why is everyone on beating up on the 901?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I've just recently fallen in love with the 901. I really like it, and it fills a certain void nothing else fills. That being said, I've had one 801 die, zero 510's, zero RN4081's, and friggin FIVE 901's despite barely using them a month now. So they seem to be a little less durable, and more touchy/fussy than the other ones I use. That being said, I love em and will keep buying them even if I lose one a week.

firefae

Sep 3, 2009
Ohio, USA
hi, I am brand new here and I know this isn't the perfect thread for this, so pardon me, please.
I am looking to replace my nasty, smelly smoking habit that my friends and coworkers snub me for. This place is full of great information, but also full of a lot of jargon that I'm kind of lost on and a whole lot of conflicting opinions.
Anywho, I smoke pall mall full flavors, and am looking to replace them with a relatively inexpensive and idiot proof starter kit. (is there such a thing?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and the more layman's terms, the better ^_^

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
hi, I am brand new here and I know this isn't the perfect thread for this, so pardon me, please.
I am looking to replace my nasty, smelly smoking habit that my friends and coworkers snub me for. This place is full of great information, but also full of a lot of jargon that I'm kind of lost on and a whole lot of conflicting opinions.
Anywho, I smoke pall mall full flavors, and am looking to replace them with a relatively inexpensive and idiot proof starter kit. (is there such a thing?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and the more layman's terms, the better ^_^

firefae, I'll start w/ the same questions I ask everyone else who asks for advice (I gotta start saving this so I can just cut and paste!): please tell us what is the most important to you/how you would rate the importance of the following areas when considering an e-cig: form factor (as in how close to looking like a real cigarette do you need it to be); battery life, throat hit (as in how much you need to feel it in your throat when you inhale); vapor production (how important is it to see billowing clouds of "smoke" when you exhale); flavor reproduction; do you care if it is a manual (must depress a button to activate) or automatic (just put it to your lips and draw on it)?

Also, if you haven't looked at this thread yet, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with this primer for new users: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...buying-using-electronic-cigarette-primer.html

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
you care if it is a manual (must depress a button to activate) or automatic (just put it to your lips and draw on it)?

How can a new member answer that question without more information? They can't ofcourse. If you have never used a PV, your thought would be that an auto would be just like smoking. And those who are honest would not put the difference between a manual and an auto switch in those terms and just leave it at that. Just pure slanted BS that is not helpful to a non experienced member.

firefae

Sep 3, 2009
Ohio, USA
firefae, I'll start w/ the same questions I ask everyone else who asks for advice (I gotta start saving this so I can just cut and paste!): please tell us what is the most important to you/how you would rate the importance of the following areas when considering an e-cig: form factor (as in how close to looking like a real cigarette do you need it to be); battery life, throat hit (as in how much you need to feel it in your throat when you inhale); vapor production (how important is it to see billowing clouds of "smoke" when you exhale); flavor reproduction; do you care if it is a manual (must depress a button to activate) or automatic (just put it to your lips and draw on it)?

wow, I feel stupid for not finding this post sooner, because it was terribly helpful. In fact, I thank you immensely for pointing me in its direction.
I will answer your questions, then tell you which one I am thinking about, and then could you tell me if it's a good/bad choice for me?
From reading that post, I think I want a manual battery. It seems like it will be worth getting used to to feel like a real drag. I guess I want it to "feel" like smoking, you know, the good cloud and the way it feels in your throat. I want the battery to last through a decent night of partying every once in a while, but mostly to hang out in my purse and be ready for me when I get off work. I don't care much if it looks like a real cigarette, but I think it would be nice if it were about the same size. And I am kind of picky about how my cigarettes taste, but I think I will have to just experiment in that regard.
I am thinking about the JOYE510. Is it a good place to start?

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
As one of the people who doesn't even really like the 510, I would say it is a good place to start for a couple of reasons. Basically, every kit has 3 parts that you will be replacing as they wear out anyway and 510 gives you some good options. The 3 parts all have a couple of options. Batteries are automatic or manual; big or small. Atomizers are recessed or exposed and carts are also recessed or exposed (usually the opposite of the atomizer). For me it took some time plying around with the combinations until I found what I liked. The reason I think that the 510 is a good place to start is that it is common, it is becoming one of the standards for the big batteries (its stock batteries blow chunder so get a PCC at the very least), you can always get a 306 atomizer to try out an exposed atty if you want, and you can get an automatic 510 or use a 306 auto battery if you decide to try that. I know that sounds like a lot of 'maybe' additional purchases but you are going to be buying more batteries and atomizers down the road even if you find out the 510 is perfect for you and playing is fun. Also be certain to buy a couple bottles of liquid with your order.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
How can a new member answer that question without more information? They can't ofcourse. If you have never used a PV, your thought would be that an auto would be just like smoking. And those who are honest would not put the difference between a manual and an auto switch in those terms and just leave it at that. Just pure slanted BS that is not helpful to a non experienced member.

WTF are you ranting about?!?!? If you want to pick a fight with me, do it in a different venue or in PM. However, if you have a better suggestion on how to ask the question, than I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise, if you are only going to criticize without providing a useful resolution, all you are doing is wasting oxygen.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
wow, I feel stupid for not finding this post sooner, because it was terribly helpful. In fact, I thank you immensely for pointing me in its direction.
I will answer your questions, then tell you which one I am thinking about, and then could you tell me if it's a good/bad choice for me?
From reading that post, I think I want a manual battery. It seems like it will be worth getting used to to feel like a real drag. I guess I want it to "feel" like smoking, you know, the good cloud and the way it feels in your throat. I want the battery to last through a decent night of partying every once in a while, but mostly to hang out in my purse and be ready for me when I get off work. I don't care much if it looks like a real cigarette, but I think it would be nice if it were about the same size. And I am kind of picky about how my cigarettes taste, but I think I will have to just experiment in that regard.
I am thinking about the JOYE510. Is it a good place to start?

As one of the people who doesn't even really like the 510, I would say it is a good place to start for a couple of reasons. Basically, every kit has 3 parts that you will be replacing as they wear out anyway and 510 gives you some good options. The 3 parts all have a couple of options. Batteries are automatic or manual; big or small. Atomizers are recessed or exposed and carts are also recessed or exposed (usually the opposite of the atomizer). For me it took some time plying around with the combinations until I found what I liked. The reason I think that the 510 is a good place to start is that it is common, it is becoming one of the standards for the big batteries (its stock batteries blow chunder so get a PCC at the very least), you can always get a 306 atomizer to try out an exposed atty if you want, and you can get an automatic 510 or use a 306 auto battery if you decide to try that. I know that sounds like a lot of 'maybe' additional purchases but you are going to be buying more batteries and atomizers down the road even if you find out the 510 is perfect for you and playing is fun. Also be certain to buy a couple bottles of liquid with your order.

I think gatsby has provided some good suggestions (although it did sound a little complex to :rolleyes:) My only caveat would be that I find the throat hit in a 510 to be fairly intense (more than I, as a pack/day Marlboro Lights smoker wants). So, firefae will need to determine how strong of a throat hit will best suit her needs. Also, since the 510 atomizer runs hotter, it does tend to mute out the flavors that one vapes in it....I've seen some posts where people are either watering down, or adding extra flavoring into their juices to get the flavors to come through.

A second suggestion would be a manual DSE-901. It will provide you some better battery life than the 510, provide very good flavor reproduction, give you good (not great) throat hit, and good vapor reproduction.

If you opt for the 510, I definitely second gatsby's suggestion to make sure you purchase a PCC (portable charging case). This will help to offset the short battery life of the 510 and is also a nice tidy little piece of kit that will allow you to carry an extra atomizer and up to 3 cartridges.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.........My only caveat would be that I find the throat hit in a 510 to be fairly intense (more than I, as a pack/day Marlboro Lights smoker wants). So, firefae will need to determine how strong of a throat hit will best suit her needs. Also, since the 510 atomizer runs hotter, it does tend to mute out the flavors that one vapes in it....I've seen some posts where people are either watering down, or adding extra flavoring into their juices to get the flavors to come through.

Amazing, there must be 20 or 30 posts a day from people recommending the 510. And because you are about the only person who can't handle the throat hit, you are steering this person away from the most popular device on this forum. And if there actually was a post about watering down liquid, it was only one. But there are hundreds of post where members recommend the 510 as better than any small PV out there including the 901.

And if you think the throat hit in a 510 is too much for you, I can see why you are against the premiere devices that are 5 or 6 volt that so many members rave about. You are definitely the exception.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Amazing, there must be 20 or 30 posts a day from people recommending the 510. And because you are about the only person who can't handle the throat hit, you are steering this person away from the most popular device on this forum. And if there actually was a post about watering down liquid, it was only one. But there are hundreds of post where members recommend the 510 as better than any small PV out there including the 901.

And if you think the throat hit in a 510 is too much for you, I can see why you are against the premiere devices that are 5 or 6 volt that so many members rave about. You are definitely the exception.

What a petty pointless post. People look for different things some prefer flavor over throat hit. It should really be no sweat off you. I think TnA's suggestion to take your pee pee match to pm is a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC

I will begin by stating that usually, it's best to just let someone like you just waste oxygen since it's usually not worth the effort (and tends to fuel the fire), but I will make the exception this time and let viewers draw their own conclusions:

Well...it would seem I have a new fan of my posts, since I see that you are going out of your way to stalk me and my posts and try to discredit anything I say. While a part of me should feel honored, strangely enough, I'm a little disturbed by your attention.

As for your initial statement about many people recommending the 510, I would not and do not disagree with the statement. However, as I've stated before, no PV is the perfect fit for everyone. So it is the wise user who will take the time to find out what the new user is looking for before suggesting a specific model. This not only benefits the user to insure he/she experiences the most positive experience right off the bat, but benefits all of us as a community of people who are trying to get away from analogs.

In addition, I do not steer people away from the 510 due to it's throat hit nor it's flavor reproduction. Instead, I try to parallel it with my own experience as an analog smoker so that a new user can better relate to what I experience as far as throat hit and use it to gauge whether the 510 is what they are looking for. Also, there are numerous posts in this forum about the flavor production and what "mods" people suggest to overcome this short-coming in the 510.....here are but just a few examples that I quickly came upon:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/32085-vapor-vs-taste.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/33211-best-cart-combo-taste.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/20515-510-best-atties-juice-2.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/33983-whistle-tips.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/31568-901-whistel-tip-cart-my-joye-510-a-3.html

As for your second statement, I would again suggest you visit the Webster-Merriam dictionary to understand the correct definition of "premier". Premier is an adjective that is completely subjective to the user. One user may find a super-mini model the "premier" because it suits his/her needs. Another user may find a $20 model to be the "premier" because again, it suits his/her needs. Your concept of "premier" being a device that operate at 5 to 6 volts (and costing over $100) is narrow and shallow-minded....but again....I'll leave it up to the viewers to make that determination.

Bottom line, there is no perfect PV for all users and I do not stick to any one model when making suggestions. However, on the same token, whenever a new person asks for any advice (whether it be which PV to choose or some issue/problem he/she is experiencing with a specific model) my automatic response is never to relate how "I remember when I was a noob and had that problem" nor to automatically state, "you need to go with a premier PV to solve all your problems".

Again, if you wish to provide useful responses to people's questions/concerns, I welcome them....but if you want to use a blanket statement of, "I remember when I was a noob and had that problem but now I use a premier device and have no problems", then perhaps you should hold your breath and wait 'til somebody asks you about your "premier" devices. Also, while your "premier" devices are specifically battery mods, please do not lose track of the fact that despite battery life and voltage, all of these discussion really tend to revolve around specific atomizers (as far as their flavor and vapor production) and the cartridges (as far as amount of liquid they can hold, how well they wick to the atomizer, and to a certain extent, how they may affect flavor reproduction).

Well....that's enough time and oxygen wasted on you, I think...so I will end this post here.

mlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2008
toronto
www.facebook.com
as the orginial poster, i find it interesting the conversations typed here are so heated.

i do like my 901. i like the way it feels, the way it inhales and the way that "little blue" lights up. i like watching the vape .... clouds of it .. so neat ...

i have had it a week and guess what? the battery is now only lasting 2 to 3 hours, taking 4 to 5 hours to charge... RRRRRRR!!

when i first started using the 901 i was using it as i would an anaolog. vaping for about 5 mins every 30 mins.

now, i am vaping every freakin second i get. it's like i can't get this thing out of my hand.

so i have two batt on back order, and i am thinking everyone is right. a passthrough might be the next thing i buy

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
perhaps what you are typing is true ... like you said, for the vast majority. so, i shall leave it at this. i am happy with what THIS 901 set has done for my sense of non smoking sucess. if this is a beginner set, so be it. i dont' care. it works. it has kept me from buyng cigs which were killing me.

i guess i started this thread, as i didn't like the product that has worked so well for me, being put down, so to speak. and i do "hit it" quite a bit actually. i vape more at night, it comes off a charge around 6 and i am vaping until 2 am. first thing in the morning, i am vaping for another hour or so, then it needs to be charged. it takes under 3 hours to charge up. i love the vapour amount as well.

i have put out my point of view, as have others. i will stick with the 901 until, i guess, as many have pointed out, i will want to gravitate to another model.
:cool:

Amen Sister!....occasionally you find someone whos just gotta nit pick your thread. Seems to be very few of those types here. Whatever helps them get through the day....hmnnn

Wow....IT got worse and I was only gone a few minutes. Dont sweat it Mlady..this lack of tact isnt that common in this forum.....just a few apples can spoil the whole bushel as they say

Last edited:

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
What a petty pointless post. People look for different things some prefer flavor over throat hit. It should really be no sweat off your nuts. I think TnA's suggestion to take your pee pee match to pm is a good one.

OMG.....that person is EVERYWHERE... .....ing and nagging about everyone and how theyre doing something wrong...what a pain.

I LOVE MY 901 and I'm fairly new to vaping (see ticker) but I smoked analogs for 35 years and for the last 15 or so I was a pack and a half a day smoker. SO I KNOW NICOTINE!!! Thats the bottom line in vaping anyway. I totally agree with you and TnA's view on this. Its sooooo individual as to what you want out of your ecig to make you happy. I'm gonna try an 801 cause I want more vapor AND batt time. But I will always use my 901 too.

Last edited:

VA Slim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2009
Boynton Bch., FL USA
I'm a 901 girl.....4 batts kept in rotation w/ 2 attys, 1 round cart every 24 hrs. w/ many flavors mixed, topped off. Haven't tried another model because this one just works for me. It isn't just about the throat hit, the flavor or necessarily the vapor (all important) but for "noobs" and for me, it's the way it feels to hold it and to continue our habit and rituals of smoking. I loved to smoke, now I love to vape. And, we must remember these are disposable. To get 2 mos. out of an atty. is a beautiful thing, if not, replace and move on. I have followed Spikey's advice....."keep extra parts people"......you will not regret it.

Splat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa

everyone has a preference and an opinion...why not let others have and express theirs?

I find your posts extremely categorical (i.e. your opinion is gospel). As a relative noob to vaping - and using both a 901 and 801 - I am extremely happy with both. My 901 battery lasts me from 8am to 2-3pm vaping regularly.

Why not just accept that people are looking for different things from their PVs? Not EVERYONE is looking for the big throat hit all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread