public media? I remember seeing an ecig advertisement a year or two ago on TV. I think it was for Blu. That may have been before they were classified as tobacco products by the FDA.

I didn't know that they weren't restricted in media advertising. That's interesting.

I don't think that they are classified as tobacco products (yet), but the FDA is trying to regulate them as tobacco products.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I don't think that they are classified as tobacco products (yet), but the FDA is trying to regulate them as tobacco products.
My understanding, and I would very much like to be corrected if I am wrong...

They are not classified as tobacco products yet.
But will be if the FDA issues the deeming regulations to apply Chapter IX of the FSPTCA to them.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are a lot of ecig ads on late night, cable/dish channels already that I have noticed. They are usually those scammy sites that offer free trials then hit your CC or way overpriced crap kits but they are making it out there. I'm sure the bigger networks are just turning them down.

I'm hearing a lot of radio ads now though for mom/pop vapor shops around :)

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
There are a lot of ecig ads on late night, cable/dish channels already that I have noticed. They are usually those scammy sites that offer free trials then hit your CC or way overpriced crap kits but they are making it out there. I'm sure the bigger networks are just turning them down.

I'm hearing a lot of radio ads now though for mom/pop vapor shops around :)

I wish that there were more "generic" e-cig ads with talking points like "you can smoke it anywhere" or "save thousands when you switch to vaping" or "no smell, no secondhand smoke."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread