Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Sorry, not trying to be a dick, but at least for anyone new to vaping, I would not steer them toward a mech mod and probably not to an RDA, not to get started. They'll get there later if they want, but vaping already has a bad name, and when I read stories about people using vape devices being hurt, first question I ask is were they using a regulated device?

p.s. I screwed up that build. The coil was probably very close to the walls of the velocity RDA, not enough to show as a short when I built it, but closer than it needed to be. On a regulated mod user error like that generally causes no harm, the mod won't fire. I blame it on my user error, but user error happens. vaping is already under attack by the FDA, so anything that adds confidence it is safe works for me.

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Another thing that just struck me as interesting is that in 2014, I bought my first "real" mod. It was a ZMAX, and it had a maximum output of 10W. Of course, I already had my eye on 15W Provaris.
I was one of those guys stacking CR2's in my Silver Bullet for 6 volts somewhere around 2011. :thumbs:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I do have a beard. A big one, too, with no mustache. If I don't lift my head up pretty far, then you can't tell whether I shave my neck. I'm 5' 3", 170lb, and I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "burly".

I like purple. Fuschia, too.
Thank you, you just made my day. You don't need height for strong and burly. Love seeing stereotypes busted.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
People buy android phones and computers because it's the latest and greatest model and for most it's way more then what they will ever use or need, so vaping is no different. ...
Gee, I'm still running a 2013 moto g, purchased in 2014 on sale because it was 'outdated' ... most of my mods don't do wattage either (the ones that do are good for checking coil resistance though).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
False confidence and reliance on computers that can and do fail is worse than a healthy sense of risk.
I don't know that I agree with that.

Men are stubborn beasts. There is a common stereotype that they don't like to stop to ask for directions when lost, and they don't like reading owners manuals prior to using a new tool or device. It is safe to say that all of the mod explosion deaths have occured to young males using mechanical mods. It is also probably safe to say that those males were probably uninformed or not properly educated on the safe use of their mechs. Chances of a regulated mod exploding under similar circumstances are much less likely.

Too many people are jumping into mechanical mods without understanding what they are getting into and not realizing it is not a care-free device like an eGo or Provari. It requires more attention to details and a better understanding of all the variables. Too often people on forums say, " Mech mods are easy, just drop a battery in and go vape. I don't understand why others say it is not for beginners." The reason is because if you don't understand all the things you need to watch for there is a serious chance of something possibly going terribly wrong down the road. Education is key.

Mech mods are not learning devices. They need to be understood before you begin to experiment with them. So far most novices have been lucky. However, some people don't check the batteries they use, don't know what resistance their coils are, don't know how to work an Ohm's Law calculation, etc, and nothing has happened, giving a false sense of security to others to try the same things, but all it will take is one bad coil or one bad battery to change someone's face forever...or worse.

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the battery's operating limits. The high-end flashlights, ecigs, and RC toys come to mind as applications that really push the limits. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person, so a mishap is inconsequential pertaining to physical harm to the user. With e-cigs a mishap is literally in the person's face.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Nowadays you use a mech either because you just like it, or for some nostalgia.
Or because it is simply a good vaping solution, among many other good vaping solutions.
4.2 V is the EOC voltage, good for the first puff. The battery floats around 3.7 V most of the vaping time.
Kind of a myth that a typical lithium battery will "float around 3.7v most of the vaping time" --- look at the discharge curves on any of Mooch's battery tests, they don't level out anywhere. The first few tenth's of a volt go very quickly, and then it is a slower, but definite downward slope (and then a rapid decrease again near the end if you vape it that low). Unless you are talking LifePO4 chemistry, which does have a long flat discharge near the nominal voltage, but that voltage is 3.2/3.3v and not 3.6/3.7v (and works very well with an appropriate build, by the way).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
True, mechs are forever in the hands of a knowledgeable vaper. It's not a beginner's tool, though.
I agree, not for beginners.

I got my first mech four months after I started vaping, but it was fused with a 10A fuse element. I only ever blew the fuse once, when I mistakenly installed a nickel coil instead of the Kanthal I meant to use. :oops:

I've also designed and worked with serious power supplies in a previous life in the 1990s; equipment that made thousands of amps for industrial furnaces, so Ohm's Law was etched on the back eyelids long before I started vaping. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can have what you want by a) turning down your wattage and enjoying much longer battery life by using less powerful batteries with more run time,

There are plenty of overpriced underpowered things on the market with shoddy construction. But I'm sorry I'm not like, doing your research for you.

If you got a pico kit, the tank is probably way too cloudy for you. Buy a perfectly good MTL tank (I suggest a Nautilus 2S tank ,with the 1.8 coil and not too much airflow open and I think you will be Quite Fine.

There are many of us who vape in your wattage range, we just do our homework.

Anna

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
100%!

Every so often, it seems we get someone who goes off the deep end because some company has the unmitigated gall to make vape gear they don’t like!

Some months back, one person went on a rant about purple and rainbow. How dare they make girlie gear!!! It’s not like women vape or something!

How hard is it, really, for some people to live and let live? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s just that simple.
Bingo!!! Nail meet hammer... onomatopoeia.
You vape??? :lol:
I've been looking for a purple 1 of 1 Luna and STILL cannot find one. Guessing I was too late to the party for those. :confused: Maybe they'll pop a few up on their site.

I have purple mods, rainbow tanks, and I vape BVC 1.6/1.8ohm coil heads at 7W. Direct to lung.
Color ... what a concept. Right? Wait, what if all mods and atty's were only grey?
I still have a few Aspire ET-S tanks and some boxes of BVC 1.8 ohm coils. Those are great tanks IMO and they helped me get off the smokes and at 8 watts too. ;)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think the OP has a point to a degree, particularly about vape shops. I also walked into a high street shop after being away from the 'scene' for a bit. It's not that they sell higher wattage devices etc, that got me, it was the attitude that today's products are normal, and to be pushed on the customer.

Try finding 70/30 pg/vg juice. Nowadays 50/50 is considered thin. Try finding a mtl tank, try finding a narrow bore drip tip. Nowt wrong with what's on sale but it's not always what an experienced vaper wants and that kind of vaper can be met with some resistance when expressing their needs. In my experience anyway. Even pods and starter kits can be sub ohm and wide bore, which may not be what is desired.

The high street is pretty pants for vape gear in my experience. They have limited stock and will push what they have often, again in my experience, over selling a product to get the sale. I have no qualms describing some, not all, of the staff in these places as charlatans.

That said here I sit vaping on my Colossal 80w at 11.5w, using a Samsung 15a battery, and 1.5ohm coil in a Berserker with narrow bore drip tip. I didn't get any of it on the high street though.

My closest shop sells mostly Smok. But that’s just what the local shop sells, not some conspiracy by some unknown evil mastermind to screw everyone who wants something else. Things other than Smok are available elsewhere. And I have never once started a thread crying about that shop not selling AsMODus or Wotofo, because you know, other people want Smok. Let them have it. Ain’t cost me nothing, as the hick kids say.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
But us cigar smokers don't need a high powered mod with lots of bells and whistles. A good 30A battery and a metal tube with a 0.15ohm SS316L coil get the job done nicely, and has that cigar feel too.

Im definitely a mech head. I dont even know how many I got, lol. Fwiw, your .15 coil is about a 90 watt vape, depending on VD. LoL.

My all time Fav.....
IMG_20180130_214522.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Merely to point out that regulated mods can, and do, fail. Some people, like me, would rather know that if it will, it's our fault, and not that of some electronics made at the least possible cost.
That is your prerogative. I tend to think that human error or a chance distraction is more likely to occur than a chance electrical circuit failing...unless it happens to be a mod made by SMOK. ;)

I used to use both mechs and regulated mods. I use regulated mods exclusively now. Part of that reasoning is because I like to frequently change the settings of my mod which I couldn't easily do with my mechs. But the other part of that choice is because my regulated mods provide me with a layer of safety that my mechs can't provide.

I'm still cognizant of potential risks and still practice safe battery practices. Regulated mods are not "safe", just "safer".

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't know that I agree with that.

Men are funny beasts. There is a common stereotype that they don't like to stop to ask for directions when lost, and they don't like reading owners manuals prior to using a new device. It is safe to say that all of the mod explosion deaths have occured to young males using mechanical mods. It is also probably safe to say that those males were probably uninformed or not properly educated on the safe use of their mechs. Chances of a regulated mod exploding under similar circumstances are much less likely.

Too many people are jumping into mechanical mods without understanding what they are getting into and not realizing it is not a care-free device like an eGo or Provari. It requires more attention to details and a better understanding of all the variables. Too often people on forums say, " Mech mods are easy, just drop a battery in and go vape. I don't understand why others say it is not for beginners." The reason is because if you don't understand all the things you need to watch for there is a serious chance of something possibly going terribly wrong down the road.

Mech mods are not learning devices. They need to be understood before you begin to experiment with them. So far most novices have been lucky. However, some people don't check the batteries they use, don't know what resistance their coils are, don't know how to work an Ohm's Law calculation, etc, and nothing has happened, giving a false sense of security to others to try the same things, but all it will take is one bad coil or one bad battery to change someone's face forever...or worse.

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the battery's operating limits. The high-end flashlights, ecigs, and RC toys come to mind as applications that really push the limits. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person, so a mishap is inconsequential. With e-cigs a mishap is literally in the person's face.
While I agree I do believe sheer laziness to actually absorb and learn about mech usage is at the forefront concerning safety habits. The information is out there in abundance but how many have we seen that refuse to accept anything but the answer they want to hear.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Agreed, but I've never seen a mech blow up while charging, or auto fire due to bad circuitry.
I've witnessed batteries from a mech vent in a charger before and also witnessed a Cherry Bomber mech autofire while screwing on the RDA.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You could get a Kanger Pro Tank II that can use 1.8ohm, 2.2ohm, and 2.5ohm coil heads. It would run fine at 8W. Or less. I'm sure there are others, that's the only one I'm familiar with.
Hah! Those were what got me over the hump of that one last cigarette a day. But there are so many better choices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread