why is everyone on beating up on the 901?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
I like the DSE901 atomizers. The standard (180mah) batteries supplied with a DSE901 Starter Kit don't last very long. This is easily rectified by:
1. Upgrading to the Mega-Batteries
2. Purchasing a Screwdriver (Uses the DSE901 Atomizer but has a Long Lasting Battery)
3. Buying a USB Passthrough
4. Designing a Mod of Your Own

I'm not trying to hijack anything here but just to prove that a 901 can do as good or better than a 510 as far as vapor production, build one of these box mods.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/106016-how-build-puck.html

It's cheap (< 10 bucks), the batteries last me 24 hours (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less). Batteries can be bought in any grocery or department store (rechargable AAA nimhs). You can get enough vapor out of this to choke you if you like.

I have built many for my friends and they will agree, I'm not blowing smoke here. With this battery mod, you will kick yourself for not trying it sooner. You will love your 901 atomizer and the 510 cannot even compare to the amount of vapor and flavor. I know, I have 510s also.

I've been trying to tell people about this for a long time. Some listen, some don't believe it. Some want to modify it which defeats the purpose. This configuration of the 4.8 volts and the 901 are the perfect fit and match.

It runs about 4.8 volts max and with a 901 atomizer running 3 to 3.2 ohms, your hitting 7 watts which is perfect for vapor production and flavor. Over 7 watts and you get hot vapor, less flavor.

Don't knock this until you build yourself one and try it. I use nothing else since I came up with it and you will see why if you build yourself one. Do not substitute a 510 into the design. It doesn't work as well due to the resistance of the 510 atomizer. If you use a 901, it will do exactly as I say.

I gave you a full tutorial with step by step photos so you can build one yourself. Give it a try and you will be a believer in the 901 atomizer.
I wouldn't be pushing this if I didn't like it so well.
Seriously!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/105465-now-puck-cheap-parts-easy.html

ezmoose

Dec 18, 2009
USA
Or you could convert an Audiovox Model GMRS602CH Mobile Hand-Held Radio into a vaping machine as I did. I'm using the original Push-To-Talk and Monitor Switches; either one will fire it up. I gutted most of the components on the board and did a little rewiring here and there to get it to work. I removed the antenna and used the hole from which it emerged for the battery connector/adapter; a KR808D-1 barrel with a 901 battery connector pressed into it. JB Weld holds it in place. It's powered by four AAA rechargeable NiCad batteries; the original power source for the radio. It hasn't failed me yet. I agree those 901's rock at 4.8 volts! In case you are wondering, I bought the radio at a Salvation Army Thrift Store for two-bucks and didn't charge myself for the labor! lol

Attachments

• Audiovox-Mod.jpg
    Audiovox-Mod.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Or you could convert an Audiovox Model GMRS602CH Mobile Hand-Held Radio into a vaping machine as I did. I'm using the original Push-To-Talk and Monitor Switches; either one will fire it up. I gutted most of the components on the board and did a little rewiring here and there to get it to work. It hasn't failed me yet. It's powered by four AAA rechargeable NiCads; the original power source for the radio. I agree those 901's rock at 4.8 volts! In case you are wondering, I bought the radio at a Salvation Army Thrift Store for two-bucks! lol

Way cool. I looked at one of those before as I have a few lying around. Long live battery life.. Long live flavor... LONG LIVE 901.

Camp43

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hhmmm, I don't want to get caught up in the flame wars here, but I would like put in little bit about my own experience with the 901. I started vaping on 510s and made a fairly normal progression from a 510 battery to an eGo to big battery mods. I just recently bought a couple of DSE 901 atties and an adapter so I could use them on my devices with the 510 connections.

I have to say I am really enjoying the 901 atty at 5 volts. I get a little less of a throat hit and plenty of vapor, but what really stands out is the flavor. For me at least, the flavor of the 901 is superior to the flavor of the 510. I have found myself going back and rediscovering juices with subtler flavor, like Green Tea from GRV and the tobaccos from Vaperite. For me the key is vaping the regular (DSE) 901 atties at 5 volts, I found that I need that much power for the 901 to produce enough vapor.

The 901 at 5 volts is an experience I would recomend anyone, beginner or not. The cheapest way to get to 5 volts that I have found is a 5 volt passthrough from Madvapes ($17). If you do not have a powerful gaming computer, I would recommend getting the 2 amp AC to USB adapter ($8.99) from them also. You need at least 2 amps power for your passthrough to vape at a true 5 volts and most USB hubs do not provide this. The nice thing about a passthrough is that there is no battery and you can vape as long as you want.

If you want to be mobile a relatively inexpensive 5 volt vape is the Big Kazoo from Kalamazoo Vapor Shop, $35 for the PV, $60 for the full kit. These are both 510 native devices so don't forget to pick up your adapter, a whopping $2.49 from madvapes. This also means you can try for yourself 510 atties and don't have to read through lengthy flame wars to find out what that experience is like.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I already had a KR808D-1 (a shorty manual Vapor King frpm Vapor4Life) and decided to try a 901 normal atty on it because no adapter is needed. I tried the 901 atty with a drip tip first and it was a bit too airy but tasty. Then I finally ordered some carts at LiteCigUSA.net (where I also got the atty) and was surprised when they were whistle tips. And surprisingly I adore them. No need to purse your lips tight around something round - a simple relaxed closed mouth works fine. Drags are almost effortless with a manual battery. And though the vapor is a little bit airy I can get a lot of it with ease and it's very tasty. I was seduced by this atty. yum yums

I also have had no problems at all with the cart - same cart for over 2 weeks and not one leak, not one burnt taste of anything (unlike some PVs). Very nice and well-behaved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread