Worried about Vaping too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADCarter1

Jun 5, 2013
Upperco, MD
I had the same concern. One of the things I liked about smoking was that, when you got to the filter, you were done smoking. With vaping, there is no end to the cigarette. When I bought my kit, I asked the guy at the shop how I would know when I was finished and he said I'd be tired of vaping and just put it down. Well, I'm not that type of person. I am the type of person who, if you put a plate of cookies in front of me, I will know that I should only eat 2 but end up eating the whole plate because it's right in front of me.

I'm trying to figure this out and have come up with two solutions: 1) Lower the nicotine amount in my machine or 2) Leave the thing in another room, so every time I feel like taking a drag (every minute), I would physically have to get up off the couch and do it. I am counting on Newton's law of motion to help me with this one. If I am at rest on the couch, I will want to stay at rest and not haul myself off the couch to get up and take a drag. I haven't actually had the courage to do this yet.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I had the same concern. One of the things I liked about smoking was that, when you got to the filter, you were done smoking. With vaping, there is no end to the cigarette. When I bought my kit, I asked the guy at the shop how I would know when I was finished and he said I'd be tired of vaping and just put it down. Well, I'm not that type of person. I am the type of person who, if you put a plate of cookies in front of me, I will know that I should only eat 2 but end up eating the whole plate because it's right in front of me.

I'm trying to figure this out and have come up with two solutions: 1) Lower the nicotine amount in my machine or 2) Leave the thing in another room, so every time I feel like taking a drag (every minute), I would physically have to get up off the couch and do it. I am counting on Newton's law of motion to help me with this one. If I am at rest on the couch, I will want to stay at rest and not haul myself off the couch to get up and take a drag. I haven't actually had the courage to do this yet.

I took option 1 I dropped my nic level to 4 MG and vape as much as I darn well please. :)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I was thinking today. I enjoy Vaping so much better than I ever did smoking. With the awesome vaper making machines and the outrageously great flavors.I just cant keep that thing out of my mouth. I'm probably getting 10x more Nicotine than I ever did when I was smoking anologs........any thoughts or observations

Or you're not.

Remember, the nicotine absorption is different for vaping as opposed to smoking being absorbed through the mouth and nasal passages instead of the lungs. The absorption in the lungs is faster and probably more is taken up as the lungs are meant to transfer the contents of the air into the blood stream. The mouth, not so much. I would expect everybody vapes "more" than they smoke as we all are going to try to hit more or less the same level of nicotine in the blood stream as we were used to (else, you'd get "nicotine fits").

That is, you're going to naturally seek the same nic level. Part of what you're enjoying is the nicotine. Well, it does stimulate dopamine and that's a serious neurotransmitter. We humans love us some dopamine. :)

If you are getting too much, you'd have some symptoms of nicotine poisoning. Such as here: Nicotine poisoning: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. Not necessarily all nor to extreme levels but headache, nausea, insomnia... those can be a sign you're getting too much. I gave myself insomnia at the beginning when I was getting used to this new thing. Had to cut back the nic level on liquids for the evenings. It was kind of like a bit of a caffeine buzz. Not terribly bad, just wide awake until three and four in the freaking morning.

There's no direct comparison between smoking and vaping. At least not yet. It'd take a lot more studies where they do blood draws and test the nic level in the blood stream. We don't really know how much nic you get from X liquid in Y device puffed on Z times. You have to "feel your way" through it. If you're jittery, getting headaches, can't sleep, yeah, back off. Quickly. If you're just vaping "a lot" without any noticeable bad effects, you're probably just fine.

Heh, but, yeah, liquids I really like? I buy (or, more these days, mix) those in low, low nic levels because I love to vape 'em. :)

Iron Knuckle

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Washington, USA
If you're concerned about getting hooked more on nicotine or using your vape too much, invest in a dripping atomizer. I fill it up before a vape and I find it lasts me about as long as it would take to smoke a cigarette. As soon as it starts drying up, I set it down and go on my merry till I feel like vaping again. Just my :2c:

buddywally

Jun 6, 2013
eugene, OR
I think I'm going to have to keep some low-nic juice for the evenings. I've noticed that when watching tv, internet surfing etc. I like to puff away on my eroll. This first week after having the eroll loaded with 18mg/ml juice I've had insomnia like a SOB. Gotta say that part of my enjoyment is the "Django" juice I bought from my friendly local vape shop (Emerald Valley Vapors) here in Eugene. I love, the flavor (tastes kinda like a banana runt candy) and I can't seem to get enough.

boomhower1820

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
NC
I've had the same concerns. I smoked like a freight chain, could go through a pack in 12 hours at work. I've been hitting the vape like crazy. I think a lot of the problem is I got 18mg juice with the idea to be able to start knocking that down so I guess that's the compensator while my body gets used to it. I can tell you I'm liking this a heck of a lot more than the patches which obviously didn't work.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I think I'm going to have to keep some low-nic juice for the evenings. I've noticed that when watching tv, internet surfing etc. I like to puff away on my eroll. This first week after having the eroll loaded with 18mg/ml juice I've had insomnia like a SOB. Gotta say that part of my enjoyment is the "Django" juice I bought from my friendly local vape shop (Emerald Valley Vapors) here in Eugene. I love, the flavor (tastes kinda like a banana runt candy) and I can't seem to get enough.

Yeah, my first "OMG I LOVE THIS" juice? Gave myself insomnia, vaper's tongue, you name it. :)

Learned the hard way to buy low nic versions of the ones I really, really, really like...

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Like others have said, if you get too much nic, you'll know it. You will feel like crap and be jittery, a lot like when you drink too many cups of coffee and get too much caffeine. I personally go through times during the day, especially at night, where I don't put mine down. The flavors are just so great that I can't get enough. Sometimes I don't inhale into my lungs but vape more like you would smoke a cigar....in through the mouth, out through the nose. After starting at 18 mg. nic in the beginning, I got that awful sick, jittery feeling so my next order was 12. Now, a couple of months later, I'm ordering some 6mg. juice, for at night when I vape like a chimney! Just think about the 4,000 toxins you're NOT getting anymore and enjoy yourself. Vape on!!! :toast:

Neunerball

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
Roswell, GA
I like "chain vaping" myself, 'cause I like that ADF (all day favorite) so much. Just like with food, I'm listening to my body, it tells me when it's enough. I do catch myself laying down the PV, although I'm enjoying the flavor. However, I'm using 1.1 - 1.4% (11 - 14 mg) nicotine. I'm not sure if vaping that much late evening is keeping me awake. I've always been a "night owl" anyways. I might try vaping a lower nicotine level, just to see, if it does have an influence on my sleeping/staying awake late.

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL

This is how I was.. With cigs, you know when you are done. If you are still craving nic after a cig, its hard (at least for me) to pick up another right away because it was harsh and tasted like sh@#. Vaping is way different, YOU have to decide when to put it down because it tastes good and does not get more harsh no matter how long you puff away. Usually, your body will let you know. For the first three or four months, you could not pry my e-cig out of my hand. My family and friends would tease the heck out of me. (many of whom were either smokers or dippers). They called it my pacifier and they were right. I started at 36mg went to 24 and am now at 18. I still chain vape much of the time. The reason has already been explained. Your bod does not absorb the nic as efficiently when vaping.

IMHO you have two options depending on your personal prefferences. Either raise your nic, vape until you are satisfied and put it down or lower or keep your nic level as it is and vape as much as you want. We all have the same goal. Chose the path that is most comfortable to you. One thing is for sure. You can certainly smoke too much. Vape too much? I would prefer the latter... ;-)~

SmokStak

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
United States
I feel the same way but I am not too worried about the nicotine. I am more worried about the flavorings and additives that are present in nic juice. I smoked Natural American Spirits which are purportedly additive-free (and I would want to vomit in the rare case I bummed a Marlboro off a friend) so I didn't experience the harsh 'chemical' taste of cigarettes. Do we have any evidence that inhaling additives and flavorings by vaping all day (like I've been doing) be safer than 5-10 additive-free cigarettes a day?

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Do we have any evidence that inhaling additives and flavorings by vaping all day (like I've been doing) be safer than 5-10 additive-free cigarettes a day?

Smoke contains tar and carbon monoxide and numerous carcinogens, not because of additives or flavorings, but as an unavoidable result of setting plant material on fire.

E-cig juice contains known food flavorings that are known to at least be safe for ingestion. There's nothing added that isn't to contribute to the flavor (except for the base and nicotine itself). The base is also known to be safe for ingestion, is used to make fog machines, lotion, shampoo, food filler, etc. Juice is physically altered (vaporized), but not chemically altered (combusted) when used, so what ends up in you body is nothing more than what you put in the e-cig. Many juices contain a list of chemicals that could be counted on one hand.

I don't see how inhaling smoke of ANY kind could possibly be safer than vaporizing e-cig juice.

ORIGINAL TOPIC: Just because we all have a collective sneaking suspicion that vaping is pretty much safe to do, there's still something to be said for moderation. If you think you're vaping too much, vape less. If you're a sane, rational person who thinks they're vaping too much, in all likelihood you are. I think the problem is that without it being obviously unhealthy, the point at which it becomes "too much" is fuzzy.

People seem to approach vaping as an addiction: I think I'm vaping too much, so I need to find something to make it ok. Let's substitute food instead: if someone comes up to you and says they eat so many cookies that they themselves think it may be "too much", it's pretty damn likely that they're eating way too many cookies, right? So, you're a vaper who vapes so much that you yourself think it may be getting excessive. Probably is.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying excessive as in "bad" or "wrong", but just that. More than a "balanced" person would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread