Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I finally got around to it, but the camera wasn't being at all cooperative making a picture of sorts with the 5th WPU in it (on the blue Fuchai). I put the 5ml glass on it for the first build and like it, so will eventually change all of them to the 5ml.

WPUx5s.jpg

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I finally got around to it, but the camera wasn't being at all cooperative making a picture of sorts with the 5th WPU in it (on the blue Fuchai). I put the 5ml glass on it for the first build and like it, so will eventually change all of them to the 5ml.
View attachment 816837
The 5ml is so close in size that it makes sense. Gotta feed that thirsty mesh!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The 5ml is so close in size that it makes sense. Gotta feed that thirsty mesh!

An extra 1.5ml would be a sizable bonus for the MTL crowd. It won't go all that far with my DLH's that use joose up fast, but the 42% increase is still 42% more vaping time before a refill. :thumbs:

banner6y.jpg

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Changed another WPU to the 5ml glass. This one just wouldn't come apart with a pair of non slip rubber pads (not much of a top metal ring to get a purchase on and you can only try to force so far without breaking the glass tube). The 'tool' of choice that worked easily was right angle internal snap ring pliers. I didn't even need a rubber pad to hold the WPU itself, just held in hand with the top cap off and the pliers in the top refill slots. It could be done with straight snap ring (or in a pinch angled or straight needle nose pliers as well if you are careful not to mar/burr the slots). Either way the angled tips would be easier (thinking of the ladies here too). FWIW

RAI-SRP.jpg

WPU-slots.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Still loving my 5 WPU's. After all my early doubt's as someone who has never liked RTA's they have proven to be the best RTA's I have. No doubt being mesh is a big part of why. But I am somewhat surprised that they haven't seen more attention around here. I think I'll grab a couple more for backup while they can still be bought from a US vendor.

wpuX5bg.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Another Profile Unity was in my mail box this morning (a second gold version). Over 70 hours of DVD's was as well. I'm not a gamer, but saw GoT up to season 4 or 5 before I lost a PLEX hookup that I could get it on. I have all 8 seasons complete, so will start from the beginning again and someday will eventually get to the last one.

wpug2s.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
WPURTA2.jpg

Some thoughts on the 3.5ml and 5ml glass option for these RTA's that may be of some use to others.

I now have 6 of these RTA's on line to use in my daily rotations, and all of them have the 5ml glass installed. My experience with using the 5ml glass option to gain it's 43% more liquid capacity has been very good. Four of the DIY's I chose to run in them were just fine as is, I didn't see any real difference in flavor between the 3.5 & 5 glass. In the other two the flavor was slightly muted. But that was easy enough to fix because I DIY all of my own joose. I simply altered my DIY recipe a little to compensate for it.

Between my 9 Profile Mesh RDA's and 6 Profile Unity Mesh RTA's my vaping world is being dominated right now......... by
wot2.jpg

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Hey guys
Just want to find out from you guys that have the profile rda and rta, do you use the same amount of cotton in the rta as the rda ? I fit the same amount of cotton in the rta as i do with the rda but the flavour just seems bit muted, it doesn't leak or give dry burns.
@Spydro seems you clued up on both if you can give me your knowledge pls.

So just want to know any one who has both do you use same amount on both or a little bit less in the rta ?
Thanks

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
We setup based on what works best for our own styles and components used. I typically use Muji cotton pads for both the Unity and Profile RDA. For the Unity I use 1/2 of a pad with the outer layers removed. The Profile RDA, I use 3/4 of a pad with the outer layers removed. In both cases I do not stretch out the pad (Scottish Roll type action), nor do I thin out the tails. Just lightly rolled and thread under the mesh.

The Unity is cut in line with the wick guard on the deck, fluffed to remove any compression from the cut. Approx half is fed into the juice well, with the other half remaining as is. Maybe a little trimming, but not much. This method has served me perfectly and can easily chain vape a full 5ml tank at my preferred wattage (60 +/- a few watts depending on juice) without any dry hits or flooding.

So to answer your question, yes I use less on the Unity.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
We setup based on what works best for our own styles and components used. I typically use Muji cotton pads for both the Unity and Profile RDA. For the Unity I use 1/2 of a pad with the outer layers removed. The Profile RDA, I use 3/4 of a pad with the outer layers removed. In both cases I do not stretch out the pad (Scottish Roll type action), nor do I thin out the tails. Just lightly rolled and thread under the mesh.

The Unity is cut in line with the wick guard on the deck, fluffed to remove any compression from the cut. Approx half is fed into the juice well, with the other half remaining as is. Maybe a little trimming, but not much. This method has served me perfectly and can easily chain vape a full 5ml tank at my preferred wattage (60 +/- a few watts depending on juice) without any dry hits or flooding.

Cool thanks, yea when i wicked the rta it just felt wrong to me, i used the exact same amount of cotton as with the rda, but must say with my first wick on the rta didn't get any flooding or leaking or whatever but that is most prob cause i used too much cotton :(. But now n know for next time will take 1/3 off it. I just watched suck my mod vid on the wicking and it worked perfect with " adding " some walls on the wick like a pancake wick so the wick stop the juice coming from the chamber on top.
But thanks for the info seems you are allways helping me :lol:
Just loved the rda so much had to grab the rta aswell, and because my zeus x drove me to the point of insanity :-x

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It’s finding that fine line between mitigating hotspots and not choking the flow of juice.

The RDA can get away with more wick – when we squonk we are pushing juice into the wick and under the mesh. And if we drip, we are pouring juice directly onto the mesh. So having more wick can be beneficial for it will retain more juice (and means less quonking/dripping). You can use less wick in the RDA, just means you are squonking/dripping more frequently.

The Unity relies on wicking from its juice ports through capillary action. But the juice flow is constant, we just need to ensure we do not inhibit that flow of juice with too much wick. The same amount of wick can be used as the RDA, but that means a longer duration between hits maybe needed to allow that juice to reach the mesh. Having a little less wick speeds up that process.

In both cases it is critical to have enough wick under the mesh. Any voids between the wick and mesh will lead to a hot spot in the mesh which will lead to a dry burn.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I posted this on the Profile RDA thread, but in the event Unity users are not viewing that thread, I’ll post it here as well.

Vandy Vape has released a mesh RTA (Kylin M) that utilizes a near identical deck as the Profile. And with that they have also released some compatible mesh options including Stainless Steel.

Vape Wires | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

I should have added, I’ve been using this method with juice that ranges between 70 and 80% VG. If using thinner juice perhaps a little more wick. Ticker juice, maybe thinning out the tails a bit might be required. Both cases may need a little trial and error finding that ideal zone.

Reactions: Ruben41771

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hey guys
Just want to find out from you guys that have the profile rda and rta, do you use the same amount of cotton in the rta as the rda ? I fit the same amount of cotton in the rta as i do with the rda but the flavour just seems bit muted, it doesn't leak or give dry burns.
@Spydro seems you clued up on both if you can give me your knowledge pls.

So just want to know any one who has both do you use same amount on both or a little bit less in the rta ?
Thanks

I already pointed you to 2 links on the Profile RDA thread that state how I wick each of them... one link for the Profile RDA and another link for the Profile Unity RTA. As @Punk In Drublic suggested, we each have to find our own wicking comfort place based on our own style and ramifications. Mesh gear is not instant gratification, they do have a learning curve. But as mesh gear goes the Profile gear is as easy as it gets. The best "teacher" is you yourself by doing your own T&E homework.

As for possible flavor and leaking issues in the RTA.. since I DIY I simply altered my recipes as needed to compensate for either, but only IF they really needed it. Most worked just fine as is because my standard mixing is VG Heavy (85VG/15PG) and for intense flavor.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
It’s odd that the flavour drops?

There is no way to objectively measure flavour, but it is logical that the longer vapor has to travel from it’s point of production, the less flavour it will carry. With the Profile RDA, the mesh is 14mm away from the opening of the drip tip, assuming the stock drip tip is being used. The RTA with the 5ml extension, it is 30mm away, and probably about 23 to 25mm with the 3.5ml glass. I currently have the 5ml glass installed so can’t measure the later.
I agree. I have other rta's and rda's with a taller barrel, and the flavor is less on those than an atty with a shorter barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread