Status
Not open for further replies.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I havn't seen anyone build a micro coil with ribbon wire yet. And I havn't tried the ribbon wires yet. Next time I place an order with COV I might pick a couple up to experiment with.

If you are still using silica, ribbon is the best, however with cotton, ribbon is not as stable as low gauge wire for microcoils. There is the tinman coil which is a micro with ribbon but looks ugly and does not give any benefit.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
if you put ribbon (that is flat) in a way that one coil is upon the other?

Yes you can, but when you are wicking it with cotton, removing cotton and inserting it can cause it to deform because ribbon is so thin and the coils are on top of each other. I am not saying you cannot get good results out of it but i find it harder to make and harder to insert wick into it.

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
Sorry for the confusion Imeo but the cost of NR and Resistance wire is very cheap and I have been twisting up until now, about 1.2 ohm's is what I build at and they work great. And yes u can make micro coils with ribbon wire I am not sure if they are true micro coils mine are tight not overlapping and when I test them they heat up in the middle of the coil and radiate outwards that's what I like. Ready wires are great but In my mind there to expensive 30 euros is say $35or $37 Canadian (Don't quote me on that) that's the cost of about 200 feet NR wire and 200 feet R ribbon wire and last a long time. I rebuild every two days dual coil and sometimes try new things. I think ready wires are great don't get me wrong but if I want to experiment with diff ohm's and wires well you know. The tips and tricks just keep coming in with people trying different things and you must admit there are some great ideas. The reason I want a wire welder is to perfect my coil building to leave my twisting ability out of the equation that's all. Now that I have seen the price well maybe next year I really want to see the Ithaka update that's what I want for x-mas lol. thanks Adam

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
the ribbon do work micro when you install them in a way every metal strip make
contact with the other.
It's more tricky to insert cotton first time because its moving.
But it can be done not too hard on single coil.
On dual coil it different and I did not try that one.
As there is no need for me going duals.
and I can see the pain in the A' n doing so.
the ribbon single coil perform much better,
then rounded wire single coil.
but It will not work as permanent coil for duals,IMHP.
so there is some of us that those ribbons are great for them (for silica or cotton)
and some with diffrent needs,both can be made on Ithaka so no problem there.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I was talking about people that dont like to twist Adam. If you can do the job easily then of course you can buy R and NR wires by yourself
Sorry for the confusion Imeo but the cost of NR and Resistance wire is very cheap and I have been twisting up until now, about 1.2 ohm's is what I build at and they work great. And yes u can make micro coils with ribbon wire I am not sure if they are true micro coils mine are tight not overlapping and when I test them they heat up in the middle of the coil and radiate outwards that's what I like. Ready wires are great but In my mind there to expensive 30 euros is say $35or $37 Canadian (Don't quote me on that) that's the cost of about 200 feet NR wire and 200 feet R ribbon wire and last a long time. I rebuild every two days dual coil and sometimes try new things. I think ready wires are great don't get me wrong but if I want to experiment with diff ohm's and wires well you know. The tips and tricks just keep coming in with people trying different things and you must admit there are some great ideas. The reason I want a wire welder is to perfect my coil building to leave my twisting ability out of the equation that's all. Now that I have seen the price well maybe next year I really want to see the Ithaka update that's what I want for x-mas lol. thanks Adam

JeffvapesGG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Delaware
For me the best one is the "Wire Welder", not only because I was part of the project of the V1, but because all its functions, as selectable voltage charging, integrated battery charger, voltage memory, atomizer and resitance wire ohmmeter, etc).

As I'm not part of the project anymore, I can post some pictures of my V1 (I added the 510 connector to check resistance on atomizers -it already has the function to read resistance of wires-, V2 already includes the 510 connector)

w2hzl0.jpg

Does this come with alligator clips?.. Like is it all ready to go?

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Does this come with alligator clips?.. Like is it all ready to go?

Yes, it comes with alligator clips, well, just for the negative wire, positive wire gets fixed via the orange post (you can unscrew and screw it to hold the positive wire), or with an attachable spring (included), the wire gets trapped with the spring (new feature), you only need to add a 18650 battery (no nipple top) and an micro USB cable (to charge the battery and use the device the first time as it enables the battery charger PCB).

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
This is a picture of the the Wire Welder V2 (a friend posted it at a facebook mexican vapers group):

24q4g20.jpg

Note: for what I know and read, screen color may vary, the above one was a batch that seth83 made for the first ones thar ordered it.

Note 2: I'm not involved in the project anymore, I do not sell the device and I'm not trying to make commercial publicity / advertising of the product, I just like to show it because I was part of the project for the V1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread