Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Ya know, one of the most popular beginner kits ever was the Kamry K100. Introduced in 2012, discontinued a few months ago. It was a carto on a mech. 18350/18650, and it came with one of each battery. 2.4ohms at 4V--we're rockin' at 7-8W, and our beginner is vaping away instead of playing with the controls. I've never heard of an incident with one, either. Which can't be said for eGo pens or built-in battery mods. A lot of folks here have never vaped a carto. They might be surprised by their output at 7W.

I'll stick a 1.2-1.6ohm coil head on a mech and tootle away--cool clouds. Giving a beginner a mech and some disposable 1.4ohm tanks is giving them a low hassle way to vape. Which is good, considering how many people stop vaping because they consider it to be too complicated and time consuming.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hey.. Listen Up .. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- ---> I was hoping this thread would die but.. I was a grumpy old fart in this post earlier but I have a new thought on the subject that I'd like addressed.. Mind you I am not Grumpy so all's good.

I notice something.. there is a trend to go up.. Way up past 85 watts for vaping off a metal coil I hear of 300 watt devices and This Terrifies me. The higher the wattage the more Parts Per Million of chemicals you create/release within the gas we call air that is already present. Is getting past a certain wattage a certain chemical density actually harmful to the body in the long run ?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.

- ---> I was hoping this thread would die but.. I was a grumpy old fart in this post earlier but I have a new thought on the subject that I'd like addressed.. Mind you I am not Grumpy so all's good.

I notice something.. there is a trend to go up.. Way up past 85 watts for vaping off a metal coil I hear of 300 watt devices and This Terrifies me. The higher the wattage the more Parts Per Million of chemicals you create/release within the gas we call air that is already present. Is getting past a certain wattage a certain chemical density actually harmful to the body in the long run ?
Wattage isn't directly correlated to heat. The size of the coil plays a roll. It takes far more wattage to get modern art hot than a simple round wire. Also, when I vape @230, I use TC.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Wattage isn't directly correlated to heat. The size of the coil plays a roll. It takes far more wattage to get modern art hot than a simple round wire. Also, when I vape @230, I use TC.

I assume the heat will max out at some point due to the limitations of the wire and grow to a certain area of radiation where which will be it's upper limit. The concern is the problems when you keep increasing that ( with any given coil size) .

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I assume the heat will max out at some point due to the limitations of the wire and grow to a certain area of radiation where which will be it's upper limit. The concern is the problems when you keep increasing that ( with any given coil size) .
In pure wattage mode, it could, but evaporative cooling is the answer. The more air flow, and thus, vapor produced, the cooler the coil gets. IMHO, MTL or restricted DL gets hotter then wide open air flow.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
In pure wattage mode, it could, but evaporative cooling is the answer. The more air flow, and thus, vapor produced, the cooler the coil gets. IMHO, MTL or restricted DL gets hotter then wide open air flow.

O.k. but the bigger the coil the more surface area so still there is going to be more vapor produced, PPM right? So.. whats a safe Max do you think people should concentrate on not passing?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Although not a direct correlation to vaping due to the difficulty of factoring in the influence of both juice (saturation) and air flow, there are many Specific Heat calculators that can be found on the internet. 300 watts into a 400mg SS316L coil will achieve the same temperature within the same amount of time as 25 watts into 35mg Kanthal coil.

Assuming the same influence from saturation, air flow could be a huge factor and may very well sway the above results, depending on atomizer used, toward the 300 watt device operating at a lower temperature.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I replaced a nasty cigarette habit with vaping 5 years ago .... From almost the very start, I have only vaped on a Kayfun Lite-Plus with a 1.3 ohm single coil. I am happy with the Kayfun and have no plans on moving on to a different atomizer.

I "mouth to lung" vape this thing at 10.6 watts ... If I cranked up my mod to lets say 30-40 watts, or something like that, it would more than likely blow the top of my head off (or fry my lungs) :laugh:

Here is my sweetheart that has kept me off cigarettes for the last 5 years .....

B3WaGZ2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread