The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

why is everyone on beating up on the 901?

Discussion in 'DSE 901/b *Mini*' started by mlady, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mtobey

mtobey Full Member

Mar 24, 2010
    California
    Where'd you get your batteries?

2. ezmoose

ezmoose Guest

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    I like the DSE901 atomizers. The standard (180mah) batteries supplied with a DSE901 Starter Kit don't last very long. This is easily rectified by:
    1. Upgrading to the Mega-Batteries
    2. Purchasing a Screwdriver (Uses the DSE901 Atomizer but has a Long Lasting Battery)
    3. Buying a USB Passthrough
    4. Designing a Mod of Your Own

3. CaminoDiablo

CaminoDiablo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2010
    East Pembroke NY
    My batteries last for a good 6 hours and I'm hitting it about 10 - 15 times an hour. Maybe it depends on the batch of batteries they had on hand at the time. Maybe I just got a good batch. All I know is I'm very happy with mine.

4. justboringsarah

justboringsarah Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    IN
    I vape a lot(I have a hard time putting mine down),and my batteries last me about 6hrs.
    I have a couple KR808s too,but I actually prefer my 901s. I've had great luck with the longevity of my batteries and attys,they are all almost a month old and I've had zero issues

5. ThePuck

ThePuck Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Hillsboro, Ohio USA
    I'm not trying to hijack anything here but just to prove that a 901 can do as good or better than a 510 as far as vapor production, build one of these box mods.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/106016-how-build-puck.html

It's cheap (< 10 bucks), the batteries last me 24 hours (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less). Batteries can be bought in any grocery or department store (rechargable AAA nimhs). You can get enough vapor out of this to choke you if you like.

I have built many for my friends and they will agree, I'm not blowing smoke here. With this battery mod, you will kick yourself for not trying it sooner. You will love your 901 atomizer and the 510 cannot even compare to the amount of vapor and flavor. I know, I have 510s also.

I've been trying to tell people about this for a long time. Some listen, some don't believe it. Some want to modify it which defeats the purpose. This configuration of the 4.8 volts and the 901 are the perfect fit and match.

It runs about 4.8 volts max and with a 901 atomizer running 3 to 3.2 ohms, your hitting 7 watts which is perfect for vapor production and flavor. Over 7 watts and you get hot vapor, less flavor.

Don't knock this until you build yourself one and try it. I use nothing else since I came up with it and you will see why if you build yourself one. Do not substitute a 510 into the design. It doesn't work as well due to the resistance of the 510 atomizer. If you use a 901, it will do exactly as I say.

I gave you a full tutorial with step by step photos so you can build one yourself. Give it a try and you will be a believer in the 901 atomizer.
    I wouldn't be pushing this if I didn't like it so well.
    Seriously!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/105465-now-puck-cheap-parts-easy.html

6. ezmoose

ezmoose Guest

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    Or you could convert an Audiovox Model GMRS602CH Mobile Hand-Held Radio into a vaping machine as I did. I'm using the original Push-To-Talk and Monitor Switches; either one will fire it up. I gutted most of the components on the board and did a little rewiring here and there to get it to work. I removed the antenna and used the hole from which it emerged for the battery connector/adapter; a KR808D-1 barrel with a 901 battery connector pressed into it. JB Weld holds it in place. It's powered by four AAA rechargeable NiCad batteries; the original power source for the radio. It hasn't failed me yet. I agree those 901's rock at 4.8 volts! In case you are wondering, I bought the radio at a Salvation Army Thrift Store for two-bucks and didn't charge myself for the labor! lol

Attached Files:

7. ThePuck

ThePuck Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Hillsboro, Ohio USA
    Way cool. I looked at one of those before as I have a few lying around. Long live battery life.. Long live flavor... LONG LIVE 901.

8. ToneLic

ToneLic Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2010
    NY
    I LOVE MY DSE 901! I have about 6 of them haha. I mainly use them as my "going out pv." I got an xhaler a couple weeks ago and my 901 atty works WAY better than the stock 510. My batteries usually last me close to 4 or 5 hours and only take about a half hour to charge. Definitely reliable to say the least.

9. Camp43

Camp43 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hhmmm, I don't want to get caught up in the flame wars here, but I would like put in little bit about my own experience with the 901. I started vaping on 510s and made a fairly normal progression from a 510 battery to an eGo to big battery mods. I just recently bought a couple of DSE 901 atties and an adapter so I could use them on my devices with the 510 connections.

I have to say I am really enjoying the 901 atty at 5 volts. I get a little less of a throat hit and plenty of vapor, but what really stands out is the flavor. For me at least, the flavor of the 901 is superior to the flavor of the 510. I have found myself going back and rediscovering juices with subtler flavor, like Green Tea from GRV and the tobaccos from Vaperite. For me the key is vaping the regular (DSE) 901 atties at 5 volts, I found that I need that much power for the 901 to produce enough vapor.

The 901 at 5 volts is an experience I would recomend anyone, beginner or not. The cheapest way to get to 5 volts that I have found is a 5 volt passthrough from Madvapes ($17). If you do not have a powerful gaming computer, I would recommend getting the 2 amp AC to USB adapter ($8.99) from them also. You need at least 2 amps power for your passthrough to vape at a true 5 volts and most USB hubs do not provide this. The nice thing about a passthrough is that there is no battery and you can vape as long as you want.

If you want to be mobile a relatively inexpensive 5 volt vape is the Big Kazoo from Kalamazoo Vapor Shop, $35 for the PV, $60 for the full kit. These are both 510 native devices so don't forget to pick up your adapter, a whopping $2.49 from madvapes. This also means you can try for yourself 510 atties and don't have to read through lengthy flame wars to find out what that experience is like.

10. dormouse

dormouse ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I already had a KR808D-1 (a shorty manual Vapor King frpm Vapor4Life) and decided to try a 901 normal atty on it because no adapter is needed. I tried the 901 atty with a drip tip first and it was a bit too airy but tasty. Then I finally ordered some carts at LiteCigUSA.net (where I also got the atty) and was surprised when they were whistle tips. And surprisingly I adore them. No need to purse your lips tight around something round - a simple relaxed closed mouth works fine. Drags are almost effortless with a manual battery. And though the vapor is a little bit airy I can get a lot of it with ease and it's very tasty. I was seduced by this atty. yum yums

I also have had no problems at all with the cart - same cart for over 2 weeks and not one leak, not one burnt taste of anything (unlike some PVs). Very nice and well-behaved.

11. jibblet

jibblet Full Member

Sep 28, 2011
    UK
    Epic thread!

I have yet to try the DSE901 or any other e-cig for that matter. Can't wait to get it in the post and see what all the fuss is about.

12. paulsonlaw

paulsonlaw Moved On

Jul 18, 2011
    Ohio
    and..... did ya get it?

13. jibblet

jibblet Full Member

Sep 28, 2011
    UK
    I got it and have been toking on it since it arrived. Am very happy with it, getting into a good routine for re-charing battieries and always have a bottle for topping up in my pocket.

Don't think I could ever get myself one of those big ones that look like a scredriver or a hard disc... Could definitely go for a pipe mod though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.