why is everyone on beating up on the 901?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Saying that the battery lasts 5-6 hours on a charge for you is not really helpful when how you use it is not also provided. Thousands of members have used the 901. Most consider it a good "beginner" PV. But the vast majority did NOT get even close to 5-6 hours of battery life from it. If a battery (RCR123a 1000mAh) typically gets about 6 -7 hours on a charge and it is 4 times more powerful that a 901 battery, how is it scientifically possible to get 6 hours from a 901????

The answer: it's not possible, with one exception. You are one of those very, very, light users who hit's it once every hour or so. For the vast majority, the 901 batteries last 1-2 hours.

You can not change the laws of science.

perhaps what you are typing is true ... like you said, for the vast majority. so, i shall leave it at this. i am happy with what THIS 901 set has done for my sense of non smoking sucess. if this is a beginner set, so be it. i dont' care. it works. it has kept me from buyng cigs which were killing me.

i guess i started this thread, as i didn't like the product that has worked so well for me, being put down, so to speak. and i do "hit it" quite a bit actually. i vape more at night, it comes off a charge around 6 and i am vaping until 2 am. first thing in the morning, i am vaping for another hour or so, then it needs to be charged. it takes under 3 hours to charge up. i love the vapour amount as well.

i have put out my point of view, as have others. i will stick with the 901 until, i guess, as many have pointed out, i will want to gravitate to another model.
:cool:

Alright wv2win, I'm going to flame you on this thread because I'm getting very tired of the gist of the majority of your posts that put down factory e-cigs, the way you talk down to people who use factory batteries, and your incessant insinuation that you must spend $150+ to have a "premier" vaping device! :mad:

First of all, before you talk trash to the OP (or anyone else) be prepared to back up your statements with verifiable facts and figures. While your logic could be sound, you need to have the numbers before you quote "the vast majority". Also, while I'm still learning (and don't expect it will ever stop), I most certainly do not consider myself a beginner, so your insinuation that the 901 is a "beginner PV" is completely out of line and wholey untrue.

Second, while it is good to suggest another model or even battery mods (either DIY or retail versions), stop trying to cram it down everyone's throat! Not everyone wants or needs it!

Third, what is your definition of "premier"?!?! According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of premier is "first in position, rank, or importance". This is a completely subjective adjective to the user. A premier vaping device/battery could very well be the factory version the user vapes with because it exactly meets his/her needs. Premier does not mean "largest", "highest voltage", "longest lasting", nor "most expensive".

If a user is happy and satisfied with their factory kit, then it might be the "premier" for that user. Your incessant insinuations that vapers need to purchase one of the large and expensive battery mods to truly experience vaping at it's best is ignorant and demeaning.....and down-right annoying!! :mad:

On a side-note, I will give you credit for not talking about users needing to switch to a "premier" device, like you so often do.

To the OP, I started with the 901 and have since tried several different models and several different voltages. I am admittedly a die-hard 901 fan since I feel it is the most reliable and does everything well (it doesn't do anything the best...just does everything well). I am fortunate to still be using the same set of atomizers since April-May which is part of the reason why I like the 901s. However, I have switched to battery mods for my in-house vaping and primarily use my factory batteries (both automatic and manual) when I go out in public. I have, at times, been bothered by the number of posts that suggest new users use the Joye-510 because it is just "so good". IMHO, the Joye-510 is a very good e-cig (I own one, myself) but it is not for everyone.....then again....neither is the DSE-901.

All e-cigs have their pluses and minuses. It is up to us, who have experience with these differences to make the proper suggestion to new users based upon what is the most important things to them. Whenever I talk to someone who would like assistance in choosing a model, I ask them to clarify the importance to them of flavor reproduction/taste, vapor production, throat hit, form factor, reliability, and battery life. Based upon their responses, I suggest models that would best meet those requirements.

Sorry to make this flame/rant so long, but to those who read this, I hope you will keep this in mind when trying to assist new users in choosing an e-cig for their first vaping experience.

Last edited:

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
I love my 901 though I confess to not loving it with the batteries. I use mine with a passthrough and it is hanging out of my mouth darn near all day. Great flavor, great vapor! On the batteries - the draw gets harder and I prefer to deal with my 801. My 801 is my newest and it has become my go-to device. The battery life is great and I love the coolness and flavor of the vapor. For a power hit, I grab my 510 (it is what I use in the AM). So for me, they all have their place.

+1 Dead on, PhoenixRising! They all have their place. :thumb:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Alright wv2win, I'm going to flame you on this thread because I'm getting very tired of the gist of the majority of your posts that put down factory e-cigs, the way you talk down to people who use factory batteries, and your incessant insinuation that you must spend $150+ to have a "premier" vaping device! :mad:

First of all, before you talk trash to the OP (or anyone else) be prepared to back up your statements with verifiable facts and figures. While your logic could be sound, you need to have the numbers before you quote "the vast majority". Also, while I'm still learning (and don't expect it will ever stop), I most certainly do not consider myself a beginner, so your insinuation that the 901 is a "beginner PV" is completely out of line and wholey untrue.

Second, while it is good to suggest another model or even battery mods (either DIY or retail versions), stop trying to cram it down everyone's throat! Not everyone wants or needs it!

Third, what is your definition of "premier"?!?! According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of premier is "first in position, rank, or importance". This is a completely subjective adjective to the user. A premier vaping device/battery could very well be the factory version the user vapes with because it exactly meets his/her needs. Premier does not mean "largest", "highest voltage", "longest lasting", nor "most expensive".

If a user is happy and satisfied with their factory kit, then it might be the "premier" for that user. Your incessant insinuations that vapers need to purchase one of the large and expensive battery mods to truly experience vaping at it's best is ignorant and demeaning.....and down-right annoying!! :mad:

On a side-note, I will give you credit for not talking about users needing to switch to a "premier" device, like you so often do.

To the OP, I started with the 901 and have since tried several different models and several different voltages. I am admittedly a die-hard 901 fan since I feel it is the most reliable and does everything well (it doesn't do anything the best...just does everything well). I am fortunate to still be using the same set of atomizers since April-May which is part of the reason why I like the 901s. However, I have switched to battery mods for my in-house vaping and primarily use my factory batteries (both automatic and manual) when I go out in public. I have, at times, been bothered by the number of posts that suggest new users use the Joye-510 because it is just "so good". IMHO, the Joye-510 is a very good e-cig (I own one, myself) but it is not for everyone.....then again....neither is the DSE-901.

All e-cigs have their pluses and minuses. It is up to us, who have experience with these differences to make the proper suggestion to new users based upon what is the most important things to them. Whenever I talk to someone who would like assistance in choosing a model, I ask them to clarify the importance to them of flavor reproduction/taste, vapor production, throat hit, form factor, reliability, and battery life. Based upon their responses, I suggest models that would best meet those requirements.

Sorry to make this flame/rant so long, but to those who read this, I hope you will keep this in mind when trying to assist new users in choosing an e-cig for their first vaping experience.

I don't like liars or flamers who don't have the intelligence to know what they are talking about and you are both. By jumping on me about a very misleading post concerning battery duration, you are agreeing that you can get 6-7 hours run time on DSE901 factory batteries as you call them. And I correctly pointed out there is only one way to do that and that is by barely using it. I didn't cram anything down the OP's throat and unlike you, I don't lie or BS new users into thinking they can get 6-7 hours of battery life on a 901.

You also have no electrical, mechanical or engineering education because you clearing don't understand battery science. So try educating yourself before you open your pie-hole again.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I don't like liars or flamers who don't have the intelligence to know what they are talking about and you are both. By jumping on me about a very misleading post concerning battery duration, you are agreeing that you can get 6-7 hours run time on DSE901 factory batteries as you call them. And I correctly pointed out there is only one way to do that and that is by barely using it. I didn't cram anything down the OP's throat and unlike you, I don't lie or BS new users into thinking they can get 6-7 hours of battery life on a 901.

You also have no electrical, mechanical or engineering education because you clearing don't understand battery science. So try educating yourself before you open your pie-hole again.

It not exactly "battery science" that some people don't hit these things as hard as others. For some people a pack of cigarettes would get them through a week even though for me it would get me to 5pm. You don't need a degree in the smoldering sciences to figure out they just smoked less and I wouldn't have called them liars. I agree time on a battery is meaningless in this area. Puff count is a better measure or at the very least a comparative description such as the 901 last 178 hrs as compared to 150 hrs for the 510.
I think the point they were trying to make was that some folks don't seem to understand that experiences and habits vary and that it is an annoying and richard headed poster who enters every thread telling people what they need rather than answering their questions.
For example:
Q: Why is my charger acting funny
A: Buy a big battery Mod or you are a foolish noob
Q: Which tobacco flavored liquid is the best?
A: Buy a big battery mod or you are a foolish noob
Q: What do you use as a carrying case?
A: Buy a big battery mod or you are a foolish noob

are all hyperbolic examples of useless and annoying interactions often witnessed on this forum.
Cheers. I will sit back and eat popcorn now.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I started with a kr808..I think, a Smoking Everywhere type but at half the cost. I kept it a week and returned it and got a 901. I love it..short battery life and all! I am thinking of getting the manual batts because I like the 901 passthru manual. I also have a NicoStick..with a 901 atty. Love it too!
I don't like or need throat hits, More power or bigger and better mods. That's just me though..I am a wimp!
As long as I can use the 901 to stay off analogs, I am a happy camper.:D
I vape all the time and get 3 hours off a batt. 3 months off an atty.

I leave the house with up to 10 901 units, carted with different flavors and a few extra carts in a carry case just in case. Nightly I'll have 2-3 dead batts so I charge them. Next day, same thing, a few more dead batts and the cycle continues. All have freshly filled carts but as the batteries die in rotation they get their charge as needed. Since early June I have lost 2 batteries and 2 atomizers. I vape a LOT. To each his own device and application.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
I think I got a faulty batch of attys and bats for my 901. The batteries don't last anywhere near 6 hours, 3 tops with slow vaping. The atty's are a bi**h to draw off of, I have to inhale like it's crack to get the auto switch to turn on. Personally, vaping shouldn't give you a headache from pulling in a drag, but that's what my 901 does.

The drags I do get are good vape production and throat hits but over all it's a poor substitute for my 510 manual.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
From someone who knows 901 batteries:

we measured them (901 batteries) at two hours when new.. lots and lots of them.. one hour after ones week of our type use and needing to be replaced after two weeks.. this applies to just one pair being used at a time..

the two hours when new is just about okay.. the fact with each charge they last a little less is the problem..

using the normal worn out at 80% of original capacity time to replace factor they most certainly are not good for 200 charge/recharge cycles..

treat these things as semi disposable items.. because when used all day and every day thats is exactly what they are...

buy then cheap..chuck them often.. and dont try and expect then to do things they cant do..

trog

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Another long time member on the battery life of the 901:

The best way to get longer battery life is to follow this simple procedure. You may even get 4-8 hours per battery!

1) Vape

2) Wait two hours

3) Vape again

4) Wait two hours

5) Repeat until light starts to blink.

--Prof Daffy

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
to the guys "discussing" 901 battery life.

we all know that the 901 is not exactly great when it comes to long lasting batteries but to say that a person could not get x amount of hours out of it is a little dismissive in my opinion as i dont think that you have taken into account the length of time that a person inhales.

example:-

i personally can probably get around 2 - 3 hours of moderate use out of a fully charged 901 battery..............but i always take 5 second long inhales

so if a person took exactly the same amount of drags as what i did BUT only took 2 second long inhales then surely that would mean in theory their battery could last twice as long...................correct?

im not saying the above is 100% accurate or true but i definitely feel its worth consideration before saying someone is talking BS because they say that they get good battery life!

im not a battery expert, i just vape the things............so please politely correct me if ive made a fundemental error in my example! lol :)

cheers,

scott

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
to the guys "discussing" 901 battery life.

we all know that the 901 is not exactly great when it comes to long lasting batteries but to say that a person could not get x amount of hours out of it is a little dismissive in my opinion as i dont think that you have taken into account the length of time that a person inhales.

example:-

i personally can probably get around 2 - 3 hours of moderate use out of a fully charged 901 battery..............but i always take 5 second long inhales

so if a person took exactly the same amount of drags as what i did BUT only took 2 second long inhales then surely that would mean in theory their battery could last twice as long...................correct?

im not saying the above is 100% accurate or true but i definitely feel its worth consideration before saying someone is talking BS because they say that they get good battery life!

im not a battery expert, i just vape the things............so please politely correct me if ive made a fundemental error in my example! lol :)

cheers,

scott

I agree with you completely. My only point initially is someone stating they can get 6-7 hours on a 901 battery is misleading to new members if you don't qualify how you vape and do so with some specificity.

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
I agree with you completely. My only point initially is someone stating they can get 6-7 hours on a 901 battery is misleading to new members if you don't qualify how you vape and do so with some specificity.

yeah sorry mate, didnt see that part of your post.

on a slightly different note, i have a guy who has written to me several times who is adament that he gets 18 hours of all day heavy vaping out of a 801 battery! 8-o

i told him he must be VERY lucky! lol

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Love my 901! I even like the regular batteries at times. I have the PS PTs and the Prodigy, but use the batteries (manual) a lot. D/H uses the auto and likes them better! We were both heavy smokers (1.5 - 2 packs/day) and use the PV accordingly. I have cut back to AM smoke and 1 to 2 during the day...hubby still uses the PV only as a sub sometimes. My batts on the 901 typically last 2 hours or so but recharge in about the same amount of time if I am at home and can vape at will. When out, 2 batts will last all day. I have been vaping for about a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread