why is a 510 atomizer called a 510?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f(x)'=cosx

Aug 27, 2011
Ohio
So Im winding down my research into electronic cigarettes for my engineering class, but one question remains unanswered. What determines the numbering system given to atomizers? For instance, why is a 510 called a 510? Why is a 306 called a 306? I can already see the visual and functional differences presented by these atomizers, but why is a number assigned to each one? If anyone can answer this, that would be great!!

CaptainMauzer

Oct 29, 2011
Illinois
I dont have a technical answer for you, but I believe it has something to do with the spacing of the threads (its a standard borrowed from some field of engineering i believe?)

Edit* here is some more in-depth information

Hi Nubee,

Okay, first things first: "Nomenclature Standardizations" - so here's the deal, there is no Nomenclature Standardizations in the e-cigarette world...

Now what this means is simple, but to understand it, let me give you a little example: "DVD-NTSC"
So here's what happens in every other industry - a group of manufactures gets together and makes an agreement called "A Commitment to Nomenclature Standardization" - it makes life easier for everyone... So, once this happened in the world of home entertainment, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc, can all use the name "DVD-NTSC" to refer to the same type of disc.

In other worlds, "DVD" isn't anyone's brand name, no one single person or group owns it, instead, it's a shared "Nomenclature" that tons of manufactures can use all referring to the same thing. Meaning, all DVD-NTSC discs work in all the different kinds of DVD-NTSC players...

Simple right? It happens in every major technology industry, it allows all the manufactures to make compatible products, and differentiate brands, nomenclature, and models - but it hasn't happened in the E-Cigarette world yet...

It a little confusing, but here's what has happened instead - "Attack of the Clones" . . .

So, 510 is a technical nomenclature for a specific 'external thread pitch' - but that term was borrowed from the hardware industry, where nomenclature is standardized...

Suddenly, companies started to use the 510 thread with different 'gaps' (spacing to the battery contact) so all of sudden, you've got two products labeled '510' that look like they should work together, but then they don't.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I can't confirm it, but the threads just happen to be the thread size that a particular manufacture designed into a model. A model 510 is a family of ecigs made by Joye. The eGo uses the same threads as the 510 for family compatibility. The KR-808 is made by another manufacturer and they chose a larger thread for the model 808. I don't think you will find that the threads meet any kind of spec other than standard metric thread sizes.

Thread sizes just allow a certain size battery to fit a certain sized atomizer so that the assembled parts are sleek and maintain the same diameter overall. Some manufacturers wanted their ecig to be fatter or slimmer.

This link addresses thread sizes from a standpoint of metric equivalents.

http://www.righttovape.com/index.php?topic=452.0;topicseen
801- M9 x .75

901- M8 x .75

510- M7 x .5

401- M7 x .5

The M number is the metric size and corresponds to threads per inch and diameter in U.S. measure. The decimal number is the length of the thread in centimeters. M7, M8, and M9 are standard metric bolt sizes that you can find in any hardware store.

Last edited:

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC
I need to try one of those one of these days, up there on my list with the io6!!!!

They both rock! If you're a HV vaper, I highly recommend the 3.0 ohm HH.357 long barrel - otherwise the 1.5 ohm HH.357 is pretty sweeeeet. I tried the i06 and I was very impressed but wasn't crazy about the proprietary drip-tip.

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
510, 306 are just the type of e-cigs made by joyetech. Actually there are many others, such as unpopular joye 302, joye 304. Common naming system in china ecig industry. Did you know that there are 306 auto batteries existed? Heaven gifts are still selling some part for joye 302, and still have some cartridges for 306.

Sent from my mind using my fingers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread