Why Johnsons Creek clogs atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
A difference might be -- might be -- that PG is actually healthier in that it can destroy some bacteria and viruses. That's what the World War II testing found and the Health New Zealand report cites. NonPG likely wouldn't have that benefit. For that reason alone, I will continue to use PG liquid and flavorings.

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
I have some great news. I don't know why I missed it - probably because I was coming at this from a different angle - but the NZ research *did* test for PO in the Ruyan vapour, and it was below 25 ppb in a 38 mL extraction. Unfortunately the test equipment used in this research couldn't handle the vapour from a 60mL extraction (which is established as a "usual" drag of a cigarette) and e-cigarette users tend to have longer draws than cigarette smokers. But...

According to the MDSS, while there is no established "safe" level, 20 ppm over 8 hour shift is the usual accepted exposure level. This is three orders of magnitude more than what was possibly in the 38mL puff.

I will get a back of an envelope and figure out a reasonable estimate for the upper bound conversion to ppm in 38mL of the 100ng found in the PG-laced cigarettes. There are a number of problems in this: we are comparing puffs to entire cigarettes of unspecified weight, and differing PG concentrations - hence the upper bound. I doubt it will be anything near 20 ppm, though.

While it's possible, I doubt e-liquid manufacturers get their PG from a dodgier source than cigarette companies.

I apologize for causing unnecessary concern.

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
I smoked a cigarette, and it took 12 puffs. Assuming 60mL per puff, that's 720mL.

According to the ideal gas law, at 25C and 1atm there are 0.72/24.45 mol in there.

The molecular mass of PO is ~58g / mol, so for 100ng that works out at 1.72e-9 mol, so 58.5 ppb in the 100ng cigarette.

The lowest PG content in the cigarettes was 1.7%, and making the worst case scenario assumption that this is the one with 100ng, the usual e-liquid has ~40 times this.

So assuming you get the same amount of vapour weight by weight in the e-cigarette as the regular cigarette (w/w) we should expect 2.4 ppm, which is still well below the 20 ppm threshold limit value. And I think this is a worst case scenario in which the PG in the cigarette was probably tainted.

Again, I apologize for causing unnecessary concern, and please correct me if I have miscalculated anything.

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
It's probably more the PG manufacturer who would be at fault than the e-liquid manufacturer. I think they have already gotten into trouble for diethylene glycol substitution. (From memory, it was only about 20% cheaper for them.. hehehe. cold.)

But yes, from those articles about dodgy manufacturers it does sound like a lot of people make these chemicals who don't really know what they're doing even if they mean no harm. I'm now pretty satisfied it's safe enough, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread