Wotofo Profile Unity RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF SH**?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, I've just about had it with this rta!!!!! I've build it EVERY WHICH WAY more cotton, less cotton, cotton fluffed up, cotton flush, cut it this lenght, cut it that lenght, watched a dozen youtube videos and copied each of them exactly, HELL I even went as far as to take a piece of ofrf mesh and cut a tiny bit of it thinking that the idiots measured it wrong and if I use the entire piece it sits too high up and the airflow doesn't hit the middle, etc.!!!!

No matter what I do the result is always the same: if I'm lucky I get a few hundred puffs, if I'm unlucky I get a few dozen puffs and then it dry burns! Sometimes after the initial dry puff or 2 it will work ok(with just a bit of flavor loss) for a while longer, untill the second dry burn when it's pretty much game over!

I think I've got a couple more days of pain and misery left in me untill I SMASH THIS PIECE OF SH** AGAINST A WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions of what the F else I could try during these days?!

Thanks... :(

P.S. And no I'm not vaping at crazy wattages, 65w is where I hang around at.
P.S.S. And no I'm not using crazy high VG juice, lately I've been making my own and I do eighter 60-40 or 65-35.
P.S. And no I'm not chain vaping super long hits or sometimes, 2 or 3 hits(with a couple of second between each hit) lasting anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds each, then I put it down for a couple of minutes, rinse and repeat.
P.S.S.S.S.S. Yes, I'm sure I got the wicking right at least a couple of times, I mean I was able to SEE THE FREAKING BUBBLES!!!! so it was obviously wicking(right?), didn't matter....

Some friendly advice. Big red all caps font that includes censored swearing will invite criticism. You maybe frustrated, and that is understandable, but lets be adults here. Cool? :thumb:

First – no need to cut the strips. They are of perfect size and doing so may deform the strip which will lead to dry burns.

Saying that, is your mesh perfectly contoured? Any dings, dents or creases will lead to dry burns.

What cotton are you using? The type is irrelevant but knowing what you are using we may be able to give advice on the amount. Example, I use Muji pads but cut them in half and remove the harder outer shell.

Pictures of the deck when wicked would be beneficial.

Your vaping frequency would also be useful. Is that a few hundred puffs within a short duration or across a long duration?

Personally I do not think high VG is a problem – vaping max VG in mine right now….no dry burns.

• Informative
Reactions: YePsTeR

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Saying that, is your mesh perfectly contoured? Any dings, dents or creases will lead to dry burns.

What cotton are you using? The type is irrelevant but knowing what you are using we may be able to give advice on the amount. Example, I use Muji pads but cut them in half and remove the harder outer shell.

Pictures of the deck when wicked would be beneficial

Pretty sure when I first form the mesh and put it in it's picture perfect, after I have to dismantle it every other puff to take the cotton out, dry burn it to remove the black spots and re-cotton it.... who the heck knows at that point....

So far only tried Cotton Bacon and Firebolt, the bacon seemed to last a bit longer, but not much difference. Was also thinking of trying some egyptian Drago cotton at some point, assuming I don't just give all of this up and go back to coils... :(

You'll get some pictures first thing tomorrow when I rewick it, again, and again, and again....

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Pretty sure when I first form the mesh and put it in it's picture perfect, after I have to dismantle it every other puff to take the cotton out, dry burn it to remove the black spots and re-cotton it.... who the heck knows at that point....

So far only tried Cotton Bacon and Firebolt, the bacon seemed to last a bit longer, but not much difference. Was also thinking of trying some egyptian Drago cotton at some point, assuming I don't just give all of this up and go back to coils... :(

You'll get some pictures first thing tomorrow when I rewick it, again, and again, and again....

With a little finesse and tweezers you can remove the spent wick without the need to remove the mesh. If you deform the mesh, you can attempt to reform it using the tool. But if it stays deformed, toss it and use a new piece.

Your juice will also play a roll in longevity. My DIY juices I can get away with a few weeks to months use. But just finished some commercial Chocolate Espresso juice that quickly gunked up in just a few days. There is a difference between dry burning cotton and burning excess sugars from the juice. If your wick is black(ened), when you remove it drop it into a glass of water. The burnt sugars will fall to the bottom of the glass, and if the cotton is white, with out burns marks, then you are not dry burning the cotton. If this is the case, your choice of juice is the problem which will mean more frequent re-wicks. Just have to accept that or find a juice you like that doesn’t crust up so quickly (this goes for regular coils as well)

Haven’t used Cotton Bacon, but have used 3 strands of Fire Bolt with much success – if you are not burning the cotton, depending on your juice it should last for some time. Rayon also works well.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
The Unity can be frustrating to wick and assemble and closing the AF every time when filling is a must for me.
VIKINGS...I suggest that you let the Unity rest on a stand for a spell. Order a VV Kylin M RTA fo $50, the Kylin M takes everything good about the Unity design and improves it, no flooding and no need to hold inner base when assembling and uses the same mesh coils.
You will become a happy....poor vaper.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Nope, trust me(long list of reasons I'm not gonna go into now) @Punk In Drublic it's a cotton burning problem, not a sugar problem. But thank you for the info anyway, I'll keep it in mind for the future, should there be one for this rta....

K guys, here are the pics. First you have 3 pics with the last setup to burn out, the one where(out of desperation and not knowing what else to try) I cut a bit from the mesh strip.

You won't see and black on this one cause I was so frustrated the other night that I just went back to my coil tank rather then taking the extra(painful) couple of puffs that I would normally do untill it got black. So there is just a yellow streak on the mesh and cotton, not sure how well it comes out in the photos.

Then here's a pic of the new mesh before wicking it to see the form.

And lastly a couple of pics after wicking it where I cut the cotton much shorter so you would have 2 examples of what I've been trying. More cotton in the build above, less in this one.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
They do not look that bad. The first set looks to be too much cotton stuffed into the juice well. You can trim that back and thin it out a bit. You want enough to fill that void but not too much where you can’t slide a small screwdriver in. Cotton expands when wet – so if the wick is tightly packed in there, it will choke the flow of juice to your mesh strip.

Which cotton is this? Try using 3 strips of the Fire Bolt cotton, but position them in a triangular shape, 2 on top, one on the bottom but keeping them separated. Trim the bottom strip so that it will just enter the juice well, but not fill it completely. No need to thin it out. Trim the top 2 so they are flush with the deck….maybe a little less. You want the cotton to shape similar to your top pictures.

Prime the wick, assemble the tank and fill.

If your deck floods after filling (as it has been mentioned in this thread), this is due to a pressure change within the tank after screwing on the top cap. It may leak out the air flow and spit, but it’s temporary. To prevent flooding, fill the tank as per normal, place the top cap so there is enough pressure to prevent the juice from leaking out, flip the tank upside down and screw on the top cap.

And as mentioned, no need to cut the mesh strips. They are of perfect size.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So you think I should juice it up and try it out?

NO, don’t juice it up just yet. It is important to let the cotton relax and settle naturally. By manhandling and cutting the cotton you have stressed the fibers. You do not want stressed fibers! Relaxing the cotton can take some time. Perhaps some soothing music, maybe scented candles and a glass of wine with a nice dinner can help cut down the time. When the cotton is ready, it will let you know.

Of course juice it up!!!!

If this does not work, take pictures before tearing the cotton out.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Out of scented candles, and I'm not sure if coke and Rob Zombie fall under the heading of "soothing and relaxin" for a lady, but oh well... Lubed it up and I'll let you know how many, if any, tanks it manages to last.
I will take more pictures sure, though I'm not sure how much we'll be able to see since I juice made a new chocolate milk juice...

Last edited:

Rabbiporkchop

Sep 5, 2019
I am experiencing a bit of flooding and leaking after filling the tank and screwing on the top cap.
It sure would be nice if there was more top air flow models like these.
Leakage doesn't seem to be a problem with these mesh RTA's.
digiflavor_themis_25mm_rta_stainless.jpg

e42aeeefad.jpg.500x500.jpg

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
Hi all,

I purchased a profile unity the other week and have been trying it out as it is my first time with mesh coils so i can only compare it against the Ammit 25 that I have been using and I can say that I love the flavour of this RTA.

Yes wicking is a bit of a pain and like others i have to close the airflow when filling and sometimes turn it upside down to "burp" it but overall it is a good RTA in my opinion for my style of vaping.

Purchased the bubble glass as well to get 6ml looks a bit funky with the bubble glass but as it does drink the juice as I am running at 64w compared to the Ammit 25 that I would run at 32w I thought i would need the extra capacity.

IMG_0664.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It sure would be nice if there was more top air flow models like these.
Leakage doesn't seem to be a problem with these mesh RTA's.
digiflavor_themis_25mm_rta_stainless.jpg

e42aeeefad.jpg.500x500.jpg

Thx. My flooding issue was rectified the day I posted that comment. If wicked properly, which is not difficult, the Profile Unity is leak free. Flooding can occur, but not always, after filling the tank and screwing on the top cap which may or may not result in leaking. This is due to a pressure change in the tank. Easily rectified by just applying a little pressure to the top cap to prevent leaking, flip the tank upside down, then screw the cap on.

By design, top air tanks may mitigate leaking, but they may also still be prone to flooding the deck.

Reactions: Rabbiporkchop

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

I purchased a profile unity the other week and have been trying it out as it is my first time with mesh coils so i can only compare it against the Ammit 25 that I have been using and I can say that I love the flavour of this RTA.

Yes wicking is a bit of a pain and like others i have to close the airflow when filling and sometimes turn it upside down to "burp" it but overall it is a good RTA in my opinion for my style of vaping.

Purchased the bubble glass as well to get 6ml looks a bit funky with the bubble glass but as it does drink the juice as I am running at 64w compared to the Ammit 25 that I would run at 32w I thought i would need the extra capacity.

View attachment 836717

Can’t say I have ever seen a bubble glass for the Unity – is that an official OEM glass or something made for another tank that just works?

Inked Atty as a 10ml expansion kit for the Unity if you do not mind the looks.

ADV Expansion Kit - Profile Unity RTA - Wotofo -

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
Can’t say I have ever seen a bubble glass for the Unity – is that an official OEM glass or something made for another tank that just works?

Inked Atty as a 10ml expansion kit for the Unity if you do not mind the looks.

ADV Expansion Kit - Profile Unity RTA - Wotofo -

That expansion kit does look too weird even for me

The bubble glass I don't think is OEM but it is advertised as for the Unity, got it from 3fvape

Buy Replacement Bubble Glass Tank Tube for Wotofo Profile Unity RTA

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Almost 2 days and around 700 puffs so far no dry hits. We'll see how long it lasts, max I got out of this tank was 5-6 days and about 2k hits.
The flavor on the other hand it still kinda meh, it's ok, on par with the sub ohm tanks if not a bit better. But thus far I have been unable to achieve anything that I would describe as "amazing" or "very good" like many people have...

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Almost 2 days and around 700 puffs so far no dry hits. We'll see how long it lasts, max I got out of this tank was 5-6 days and about 2k hits.
The flavor on the other hand it still kinda meh, it's ok, on par with the sub ohm tanks if not a bit better. But thus far I have been unable to achieve anything that I would describe as "amazing" or "very good" like many people have...

Perhaps your perception has been clouded by your poor experience thus far. You are counting hits, expecting a dry burn and stressing about it. Relax, enjoy the show.

Want to conduct a true flavour test. Blindfold yourself and have a friend or significant other hand you each and every tank you own, set properly, and with the same juice for you to evaluate blindly. Remove your sighted biased opinion. It is quite possible you pick something other than the Unity – or perhaps the Unity is that much more flavourful. Flavour is highly subjective.

Reactions: lupinehorror
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread