Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
Ok so I have a lot of ecigs and the thing I am still not getting is the love with these mech mods!? I thought there must be something I'm missing so I stupidly bought a k100 (which was a great price) and sure enough it didnt answer my question! Yes you can use sub ohm coils but an unregulated vape is so annoying. You get maybe an hour of the actual wattage/volt you like best. Why not just use anything above 1.2 ohms and vape whatever the heck wattage you want!?! Also I'm seeing on YouTube people vaping at 15+ watts, howwwwww??? I like a warm vape (which is why I can't vape bottom coils) but really how can you vape 15 watts and not killlllll your lungs or burn your mouth!?!

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
Because in 4 years of vaping I never had a truly great vape until I learned to build my own coils. As for vaping at 20 watts, airflow is the key. I've got a 1/16" hole in my igo s with a .8 microcoil of 26AWG kanthal and it gives me a thick smooth and almost cool vape, best I've ever had. Every E-cig I've had except my SID has been unregulated, to me it's just how things work, like driving a stick vs. an auto. If you can't handle a manual, stick w/ your minivan, want performance, get a sports car. Just remember it handles differently and takes a little thought to use to it's full potential.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/462925-mechanicals-rbas-myth-where-did-come.html

I'm like you, but I do prefer a more cooler vape. I build my own coils around 2.0 ohm for my RBA's. I bought my first AGA T2 rebuildable with all intentions of using it on my semi-mechanical Silver Bullet (it has an electrical switch and an amp limit, so not a true mechanical in the strictest sense). I didn't care for the low resistance coils. Too harsh for me. Built a 2 ohm - perfect.

I quickly found out that I preferred using my RBA's on my Provari's. Why not take advantage of variable voltage to adjust the voltage to each individual flavor or mood I'm in?

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
For one, Mechanicals are very durable and serviceable.
The amp limit is another reason.
I like to tailor my vape to my preference by building my coils. If you have the right batteries and set your coil up correctly then the voltage drop is not very noticeable till they get low.
I vape on 1.0-1.2ohm micro coils and get about 12 hours before I want to change batteries
Basically mechs offer more customization over VV devices.

As for the higher wattage vaping, they bore out their airholes and use thick wire which heats slower and has more surface area so its definitely warm but maybe not as harsh as you'd think.

My only mech is a REO, which is the tops if you like RDAs since its bottom fed. I love it.

I've still got my provari for everything else.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
For one, Mechanicals are very durable and serviceable.
The amp limit is another reason.
I like to tailor my vape to my preference by building my coils. If you have the right batteries and set your coil up correctly then the voltage drop is not very noticeable till they get low.
I vape on 1.0-1.2ohm micro coils and get about 12 hours before I want to change batteries
Basically mechs offer more customization over VV devices.

As for the higher wattage vaping, they bore out their airholes and use thick wire which heats slower and has more surface area so its definitely warm but maybe not as harsh as you'd think.

My only mech is a REO, which is the tops if you like RDAs since its bottom fed. I love it.

I've still got my provari for everything else.

That's my point though, a battery at full charge only puts out 4.2v then drops about .1v and hour give or take. So in 2 hours of vaping 1ohm you'd be vaping 1ohm at 4v which is only 4 amps which most vv/vw mods can handle now so then you don't even have to worry about the volt droppage. Idk guess it's I say tomato you say tamato. Just thought there was something I was missing lol

Coffin22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mechs are reliable no internal components to fail and because of no electrical components they're smaller for the battery size. (Aside from cleaning contacts) just because you don't like voltage dropping over time or whatnot doesn't mean were wrong it just means its not for you, I love my mechs and will never own vv again, I control my watts by coil and enjoy the shorter and did I mention they're gorgeous in comparison to all vvs I've seen? Reliability, smaller than vv counterparts , and nice on the eyes. You either love them or hate them. Personally since every vv device I've owned crapped the bed, I love the reliability of my mechs. To each his own, go with what suits your style and needs.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I certainly understand what you're saying. And I agree.. sorta. When I leave the house, a provari and a kayfun go with me. But when I am at home... 90% of my vaping is done on my Roller and DID...ss mesh at .8Ω I can get hours of quality vaping out of an 18650 batt. The best of both worlds :)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Definitely to each his own and I wasn't trying to step on any toes I was just wondering if there was a piece about them I was missing...

there is - and I dont see anyone who brought it up yet. the pure dc voltage to the coil. it makes the vapor smoother, so while 20 watts may seem high for someone used to a vape on a zmax (or whatever) there is no spiking or pulse modulation going on making it perceived as even hotter then it would feel or taste on a mech at the same output. the flat 4 volts (or whatever) actually makes a slightly different vapor. not to say a regulated is terrible. but my drippers just dont seem to give the same kick on a regulated device.

coincidentally besides reliability and accuracy, the higher, more filtered, smooth line of the provari is what also makes it different from the others. and without all the peaks you get more of a bacon frying type sizzle and less of a "buzz" or "rattle"

believe me. if you go back a year and search my posts I was in the same boat, I argued against the idea of a flat battery to no end, I could not see it, understand it or imagine ever wanting it. then I tried it and said meh its ok, as time went by I got better at building coils and different wicks, then tried again and went wow that is bada**.

now i have on with a kayfun set to .8 ohms and some seriously fat batteries. since i cant chain vape at work i get two days before i notice the drop off. there are a couple things i havent hit the magic setup for the mechs yet so they get the provari. but from genis to drippers it is simple a different vap and defnot for everyone, especially those that arent into rebuilding and taking the time to play and tune the builds for optimal performance on the mechanical device.

90% of my vaping is done on my Roller and DID.
Donna got a roller :D pretty sweet aint it?

Last edited:

Papadragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Omaha Nebraska
I only use mech mods yes I have to carry a. Back up batt but I say no big deal. I vaped today with. .7 ohm micro coil in my trident on my gp paps lux with a 18350 used 2 battery's and even at 3.4 volts when I change battery's it's still 14 watts so 2 battery's all day vaping above 15 watts on a Mod no bigger than my middle finger for me that's the point ! Good vape all day and I don't have to carry around. A huge mod to do it

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
there is - and I dont see anyone who brought it up yet. the pure dc voltage to the coil. it makes the vapor smoother, so while 20 watts may seem high for someone used to a vape on a zmax (or whatever) there is no spiking or pulse modulation going on making it perceived as even hotter then it would feel or taste on a mech at the same output. the flat 4 volts (or whatever) actually makes a slightly different vapor. not to say a regulated is terrible. but my drippers just dont seem to give the same kick on a regulated device.

coincidentally besides reliability and accuracy, the higher, more filtered, smooth line of the provari is what also makes it different from the others. and without all the peaks you get more of a bacon frying type sizzle and less of a "buzz" or "rattle"

believe me. if you go back a year and search my posts I was in the same boat, I argued against the idea of a flat battery to no end, I could not see it, understand it or imagine ever wanting it. then I tried it and said meh its ok, as time went by I got better at building coils and different wicks, then tried again and went wow that is bada**.

now i have on with a kayfun set to .8 ohms and some seriously fat batteries. since i cant chain vape at work i get two days before i notice the drop off. there are a couple things i havent hit the magic setup for the mechs yet so they get the provari. but from genis to drippers it is simple a different vap and defnot for everyone, especially those that arent into rebuilding and taking the time to play and tune the builds for optimal performance on the mechanical device.

Donna got a roller :D pretty sweet aint it?

Well that makes sense, I guess I just haven't found my sweet spot with the mech yet. I have an rda and built anywhere from .5ohms to 1.2ohms and just wasn't feelin it :/ I want to like it cause it is an inch smaller and wont look as much like a tool at the bar lol (ignorant people thinking I'm trying to look cool when really I just wanted to stop smoking!) Thanks for clearing it up a little though!

On a side not ever get the "well if you're not smoking cigarettes then why smoke that!" "Can't quit them both? Just smoke cigarettes then"

People are crazy! I can't stand cigarettes now and my lungs greatly appreciate it! I ask them if they drink coffee and when they say yea I say we'll nicotine is no worse than coffee then they say cigarettes kill you cause of nicotine SMH

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
it took me a while to find the right setup. sometimes its a simple think like changing ohms, wrapping style or wire guage.. sometimes it takes being creative with the wicking. in a lot of my drippers i ended up doubling the 3 mm wick i like to keep up and wow the vapor is headspinning and I can taste it for 10 minutes after i put the mod down.

On a side not ever get the "well if you're not smoking cigarettes then why smoke that!" "Can't quit them both? Just smoke cigarettes then"

LOL at almost 6'5'" and 255 Lbs not too many people get snippy with me (dont know why maybe the crazy long hair?)

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
it took me a while to find the right setup. sometimes its a simple think like changing ohms, wrapping style or wire guage.. sometimes it takes being creative with the wicking. in a lot of my drippers i ended up doubling the 3 mm wick i like to keep up and wow the vapor is headspinning and I can taste it for 10 minutes after i put the mod down.

LOL at almost 6'5'" and 255 Lbs not too many people get snippy with me (dont know why maybe the crazy long hair?)

Another thing I'm not understanding is the safety, to really like the size of a mech 18350 mode looks best but with an icr 900mah amp limit is 1.8amps and at .8ohms you're at over 4amps
And an aw 700mah is 7 amps? So Icr's are a no go?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Another thing I'm not understanding is the safety, to really like the size of a mech 18350 mode looks best but with an icr 900mah amp limit is 1.8amps and at .8ohms you're at over 4amps
this is an area im totally lost in, im a 650 person. never used anything else but you def need the imr's.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
The voltage dropoff is not as bad as you think... in fact, until my batteries get to about 3.7v, I have a hard time telling the difference. And it's still an incredibly satisfying vape until it gets below 3.6v, then around 3.5 it comes time for a charge. This is especially true for a mod with a low voltage drop. Even when I pop a 18500 in my Titan in the morning, vaping at about 0.8 - 1.0 ohms, I don't switch out until that night.

There's also an almost elegant satisfaction in getting everything set up right. With a VV/VW mod, it's just plug and chug. But with a mechanical, fine tuning is required. And just knowing that you can create a certain harmony from a system that is unregulated makes the vape oddly more enjoyable.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway

Was hoping someone would link the thread about IMR vs ICR which I don't seem to find at the moment...

*hint hint*

Concerning watts,
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/346216-watts-do-not-matter-its-all-about-wire-temp-read.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread