Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
100%!

Every so often, it seems we get someone who goes off the deep end because some company has the unmitigated gall to make vape gear they don’t like!

Some months back, one person went on a rant about purple and rainbow. How dare they make girlie gear!!! It’s not like women vape or something!

How hard is it, really, for some people to live and let live? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s just that simple.
Bingo!!! Nail meet hammer... onomatopoeia.
You vape??? :lol:
I've been looking for a purple 1 of 1 Luna and STILL cannot find one. Guessing I was too late to the party for those. :confused: Maybe they'll pop a few up on their site.

I have purple mods, rainbow tanks, and I vape BVC 1.6/1.8ohm coil heads at 7W. Direct to lung.
Color ... what a concept. Right? Wait, what if all mods and atty's were only grey?
I still have a few Aspire ET-S tanks and some boxes of BVC 1.8 ohm coils. Those are great tanks IMO and they helped me get off the smokes and at 8 watts too. ;)

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
th

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Another thing that just struck me as interesting is that in 2014, I bought my first "real" mod. It was a ZMAX, and it had a maximum output of 10W. Of course, I already had my eye on 15W Provaris.
I was one of those guys stacking CR2's in my Silver Bullet for 6 volts somewhere around 2011. :thumbs:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Please tell us you're a big burly man with a neck beard.
I do have a beard. A big one, too, with no mustache. If I don't lift my head up pretty far, then you can't tell whether I shave my neck. I'm 5' 3", 170lb, and I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "burly".

I like purple. Fuschia, too.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I do have a beard. A big one, too, with no mustache. If I don't lift my head up pretty far, then you can't tell whether I shave my neck. I'm 5' 3", 170lb, and I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "burly".

I like purple. Fuschia, too.
Thank you, you just made my day. You don't need height for strong and burly. Love seeing stereotypes busted.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change?

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.
The why part is BECAUSE WE CAN. :)

The electronic cigarette industry has always been driven by electrical power and batteries. In 2010 we only had tiny lipo stick batteries, or ciga-likes. In our ever searching quest for more powerful and longer lasting batteries, we went to protected 18650 ICR batteries, which had about 4 amp of current. In around 2012, AW came out with the unprotected, high drain IMR 18650 batteries which had 10 amps of power. Our battery devices and juice attachments have always been limited by the batteries and power sources available at the time.

Thanks to improvements in battery technology over the last 10 years, today we have 30 amp batteries. E-cigarettes have always been about re-creating the smoking experience, and the single limitation to that has always been batteries.

We probably have gone beyond the realm of simulating the cigarette smoking experience to a new level of high voltage/high wattage vaping. The recent trend has been higher power battery devices to make larger volumes of vapor. Even if we aren't interested in huge volumes of vaper, all that additional power can be saved in reserve to increase the available time we have to vape before we need to recharge our batteries. So its a win-win situation for everyone.

I began vaping in 2012. An unregulated mech mod (Silver Bullet) and a 3.0 ohm cartomizer, and then a Provari at 5 volts. At some point over the years my vaping preferences changed. I now vape a 0.5 ohm clearomizer at 30 watts which is my current "sweet spot". If I tried to go back to the Provari and a 3.0 ohm mouth-to-lung atomizer I would be highly disappointed in the performance.

Here's a fitting anology. Your car's speedometer probably goes to at least 120 mph, but I bet your rarely drive it over 70 mph. My regulated mod goes to 75 watts, but I've never fired it over 40 watts.

You can still find those "old school" type vape setups that you are familiar with if you look hard enough. They might be called something different now. There's still plenty of vapers who vape that way, too.

Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

So what IS high voltage vaping all about? (Everything you've wanted to know plus a bit of electronic theory)

Last edited:

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I think the OP has a point to a degree, particularly about vape shops. I also walked into a high street shop after being away from the 'scene' for a bit. It's not that they sell higher wattage devices etc, that got me, it was the attitude that today's products are normal, and to be pushed on the customer.

Try finding 70/30 pg/vg juice. Nowadays 50/50 is considered thin. Try finding a mtl tank, try finding a narrow bore drip tip. Nowt wrong with what's on sale but it's not always what an experienced vaper wants and that kind of vaper can be met with some resistance when expressing their needs. In my experience anyway. Even pods and starter kits can be sub ohm and wide bore, which may not be what is desired.

The high street is pretty pants for vape gear in my experience. They have limited stock and will push what they have often, again in my experience, over selling a product to get the sale. I have no qualms describing some, not all, of the staff in these places as charlatans.

That said here I sit vaping on my Colossal 80w at 11.5w, using a Samsung 15a battery, and 1.5ohm coil in a Berserker with narrow bore drip tip. I didn't get any of it on the high street though.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
I would think if you walked into any reasonable vape shop they'd ask some questions, or it would come up, 'I want something that puts out a small puff'. I work with others who vape, who want exactly that, so they can stealth vape, or vape without drawing attention. Easy answer today, pod systems a plenty, some of which also work well enough with freebase juice.

p.s. rainbow is very cool, and if it was a guy out in the garage applying a rainbow patina to his gear with a blow torch, we would say 'how manly!' :p

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think the OP has a point to a degree, particularly about vape shops. I also walked into a high street shop after being away from the 'scene' for a bit. It's not that they sell higher wattage devices etc, that got me, it was the attitude that today's products are normal, and to be pushed on the customer.

Try finding 70/30 pg/vg juice. Nowadays 50/50 is considered thin. Try finding a mtl tank, try finding a narrow bore drip tip. Nowt wrong with what's on sale but it's not always what an experienced vaper wants and that kind of vaper can be met with some resistance when expressing their needs. In my experience anyway. Even pods and starter kits can be sub ohm and wide bore, which may not be what is desired.

The high street is pretty pants for vape gear in my experience. They have limited stock and will push what they have often, again in my experience, over selling a product to get the sale. I have no qualms describing some, not all, of the staff in these places as charlatans.

That said here I sit vaping on my Colossal 80w at 11.5w, using a Samsung 15a battery, and 1.5ohm coil in a Berserker with narrow bore drip tip. I didn't get any of it on the high street though.

My closest shop sells mostly Smok. But that’s just what the local shop sells, not some conspiracy by some unknown evil mastermind to screw everyone who wants something else. Things other than Smok are available elsewhere. And I have never once started a thread crying about that shop not selling AsMODus or Wotofo, because you know, other people want Smok. Let them have it. Ain’t cost me nothing, as the hick kids say.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
...But that’s just what the local shop sells, not some conspiracy by some unknown evil mastermind to screw everyone who wants something else. Things other than Smok are available elsewhere...

True of internet stores as well, not all carry all brands. Makes sense. Evil masterminds get too much credit, there is always a simpler explanation (often ignorance, and stupidity). Unfortunately I gave up on my three local vape shops. They are all manned by kiddies who really seem to be clueless, except for blowing O's (aka, smoke rings), they are really good at that (and I still cannot)! I just can't justify supporting them when I can get better advice elsewhere, and spend less buying online. Too bad.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
True of internet stores as well, not all carry all brands. Makes sense. Evil masterminds get too much credit, there is always a simpler explanation (often ignorance, and stupidity). Unfortunately I gave up on my three local vape shops. They are all manned by kiddies who really seem to be clueless, except for blowing O's (aka, smoke rings), they are really good at that (and I still cannot)! I just can't justify supporting them when I can get better advice elsewhere, and spend less buying online. Too bad.

We used to have a really good shop but that one closed. Two guys who actually knew stuff, were never condescending when I had just started, and would order anything if you asked. Their stock was limited, because like all shops, there are only certain things they can get wholesale on and make enough money to survive. But I would still support them if they were open, because they helped newbies to quit!

The shop we have now, that guy doesn’t know squat. He’s not helpful. He’s not friendly. He acts like he’s doing you a favor letting you look at the products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread