Would you do this? Oxidized nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
My nic is old. I've been vaping oxidized nic for at least a year, but I think it might be two. I got it during one of the FDA scares, and while I knew how to store it, I got lazy and didn't bother. Dark place but in the original sealed, plastic bottles.

Thoughts? Am I a crazy person? I don't think it's causing me any harm, but my nic base is strong in odor and color. I'm mixing at 10-15mg strength.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Oxidized nic is safe and vapable but I find the more ozidized it gets the harsher it is. So if you like harsh vapes then vape away if not get fresh NIC and rebottle it into small 120ml glass bottles and only keep out what you need for 3 months and freeze the rest.

Last edited:

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
I like to use a milk frother for mixing up my DIY juices, and this draws air into the mix potentially oxidising the nic and other ingredients.
As an experiment for my latest batch I used the frother but in a tall thin glass so it didn't draw any air into the mixture.
The results were that it wasn't as harsh, but didn't taste as good or strong in flavour. I think the oxidising adds some complexity to the flavour.

So my guess is that it's be OK to use, and might actually be an improvement over unoxidised nic. Your mileage may vary.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Plastic bottles speed up the oxidation process because plastic will allow air to transfer through.

If it tastes and vapes ok then there is nothing to worry about. Nic doesn't spoil from everything I've read. It just oxidizes and weakens over time. The speed of which is determined by the amount of exposure to air and light.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
I have seen B&M vendors selling juice made from bright orange oxidized nic they bought at fire sales. In fact some vendors would use toilet water in the juice if they could get away with it. Nothing wrong with using it but a purity test might be in order. Anyone working with nic should in fact have a test kit on hand rather than simply trusting the label.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
Just for fun, I took a photo.
WP_20150326_004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread