Would you not buy an Ejuice because you thought the name the vendor gave it was offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not going to say who the vendor is but there is an ejuice being sold called H1N1. I mean really? They couldn't think of a better name? I'm sure you all know what H1N1 is before it was called an ejuice. And they're catch phrase is 'catch it before it catches you'.

With the FDA and big tobacco in the mix, they are now getting closer to try and regulate eliquid in general. And many small B&M shops who mix their own eliquid will probably have to buy really expensive testing, and mixing equipment in order to meet the production standards if new eliquid regulation laws come into play. IMO this will also raise the price of eliquid and many vendors (locally or online) will not be able to afford such equipment and will be forced to shut down, or stop selling their own ejuice. IMO this is how the FDA and big tobacco in general will win the upper hand on the ecig industry.

With that in mind...why would anyone make an ejuice and give it an offensive name? There are other ones out there, that I didn't name in this post. I recently bought an ejuice called Deadly Sin. But I don't think that's quit as bad. But a religious vaporer might have a hard time with it. Then again, I've never met a religious vaporer.

There are reputable vendors who work hard to try and make the next best popular ejuice that everyone wants. And I think vendors who make ejuice and give it a questionable name are shaming the others. There are some pretty cool names out there, such as Boba's Bounty, Wyatt Earp, and Copper Creek to name a few.

If your going to make a cool ejuice, at least give a cool name. Honestly though, even with the cool name, I have to read the description of the ejuice and even a few reviews in order to decide if it's a juice that I think I will like.

Jomoke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Connecticut
Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me - LOL! I order juice based on description and then reviews. It doesn't really matter to me what name the vendor gives it. Honestly, I ordered a bottle of "that" juice and it never even dawned on me what the meaning was until I started reading comments about it after I ordered it. If I like the juice I'll order it again.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm not going to say who the vendor is but there is an ejuice being sold called H1N1. I mean really? They couldn't think of a better name?

Since my mom is dying slowly after being hospitalized for 45 days due to H1N1 (never recuperated, lots of respiratory damage in a former smoker) I'd avoid that juice like the plague (no pun intended).

So I guess it's a trend.......Why not just name juice stuff like Polio, or Alziemers or Heart Attack juice? How about Crib Death?

It's dreadful the lengths companies will go to to get brand recognition and snappy names.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
To the OP, How did I know before even looking that you are from southern Cali. Please find something else to be offended by and panic over. You won't need to look far.

I'm not offended. They can call it whatever they want. I just figured others may be offended. Plus it doesn't do anything to help the cause of the ecig industry. There is so much debate that ppl are misinformed. I hear many people (smokers and nonsmokers) say "I heard that ecigs are actually worse for your health than actual cigarettes" And they are sadly mistaken.

What would happen if H1N1 ejuice was really good and everyone who tried it wanted more? What would the panic be to those misinformed ppl that actually think that vaping is worse than smoking if now they hear that ppl vape H1N1? They might say "Stay as far away from me as possible." Of course now I'm just rambling on.

Now here is my list of Unrealistic Names and Descriptions for Fake Ejuices I made up myself. That I didn't include in my OP because I thought it would be too "offensive."

These Are Fake Moderator can edit or delete as they please. If it's offensive. This is just for laughs.
Electric Chair: This hand crafted ejuice has woodsy tones of a wooden chair while still keeping that metallic taste of wires. Some even claim it has undertones of singed hair. This juice will shock you!

Gas Chamber: Ever wondered whats its like to be a criminal, locked in a gas chamber while families of people you victimized look on through glass? No? We didn't either until we tasted this juice. Now you can lock yourself in a room, create plumes of vapor and make your own gas chamber with this chemically unbalanced juice!

Guillotine: We couldn't figure out the taste of this one. We ran around for days like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to figure out the taste. And now you can too!

Notice that I didn't include any diseases in my fake ejuices. Because maybe someone reading this or their family member or loved one is suffering from a real disease...such as H1N1.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
How about Crib Death?

It's dreadful the lengths companies will go to to get brand recognition and snappy names.

First, so sorry to hear about your mother.

I was thinking, Smoktech naming it's VW device the SID might be part of the reason people don't really seem to be buying it much.

Well, you know, that and the crunchy threads.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
Think I actually like your made up examples more then the H1N1/swine flu one.... :/ 0o

I think company's will do what they want, but that a negative connotation to their company...isnt likely to Help them biz wise.
Have already see this happen here in the ecig world with company names....and if ya dont know whom what im referring to...that just proves my point ;)

Anyway yall play nice in here, no need for folks to be insulting people.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
Since my mom is dying slowly after being hospitalized for 45 days due to H1N1 (never recuperated, lots of respiratory damage in a former smoker) I'd avoid that juice like the plague (no pun intended).

So I guess it's a trend.......Why not just name juice stuff like Polio, or Alziemers or Heart Attack juice? How about Crib Death?

Im very sorry to hear about your mother :( Thats horrible.

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
Its sad that you put so much emphasis on a name. Or words at all for that matter. Coca cola was named after ....... which it used to contain, but you still drink it...

Vape it or don't but no reason to insult a book by it's cover...

How about you invent something so we can criticize what you name it?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yeah, but Coca Cola was named that as an attempt to tie a brand name to a product description. So calling a vape H1N1 - no that isn't the same thing.

There has never been accounting for taste. If you buy liquids just because they have a dumbass and offensive name - go for it, you have the right, no one stopping you. At the same time, stop copping the attitude toward someone who actually thinks there is a point to not being pointlessly gimmicky and tactless and votes with their own wallet accordingly.

Agent Orange? Perhaps the vendor is genuine and is actually donating proceeds to help Vietnam Vets. But the choice of name for that liquid did create a controversy for the vendor. Despite the vendor possibly having the best of intentions, I'll pass thank you - and go out of my way to help Vietnam Vets in any other way besides... buying that.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Yes.

There was (maybe still is) a vendor who seemed to always be calling their e-liquids something along the lines of "F'ing Wild" or "F-ing this" and F'ing That". It didn't endear me to their line.

I dunno - it just made me think of a bunch of teenage troglodytes putting stuff together on "let's get drunk" night, and via that association I didn't feel comfortable that their quality would be of the level I expect. An unfair assumption certainly; their product may be of excellent flavor and quality ... but....

And on a lighter note, and not "offensive" per se, I just cannot seem to bend my mind round to a happy carefree place with the idea of vaping "Monkey Cream" .......:laugh:

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
First, so sorry to hear about your mother.

I was thinking, Smoktech naming it's VW device the SID might be part of the reason people don't really seem to be buying it much.

Well, you know, that and the crunchy threads.

Well, I think what people are saying is that some of this is psychological, for certain people, names bring up associations that just aren't pleasant. And so they probably won't buy the juice.

Perception is everything.

I mean, I am sure nobody will blame me for not wanting to SEE "H1N1" every day on a bottle label, given that it will invariably remind me of my Mom's illness---- any more than someone who has lost a baby to sudden infant death is going to "want" a mod named SID to hold every day.

These kind of things are valid psychological and emotional responses.

and by the way, I don't care what vendors name their stuff. Just that they should be prepared for the consequences (lost sales) from some people.

How about you invent something so we can criticize what you name it?

I think you've missed the point here somewhat, it is not about ridicule, really.

Many companies pay focus groups a whole lot of money for simple things like their reaction to "names". If you've ever been part of a focus group, there are just a lot of things that are subliminal with people and those things can often turn buyers away from a product. Companies hire focus groups because they want to *optimize* sales, not lose them. :)

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
it just made me think of a bunch of teenage troglodytes putting stuff together on "let's get drunk" night,

I had that same association, pictured a bunch of pimply faced boys still going thru puberty, with a beer keg, guffawing at sophmoric stuff, like the word "mammaries" and "F'ing" and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread